TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 11, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 11, 2012 users admin

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Well there ya go. I can't help ya train your cleaning lady! Mine already knows not to touch my computer(s)! :-)

Rosie

11-12-2003

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Norton just updated on my computer and now I have Yahoo junk all over my toolbar.

I do not want Yahoo junk all over my toolbar and Nathan (Norton's virtual helper) is no help at all!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Rosie, I'm no expert by any stretch, but you might want to try restoring your computer to a previous date - before the Norton/Yahoo update. There's probably an easier way to get rid of it, but this is what I'd do, (keeping in mind I have a PC, not a Mac).

Start/AllPrograms/Accessories/SystemTools/Restore.

Good luck!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
You ought to be able to simply disable the yahoo tool bar. Click on it, right click on it, search around on the tool bar and turn it off.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
You don't say what version of browser you are using (more information when you ask for assistance helps).

If you are using Firefox, and you have your menus displayed, select View > Toolbars, and then select what is probably named something like Yahoo Toolbars. It may have a check beside the name.

Otherwise, right-click in an empty space in the toolbar and see if you can select to disable the Yahoo toolbar.

As a general rule, when installing software, always read the first couple of dialog boxes displayed. That is where you are "offered" the option to install all sorts of "extras", including additional stuff such as Ask and Yahoo toolbars.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
If it installed a toolbar, you can also go to your control panel/add/remove software and uninstall it.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Thank you for all of the suggestions.

I right clicked and found Yahoo with the checkmark. I unchecked and Yahoo is no longer showing on my toolbar.

Many thanks all!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My computer screen went black for a few seconds, then I had the bubble message pop up briefly: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered." Googled it and it seems to be a common problem, mostly when people are playing games. I was just browsing facebook, though. There seems to be all kinds of fixes for it. So far, it hasn't happened again "knock on wood" but these things usually happen more than once. Anybody have any ideas? Btw, I have Vista.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
You might want to consider upgrading your operating system. Windows Vista hasn't been available for retail sales since October 2010, and hasn't been available on OEM systems since October 2011. Support for Windows Vista ended in April of this year. So you're now using an obsolete operating system. I don't know how old your computer is, but if you are a heavy duty gamer, and you are using games that are newer than your operating system, you should really consider buying a newer system.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Definitely upgrade to Win 7 if you're a Microsoft person. If you want to switch allegiances, I can't really advise you. But my job is migrating computers to Win7 and troubleshooting the problems that this causes. There are alot of drivers and fixes for Win7 machines that are not available for previous OS's. But be careful if you have a lot of old games you still like to play, be sure to stick with 32-bit OS. I upgraded to 64-bit OS and about 75% of my goofy games became unplayable. Didn't bother me much because I realize the greatness of 64-bit...

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I won't comment on the greatness of 64-bit, but I will say that anything that does NOT run on 64-bit pretty much ain't worth running these days. :-)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Um, not a gamer at all. I bought the computer 3 years ago. How would I go about upgrading to Win7?

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Hecka, the cheapest way would be to go to tigerdirect or newegg and buy and OEM version. Probably 99 bucks.

And the cool thing about upgrading to win7, is you won't lose your files. You'll have the option as you install to store all your old stuff in an "old" folder. (this only applies to files, not installed programs) Then after you have installed, and over time have moved all the stuff you want out of the "old" folder, then you delete the old folder in an option you can find in "disk cleanup".

I've done it, been there, I speak the truth :-)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Oh, well, if it costs money, that's not an option at the moment. Not until I get a job. Got an interview on a supposedly sure thing on the 9th.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I got the same message this morning, Heckagirl. But everything is fine now, so unless I get a bunch of these messages or the screen absolutely dies, I think I'm okay for now.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I haven't gotten the message again, either. "knocks on wood"

Whoami

08-02-2001

Monday, July 09, 2012 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Not really a problem, more like a "how do I do this?"

I am connecting my laptop to the HDTV via a 15 pin connector/cable. Windows 7 version.

I want to watch a live stream event on the TV, and be able to still enter a chat room on the PC. Right now I have to switch back and forth between tabs. The live stream is better in full screen mode, so I have to exit out of full screen in order to get to the tab to switch to chat. It's not only tedious, it means when I'm in one screen I'm missing out on what's going on in the other one.

I understand there is some way to split your display so you have two "monitors." The TV would be one monitor, and the laptop the other.

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this? I've tinkered around in the Screen Resolution settings, where there is a split monitor looking thing, but I can't figure out what I'm doing. I do what looks like I should be doing, but nothing happens.

And when I say step by step, I mean, please treat me like I'm a complete idiot. Because, in this instance, I really am!

Oh, and sound-wise, I need the sound from the live stream to be what plays. I could care less about sounds from the chat room.

Also, please let me know how to get back out of that setting when I'm done, so I can go back to having just the monitor on my laptop like normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
So, either there is no way to do what I ask, nobody knows what I'm trying to say, or I asked the question at the height of the other tech thread and everyone was more concerned/too distracted about potentially losing their internet service?

Rosie

11-12-2003

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Too hi-tec for me. Sorry.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Who, I can't help you. I connect my laptop to a projector all of the time, but never to an HDTV. The only thing I can suggest is to just play around, but keep track of what you do so you can get back to where you were. Have you tried googling it? There are a ton of answers, including YouTube videos. I'd check out this article for starters: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/dave-taylor-hdmi-article.html

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Question: This morning I got up and my computer had a big black border and a blue window with a lot of writing. I was half asleep and should have written it down, but didn't, the gist of it was I needed to turn off my computer. So I did and went back to bed.

Then when I was really up, I started my computer and got the safe startup, which stalled, so I restarted again and got that disk check thing, which went through fine.

Now I find the computer no longer recognizes my printer, in fact it has no printers at all. It used to have several options. Anyway, I will reinstall my printer but now I am getting an error message at start up that says sttray64.exe failed. I click ok and move on down the road.

Is there something else I should do to fix that or just continue as is since the computer is working fine?

Oh and Whoami, no clue.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
what Operating system are you on Dipo? I know that my desktop had a HUGE update yesterday and some things were a little wonky today.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Who, You should be able to do that with the split monitor thingy (get to it by right clicking your desktop and selecting from the menu). As far as detailed instructions go, that may be harder because your PC may be different. It should be fairly easy though.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Well, the link you gave me Costa is for using an HDMI connector. The one I'm using is VGA.

I've tried Googling, and all the hits I get only concern themselves with how to make my HDTV into a computer monitor. That much I can do just by hooking up the VGA cable. I haven't been successful in finding how to have two windows open, and have the TV display one window while the computer displays the other.

And Jimmer, I've gotten as far as the right click thing, and playing around with the screen resolution selection. It shows two monitors, and I play around with it but nothing happens.

I guess I can play around with it again and see if I stumble across something. That's how I've learned most of my computing skills.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, i could help you if you had a mac. :-)