TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 02, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor XLI - A New Era: 11th Show, Dec 1: Archive through December 02, 2021 users admin

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Sunday, November 28, 2021 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
"Do or Die"

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, December 01, 2021 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Great episode!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 01, 2021 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, who went home, I had a phone call so missed the entire tribal council.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, December 01, 2021 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
The show has aired so I will be spoiling below . . .

'Do or die' had to do with the immunity challenge. Whoever dropped out first would be forced to play 'do or die' at tribal council. If the person 'died' in the 'do or die', they would be immediately eliminated and there would then be no vote. If the person 'lived' in the 'do or die', they would then be safe from being voted out. All players had the option of not participating in the immunity challenge. They would then be safe from ending up in the 'do or die' but they also gave up their chance of winning immunity.

Heather and another (Lianna?) chose to not participate saying later they figured they had no chance any way. Deshawn dropped out of the immunity change first. Danny,after an emotional day of reflecting on the loss of his father, won.

Deshawn, knowing he was at the bottom,joked that he 'died, at least he could say he wasn't voted out. They all debated over who to vote out if Deshawn 'lived.

I assumed the 'do or die would be a 50/50 chance. It wasn't. It was a shell game with a 33% chance. Deshawn lived and was safe. Liana was voted out.

Prevous to the vote, Deshawn expressed his conflicted feelings about voting Shan out. Liana, who I have not cared for previous to this, did an excellent job summing up what it is like to be a person of color playing the game. It was an excellent learning moment and a well done episode.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, December 01, 2021 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Sorry Dipo - it took a moment to poke it out on my tablet. O:-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 01, 2021 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kappy, I appreciate it!!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, December 01, 2021 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just my opinion, I’d say that Heather’s comment in the ensuing tribal discussion was kind of off the mark. I guess she must be living in a cave or something to not be aware of what POC go through in the world.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 1:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
There are none so blind as those that WILL not see!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 1:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Heather has rubbed me the wrong way and did it again tonight.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I was kind of surprised they aired Heather's clueless remarks, but there are likely millions of Americans who are equally oblivious.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 8:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I kept thinking the show was running out of time to do a vote so I was sure DeShawn went home. Wrong! I'm glad he stayed tho, but a 1 in 3 chance, wow.

And Liana chose not to use her shot in the dark. Mistake, just like Shan not playing her idol.

I still wish Ricard went home, but I just haven't warmed up to him entirely.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I haven't warmed to Ricard entirely, but he is playing a masterful game. It would appear that Xander played his extra vote to protect Ricard. It's a shame he had to waste that vote because they can't trust Erika.

I'm surprised Liana didn't use her shot in the dark. That was kind of a fail for this season as only one person even attempted it.

And Shan sitting in the jury -- looked like she smelled a fart. I hope she hasn't turned into a bitter juror. She just looked mad whereas the others were laughing and smiling. Maybe the editing, but she didn't even appear moved by the discussion. Strange.

And Heather appears to have lived a very protected privileged life. I hope they don't goat her to the end. But I understand why they likely will.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
After the 2020 election, I accept that there are MANY like Heather in our country. At least she is willing to learn. Many aren't.

I don't like Ricard but will accept that he is playing a phenomenal game. The man voted out his closest ally and she still can't wait to vote for him to win.

I'm really hoping the preview for next week of DeShawn going against Danny is a mislead.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
I thought Shan came in to tribal a bit put out as anyone would be... but I DO think she was very moved by what was happening. I honestly think shes a very in tune, very aware person that is being edited a bit unfairly. I dont see her being bitter but I could very well be wrong.

I like Richard and Deshawn and Xander and Danny... any one of them could win and Id be happy.

Im really liking this season and last nights tribal was so good but I was happy to see Liana go

I knew the first box was the right pick. It just looked different to me. Good for Deshawn! cuz that would have been a crappy way to go out.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am thrilled that Shan and especially Liana are out. I would ha e preferred their exits being prior to becoming jury members.

I also don't particularly care for Ricard but he is playing well. I'd like Xander to win the game.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I would have hated for anyone to go out on that twist! I don't like pure luck twists on any show.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I absolutely hated that Do or Die Twist. If I'm going out - you are going to vote me out.
Unfortunately, it will be back in S42 because they filmed it prior to finding out how much we hate all these advantages/disadvantages/twists, etc. etc. etc.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I haven't watched the entire episode yet, but I did get to the part about the twist, and I, too, am not a fan!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I didn't mind the penalty but I think it was too big and too much based on chance. Maybe a lose your vote at the next Tribal Council kind of penalty or something like that would be okay. Not a game ending one. The contestants (and to a lesser extent, the fans) have invested in the season and don't want to see someone leave as the result of bad luck.

On a positive note, I can't put it into words but I like the way Survivor has played out having more POC in this season better than the way it played out on Big Brother. There has been more opportunity to express some sincere feelings and define the issue better on Survivor, which is odd given how much longer Big Brother is and how many more episodes they do for Big Brother.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I don't mind an element of luck involved, but pick wrong and you're out isn't fair in a game that takes so much out of you. I was shocked but very glad he won. (I also noticed the time in the episode ticking away and was sure he must have picked wrong!)

Shan did look bitter. Don't know if she was, but her face looked that way. Liana was excellent in her words, really expressed everything perfectly. And there are loads of Heathers around, at least she was honest about it, and happy to hear more and understand more.

I would have liked to known what Erika thought. Choosing my words carefully, but if I may comment that she's darker skinned than either Shan or Liana. I'm not sure her heritage, I'd guess Phillipino and Indian, probably not African. But surely everywhere she goes she's a dark skinned woman, faces prejudice by some, the same way the others do. I thought they could at least bring her into the conversation, even though I know in the US the African part of color is significant, dark skinned people like Erika face similar prejudice because, well, it's not like racists are particularly worldly wise and judge heritage accurately. Just thought it was weird for her to have to sit there like she wasn't involved in their experience at all, even peripherally.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I thought that too, about Erica not being included.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It seems that Americans feel that POC who are not African American don't experience the same level of discrimination as African Americans and therefore their concerns, feelings and experiences don't tend to be addressed on these shows. They're not white and they're not African American so they're kind of non-entities. I think that's unfortunate to say the least. We saw the same thing on Big Brother this year as well.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I see there is a difference in treatment in closer interactions, i.e. once Erika is in a situation like a job interview, her experience will likely be different from Liana's because of the US relationship with race not just colour. But the snap judgements of Erika - when people see a "black" person walking along the road, when she's followed for "fear" of shop-lifting, pulled over for driving, the off the cuff comments etc. - will be very similar. Follow through for her in those situations might differ though.

I think that is where it comes from, the cultural side of the African (of descent) experience, means the prejudice has so many layers. With other dark poc the worst of the prejudice stops earlier(?) in any interaction when people realise she might (superficially) look "black" but she's from a "better"/"more trustworthy"/insert-your-bias culture.

But the exclusion, with not even a comment of "you must see some of this too" type comments, was a little... prejudicial in itself. Not entirely off-norm for Jeff though, who always seems so behind in understanding these things. He's trying though.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Erika is Canadian, and I believe she mentionned she was born in the Philippines. She is one of the first Canadians to be allowed to play the game!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I too was hoping Erika would participate in the conversation too. Perhaps she did but whatever was said didn't make the editor's cut.

The game of chance is a tough one. We all know how they avoid a tie vote to avoid having to draw rocks, so to have this be a 'thing' now is hard to swallow. Thankfully it turned out okay for him or else I'd be fuming mad today. I do like the penalty for being the first one out of a challenge and losing your vote could be a good alternative.