TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 18, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 18, 2012 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Landi, I have Windows 7

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, NOW we have a problem. There is no add a printer option, I get a mmc.exe error. I tried to work around this issue by printing and email and when the print window came up there is no longer an icon that says add a printer.

Guess I will try one more cold reboot and see if it helps.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Who, the info on that link I gave you includes info on how to set up to display two screens (I think the middle pane of that page). You should be able to view your TV stuff on one "screen" and your chat stuff on another.

Dipo, I googled your error and came up with this on the Microsoft KB: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/sstray64exe-application-error-mmcexe-application/c591a1ec-ad79-4d75-b8c9-6170676e6c96

I would follow the link to do a clean reboot and see if that doesn't help. You've definitely got some issues and it's gonna take some serious troubleshooting, I think.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I swear, Costacat, you are correct. I have already tried to do some trouble shooting and there were 27 updates last night!!!!! I can't get a response to the link to restore to another point, I have no idea which of the stupid updates to uninstall (at least I have that function), I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS RIGHT BEFORE BIG BROTHER.

I am very annoyed. Thanks for the link, I will see if it can help me.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
LOL. Now see, therein lies your problem. I no longer care about Big Brother, so I no longer have problems like this! :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Whoami, I am not a person who hooks televisions and computers together, so I just skipped your question, knowing I would be of no help.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Dipo - you may have picked up a bad update or even a virus. I hope your drive isn't wiped. You may have to reinstall your OS.

Last time this happened to me, it was almost total destruction of my OS. My options were complete reinstall or get a new laptop. Both caused me to lose anything that wasn't on my backup drive. Lost a few programs (couldn't find the original discs to reload).

Hate auto-updates.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well last night the whole computer froze so I shut it off and when it restarted I got a System Recovery screen (that wouldn't come up when I tried before). So I went through all the steps it offered and rebooted.

So the little add printer icon is back but there are still no deviceadding wizards.

I am sort of afraid to try that clean reboot in case it screws up the computer. I think I bought this computer last year around this time, I don't want to have to buy another one already. Oh what is wrong with me, I have my old laptop that I can use if this one needs repair.

Guess I will try the clean reboot and see what happens.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Have you done a recent backup? If so, try the clean reboot...

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
What is a CLEAN reboot?

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
The opposite of a DIRTY one.

<runs quickly from the thread>

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Well THAT was helpful! LOL

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
You'd BETTER run from this thread, girlfriend!!!

Mame, if you really want to know, it's just a way to boot up your system by eliminating programs and drivers that start up when you start up Windows. When you boot up "clean" you tell Windows what you want to start up with... basically a "clean slate." It's one way to troubleshoot what's causing problems. You clean out everything, then start adding stuff back in a few at a time till you figure out the troublemaker.

And what would be a troublemaker? See Scooter. There's your definition! :-)

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
is not Scooter!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
so interesting, I was away from my computer and I came back to a window that says Window Activation Techologies, and the message i

This computer is not running genuine Windows. To use Windows without interruption, this computer needs to be running genuine Windows.

there is a link that is Resolve online now and another link that is read the privacy statement online.

I am paranoid that this is a scammer, but the last update screwed up my computer. When I click on the read privacy Statement online I got this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/windows-7-privacy-statement

This looks like a real microsoft site and I am wanting to click on the resolve link, hopeing it will fix the problem that Microsoft caused when doing all those updates.

Does this look real to you guys?

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I am with you on the paranoia. To be safe I would recommend that you type the address in manually instead of just clicking on the link which could take you to another website altogether.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I had that problem only once with Win7. But I restarted the computer and went back for the updates, successfully got the updates, and the message went away. Did you try that?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
well I clicked on it and it was an official site but seems to want me to buy the software. I have real windows 7, came with the computer, so I am going to go and check my sofware bin and computer file to see what I have to verify that.

anyway in the meantime I will reboot my computer for about the 20th time in the last week.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Where did you get Windows 7? Did you pay for it and license it correctly? That privacy statement link is correct; I just went and looked on the Microsoft site (which, by the way, is really easy to search on so you might could've started there: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/windows-7-privacy-statement

I don't know about the resolve the problem link but Microsoft is VERY picky using "Genuine" software.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Sorry, Dipo, I didn't click in here for awhile to see it's been awhile since the problem started.

Costa, I have no idea if you have windows 7, but this is a common problem for legit copies.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I got Windows 7 when I bought my computer, it is a HP Pavilion that came with windows 7. I know it is real and I did register it so I don't know if it came up because of those previous problems or not, LOL.

Oh well, the saga continues.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I have Windows 7 running on 3 different computers and have never seen the problem. Then again, I buy and install Windows 7 separately, I don't buy computers with OEM software installed. So that may be the difference.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Come to think of it, it's never happened on my big desktop where I installed a boxed copy, but it did happen on my laptop where it came pre-installed.