TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 12, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 12, 2013 users admin

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, December 21, 2012 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
What you describe is what I thought I would have when I loaded Firefox. I'll try it again and see what happens.

Naja-THANK YOU for your responses. I'll let you know what happens. Off I go...

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 21, 2012 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
No problem. I hope you figure it out easily.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, December 21, 2012 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Oh, for pete's sake!!!

I just loaded Firefox and I'm fine. I'm able to use both it and Explorer. I swear I did the exact same thing last night and it didn't work!!! Argh!

Maybe I just needed "Naja vibes" this morning. Thanks again, you're a gem.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, December 21, 2012 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Naja has super powers.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 21, 2012 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
haha

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, December 21, 2012 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Naja is goddess of the last day of earth.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, December 24, 2012 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Does anybody know how I can get the 'ring' back when somebody calls me on SKYPE. The only way I know a call is coming in is when the 'phone' turns green. I am on an HP Windows 7.

It was fine up until a couple weeks ago.

Thank you.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 24, 2012 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Blackie stepped on the laptop keyboard and now my windows are stretched sideways and I can't figure out how to return them to normal!!! It is not the magnifyer, I already tried that and it is not the thing at the bottle of the window that changes the size either.

I am so annoyed!!!!!!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 24, 2012 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, I finally found the resolution thing and changed it so I am happy again and not going to kill my cat, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Computer Q: Is there an easy / free way to encrypt email? I need to send a list of names and SSN's and I don't want to send it across the internet unencrypted but I don't know exactly how to make that happen. I thought of mailing it but I am almost as nervous about that.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I usually send things as an attachment with a password, and then call the password to the recipient. I find Excel is the easiest program to do that with.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think that's a great idea sending it as an encrypted attachment. Though if someone is keen enough, I think that the Excel password protection can be broken.

There is an excellent freeware encryption program out there (actually a couple of them) but that would mean that your recipient would have to have it as well I think and they are a little complicated.

The one that I'm thinking of is called TrueCrypt

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As long as you use a nonsensical password, with a mix of characters, numbers and letters, I think it's fairly safe.

Unless you think someone is monitoring your Email for juicy things. LOL.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - You're probably right that it's fairly safe (juicy things aside).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, no juicy things, just paranoid.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I think I have disabled my java but I am not sure. I unchecked the only box I could find that said enabled. Is there a way I can tell by the performance of my computer?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
You can use this link to see if Java is enabled. It also has instructions for turning it on and off.

http://javatester.org/enabled.html

Also, remember if you have more than one browser, you may need to disable JAVA in *each* of them.

Holly

07-21-2001

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I don't understand that page, Karuuna. How do you test for IE?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Holly, it tests whatever browser you are in when you go to the page.

If that first yellow block says:
This web browser can INDEED run Java applets...
Then JAVA is on.

If it says
This web browser can NOT run Java applets,
Then Java is off.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Crap, I tried turning JAVA off, and TVCH didn't work correctly for me either. No log in window, no new messages, no searching.

I re-enabled it, but it still doesn't work.

Pretty much sucks.

Holly

07-21-2001

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, I guess I should ask, "what page?" Where do you go to test it? The HTML is not hyperlinked, so there's no where to go on the page you posted, if you see what I mean. That's what I didn't understand, not the messages you get in the blocks after you test, lol.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I disabled it in firefox. How do I disable java in IE?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Holly, I have no idea what you're talking about.

You just click on the link I posted, and it takes you to the page. It auto-detects if Java is running, once you go there.

All you need to do is click on the link <scratching head>

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Here is an article that can help with checking Java in various browsers and disabling if you want to:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414191,00.asp

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kar! :-)