TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 16, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 16, 2012 users admin

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 4:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Or on my laptops where I installed a boxed copy (or a copy from MSDN).

I just don't trust OEM installed software.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Luckily my son works for Microsoft so I get their software for either free or for a good discount. Because of that advantage I run Windows 7 Ultimate on every computer in the house. About the first thing I do with a new computer is load/upgrade to Ultimate and let it catch up with all the updates, changes, etc. I don't load anything else until I'm pretty sure that it's all settled which sometimes takes a few hours to a couple of days. Kind of concurrently load my Internet security and anti-virus software, also letting it go through all the upgrades, scans, etc. I don't give a computer access to the rest of our LAN until I'm sure it's stable, protected, and running well. Should add that during this initial start-up period I remove some of the annoying OEM software most computers come with today. The main thing I've learned over the years, sometimes painfully, is not to rush.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have the new excel? I am trying to password protect my spreadsheet and I swear I have looked everywhere and can't find it. TIA.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
What new Excel? Are you talking about 2007 or 2010? Are you trying to encrypt the document or protect the worksheet? They are two different things so we need to know which one you are trying to do... If you are trying to password protect the worksheet, look at http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/excel-2010-password-protect-spreadsheet/.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, 2010. It is so different from 2007, I have the hardest time figuring stuff out. Of course I could do the tutorial but that would be too smart, LOL.

I am just trying to make it require a password to open and read. I have nothing on sheet one and all my work on sheet 2, so I figure if I just secure it then I will be good.

Thanks, I will check out that link.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Friday, July 27, 2012 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
My youngest kid did something and now I can't click on anything and get to the page. I can't even get info on other TVCH posters. I have BS (incorrect weather) on my toolbar. I have tried what I know to reset/delete and it isn't working. Can't even tell you where it sends me. (Iplay) Blank page with a box to type in, preceeded with a flower thing that is green, red, yellow, blue. Telling me its an internet search.

If I click a link I don't need a flippin search.

I reset my homepage. This is the first link I have followed that worked. And of course since its a link I don't know where to find any answers you may have. Can you please double post to the Tech questions in the BB thread in case I can't get back here?

Thanks for any and all help.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Friday, July 27, 2012 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
P.S. this is an old computer. Can't even remember when we bought it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Mummy, I have no help for you, I took my computer in for repair.

The bad news is that the hard drive was failing, the good news is that it will be replaced and I won't lose all my info. They said a side of the harddrive failed and they moved the stuff from that over to the good side, but the best solution was to replace, we talked about how new the computer was and that it was worth fixing, unlike the one I am working on now.

So $300 later I should get my computer back by Tuesday, it would have been cheaper if I had backups of my data, but I am not sure how good those are, I am sort of eradict about the back up. He was telling me about a more automatice way to do that so when I pick up I will find out more about that.

Plus he recommended a free anti-virus program instead of what I had so that will save me some money.

Just can't wait to get it back and be able to have more than one window open.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Okay, experts, I keep getting the message to install Adobe flash player, but if I say yes, it tells me that the version I have installed is newer than the one that is trying to install. This message pops up constantly and is a huge annoyance. I've tried turning off UAC, but that didn't work. I've google searched but everything I find is 3 to 5 years old and pertains to XP rather than Win 7. Any help is appreciated.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, August 13, 2012 - 4:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
What is telling you install Adobe Flash? Are you getting the message from your browser? From another app?

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Monday, August 13, 2012 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Nothing in particular that I can tell. I go to a website, such as a fantasy footbal website(ESPN), or even this website, and the message pops up 3 or 4 times...it hasn't done it tonight, but my PC is acting really hinky, so I'm thinking something got through my McAfee. I'm acutually right in the middle of a full system scan even though McAfee tells me that "no action is required".

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, August 13, 2012 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
If THIS website (TVCH) is telling you you need to install Adobe Flash then something's whacky. Unless I've not paid attention lately.

Sometimes, the browser versions get out of sync with the actual Adobe Flash versions. You can check to be sure your add-ons are installed correctly. What browser are you using?

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Monday, August 13, 2012 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
1. My system scan revealed 3 viruses, which have supposedly been cleaned, and a weird program which has been quarantined.

2. That didn't stop the Adobe message from popping up constantly, but curiously not as constantly as the last 4 or 5 days.

3. Using IE8.

4. I agree, this site should not cause an Adobe update message, whether I need it or not.

5. My system has been moving along a lot better since my system scan that eliminated 3 viruses that got through my McAfee defense.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 4:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
The only other thing I could think to do is completely remove Flash and do a fresh reinstall. I don't recall that I've had the same problem with Flash that you're having but I have had it happen with other programs like DirectX.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Well, Adobe just sent me an update that was actually an update and not an older version. I haven't gotten anything since then, so I hope the bombardment is over.

I've had issues with DirectX as well. But not quite on the level that I've just experienced with Adobe Flash. Knocking on wood hoping it's done.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Lycanthrope, I am thinking the virus was your problem, and you have it cured. BUT, if it comes back, think about whether or not you have System Restore turned on. Sometimes you can eradicate a virus, and then it comes back because it hid itself in System Restore. If it comes back again, find it and kill it again, then go turn off System Restore, restart your computer, and turn System Restore back on. You will lose all of your Restore points, but it is better that than allowing a virus to reinsert itself from there.

Oh, and if this is no longer good advice, there will be somebody along shortly to contradict it.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 5:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Turn off system restore. You don't need it. You should have backups of everything you do and you should have the original software for everything you install. System restore gives you a false sense of security. If you get to the point where you think you need it, your best bet is to wipe everything and start over from the beginning.

There is a reason system restore is disabled in almost every enterprise environment.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I don't believe I ever had system restore turned on.

Holly

07-21-2001

Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Where do you find system restore to turn it off (windows 7)? TIA

eta: Also, am I wasting $ buying anti-virus protection? Would the built-in firewall suffice?

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
System Restore: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Restore...when I checked mine, it wasn't on as I've never turned it on. So, if you've got a copy of Win 7 Enterprise, I think it's up to you to turn it on if you want it, but my image came with it off by default.

I've always kept an anti-virus program on my PC. There are lots of good ones, but I use McAfee. Even if someone told me I didn't need it, I'd still use it.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
No. You absolutely ALWAYS need an anti-virus program. I wouldn't necessarily recommend McAfee (for various reasons), but ANY AV program is better than none.

If someone told you that you didn't need an AV program, I would tell you to them that they are smoking crack. If that person was someone you were paying (as in someone to fix your system), I would ask for your money back and go find someone else. That would be absolutely the worst advice anyone could ever give you. Period.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Absolutely do not do away with an anti-virus program. A firewall and anti-virus software work kind of hand-in-hand to protect your computer but they're not the same thing and one is not the substitute for the other.

Holly

07-21-2001

Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Thanks all!

I finally found system restore under system tools but there's no indication it's on/off. When I dble clicked on it, I got the message "do you want this program to make changes..." So I cancelled. Does this mean mine is on and if so, how do I turn it off? TIA

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
It's a matter of opinion but I personally don't recommend you turn off the system restore. It has saved my "bacon" a couple of times.