TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 10, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2017: General Discussion: News articles outside the house: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 10, 2017 users admin

Lardbrick

01-16-2006

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 4:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lardbrick a private message Print Post    
If someone needed a research project, this would be a fantastic theory to investigate and report. There have been 19 seasons of BB with some repeats so that would be at least 200+ persons to analyze their personal behavior in the real world versus their behavior on BB. There's got to be somebody out there who would like to crunch some numbers for their masters degree so we would know if we are looking at a game player or if this is their true personality. Think of the books already written about the Helsinki Syndrome, the Hawthorn Experiment. All those could shed some light on behaviors.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I have two thoughts on this:

1. We each apply our own overlay of morality on the houseguests. Since no two morality overlays are the same, it is very unfair for us to judge any houseguest or try to determine if their true character is "good."

2. What is "good?" Is there good and bad? Or is their societal norms? We often hear from neighbors and friends of murderers, their shock because the murderer was such a nice person. Doesn't every person have the capability to be "good and bad?"

So, how can we watch people on the TV and judge their character when actually we all have character flaws and take actions that are both "good and bad?" We all have the capability to "act" in a different way with different people.

Ultimately, people do people things. Every day, not just on our screen. Actions and goodness vs. badness are all subjective, no agreement can be reached because we all filter with our own moral overlays.

This is the stuff that makes me worry about my son because he's going to apply to play this game. The idea is to do whatever you need to do to be the final winner but if you do x or y then you're judged a horrible person by the viewers. It's quite contradictory.

Calimom3

07-12-2007

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calimom3 a private message Print Post    
Luckily, most of the HGs are forgotten once their season is over. I consider myself a HUGE fan, yet I often have to google search certain people when their name is mentioned! Evel Dick had more haters than fans, yet many here follow his social media sites. It's so ironic how the HGs think being on BB will bring fame/fortune/opportunities... they should have to name 3 former players who succeeded from their BB stint! During Jeff's pre-house interviews, one of these geniuses even brought up a former HG who got married and had a baby...not even realizing they were talking TO the person they were talking ABOUT! Recruits are often difficult for me to watch...

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
What makes you think Dick had more haters? He has a huge fan base, way more than majority of these past and present HG's

Because some people didn't like him doesn't mean he didn't have many more who loved him.

Imo he made the season exciting, liked him or not this board was buzzing! A lot of times it was so busy it way too many attempts to post. And got shut down for being overloaded.... people were getting time outs for breaking posting rules

Have to say ...... that hasn't happened in a very long time.

I say it was more about people loved to hate him, but just coming back for more. 😜😉

I miss those days.

This season for me has been the absolute worst! First season I deleted show on my dvr. Can not stomach Paul or Xmas

And yes they are disliked, but will still have many fans as did dick.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Do we become a bully when we constantly slam the person we think is a bully in the house? :-)

Calimom3

07-12-2007

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calimom3 a private message Print Post    
I loved Evel, except for the way he treated Jen... he PLAYED the game, physical AND mental! I always felt their were more negative comments here, and many times some of us were given a "time out!" Yes, I miss the days of barely keeping up with all the posts...BB needs some major re-vamping, or at least some changes in predictably!

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
BB needs all new comps to begin with and truly go by "expect the unexpected" Go back to earning some of their food. Have penalties and make them stick. That's for starters IMO. Plus no vets.

Calimom3

07-12-2007

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calimom3 a private message Print Post    
Good point Lazylu---last night someone was complaining about how mean Paul was and they started using name-calling... the irony wasn't lost! I think it usually comes down to most people defend the players they like, find only faults in players they don't care for.

Calimom3

07-12-2007

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calimom3 a private message Print Post    
When the players (and some posters) complain about a comp being a VETO comp when last year it was an HoH comp, you know it's too predictable. I really wish there was a list on the BB website for viewers to see the comps in order, once the HGs are sequestered. Each year we get conspiracy theories about how certain comps favor certain players. This year it was stated comps would not change despite Xmas' injury, yet many suspected they DID change. Without Paul, it really wasn't a help if they DID change them, she didn't truly "win" any of them on her own!

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I think a list would be a good idea.

Gidget

07-28-2002

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
Instead of have nots I would like to see privileges tied to players in comps and by random draw. For example, Paul is meat for the week, Kevin is billiard table for the week, Josh is exercise equipment for the week. First three out lose those privileges for the whole house. Would be a lot more pressure to perform than to throw comps. Especially where food is concerned.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The idea is to do whatever you need to do to be the final winner but if you do x or y then you're judged a horrible person by the viewers. It's quite contradictory.

Exactly!

Calimom3

07-12-2007

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calimom3 a private message Print Post    
Gadget: but remember Dr Will would purposely lose things for the house, just to be obnoxious/mean! I remember one food comp he literally sat on the grass with an adorable grin on his cute face, and laughed about his team losing! I think people should lose/gain things for themselves, like the first 3 out can't go upstairs (so no HoH visits/food/chess), and the final 3 get a privilege, like an extra couple hours of sleep...

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Calimon3. I like your idea, lose/gain for themselves.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Nah. I can only speak for myself but I enjoy the scheming, lying, backstabbing and other creative strategies used in the game. The game justifies the means to get to the end. What I don't like is using the game as an excuse for flat out unnecessary bad behavior but if you must act a fool now and again, you're overall character will shine through unless that IS your overall character. Point is when you're on camera 24/7, you cannot possibly be AWN every minute. We the viewers can see who you really are. And because you signed up for the show, we are allowed to judge like it or not.

Me? Wouldn't dare put myself in the house for many reasons including not being judged ... or committing a felony. Lol

Gidget

07-28-2002

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
I don't think there would be as much motivation to win privileges for yourself as peer pressure to win for all.

Dr. Will was an anomaly. To this day his game has not been replicated though some have used some of his techniques. In his season Dr. Will was the only one who had a plan and understanding of the game. The others were feeling their way. It is like that in the early seasons of all the popular reality shows. Then they become predictable.

And who says there can't be both group earnings and individual earnings?

Texgal

07-18-2017

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texgal a private message Print Post    
Instead of AFP, give an extra stipend for the one person with the most wins which could include HOH,Veto, and safety's.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
And because you signed up for the show, we are allowed to judge like it or not.

But as was mentioned above, if they are bullies for how they treat others, what are we for how we treat them? Because our comments are visible to the whole world too, for anyone that cares to see.

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
And minus the $ amount of stipend each time the come in last,

Texgal

07-18-2017

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texgal a private message Print Post    
Oooo. Lostfan, I like that idea.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
We are viewers watching their behavior unedited. We make judgements based on their persona in and out of "game". Their very own biographies and interviews and performance tapes give a clue but the rubber meets the road when they eventually show themselves. Hard to put into words but IMO we get to know the person as much as the player.

Take Marc... we saw him go off some and even be accused of being a bully himself but come on, he was anything but by the majority of his words, actions, decisions, etc. my impression. Nice guy in general, lousy BB player in general. I liked him. That's a judgment I made. Others may see it differently. So be it. Again... agree to disagree.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't agree.

It's one thing to evaluate their game play. It's quite another to say that is who they are in real life.

And if you judged Josh only by how he interacts with others, and you didn't see his soliloquies, you'd have two entirely different impressions of him. We actually see very little of what is really going on in their minds.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Chippy, I totally agree with you.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Well, maineiac, we'll agree to agree. Lol
Stick a fork in me.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post