TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
1st Show, Sep 22

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor XLI - A New Era: 1st Show, Sep 22 users admin

Survivor
Survivor (on CBS)

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 23, 2021Chieko25 09-23-21  7:08 am
Archive through September 24, 2021Tntitanfan25 09-24-21  5:28 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
My problem with the rebus is I couldn't get past thinking "lying" for the lions, lol.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I've always loved rebus puzzles. I'll keep playing along.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw the puzzle! Hit rewind. How fun. I'm going to play along with the 'kids'.

Yeah, I don't get the 'guys' thing either as I use the word all the time and there's just females with me 99% of the time. But whatever. If it makes Jeff feel better then so be it.

I too loved JD. And I didn't like the guy who complained about 'guys'. He just seems *itchy to me. UGH. I will try to give him another chance but so far nope.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I'm with you, Brenda...I don't like him either. I started off liking him fine, but the further into the episode it got, the less I liked him.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Jeff is getting hammered on Twitter and the blogs for dropping "guys" (and rightfully so).

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It appeared to be an over zealous attempt to solve a “problem” that few people seem to find a problem. Seemed a bit disingenuous to me.

However, I love Survivor and Jeff has been a great host. Great opening episode!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Ricard getting hammered on Twitter as well. I am sure he is a great guy but he didnt get a good edit. I wanted to like him but so far I dont

Chippy

08-16-2007

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Yankee here. You guys is part of my vocabulary and it’s gonna stay. Lived in Pittsburgh a few years and it was youse guys which always made me cringe and laugh at the same time.
If this turns out to be woke social justice survivor, I’m out.

Not liking Ricard and I don’t care who he married. Lol.

Seems like without strength in this season, your tribe is doomed. Looks wicked hard so far.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It seems odd to me that folks don't think using 'guys' is a big deal (on twitter), but dropping it is a big deal? If it's not a big deal to use it, why is it a big deal not to?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
imo, because it is iconic phrase to this show and no one had a problem with it except Ricard...at least that is how the edit showed

I say you guys all the time, it is like saying ya'all, to me

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Since Jeff felt like he shouldn't say 'guys' any more, why didn't he just stop saying it. I doubt most people would have noticed him dropping that one word. It's the big display that is irritating.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Brenda, agree. I'm thinking Ricard had the problem with it and spoke up. Not liking Ricard. He can go.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, September 24, 2021 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Exactly, Pamy. That is what I meant to say last night. In most parts of the country "you guys" means exactly what y'all means. Hell, it took me twenty years of living in the South to be able to say y'all correctly and casually. But if guys is offensive, Jeff could easily say, "Come on in, Players." The phrase is of no consequence to me, except as an iconic Survivor-ism.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 7:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Nowadays it’s like people look for stuff to call offensive or pat themselves on the back for doing some inconsequential action like this. The whole thing was dumb. I like Jeff less for it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I still don't get it. Sorry. I think he honestly asked a question, altho I think it was the wrong time and place. Why expect people to stand out that way when they are in a game where people can vote them out for any reason?

I personally don't care if he says "guys' or not. And I don't think less of him either way. I'm going to respect his right to do what he thinks is right.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Tradition has something to do with it.

Fiddler On the Roof -- "Tradition. Tradition."

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As traditions go, it doesn't seem like a big one, at least not to me. I never gave it a thought that he always said it.

Now, if he wanted to change the "tribe has spoken," that would make more sense in terms of "tradition."

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I just think that Jeff and the show made an unnecessarily big deal out of it in an attempt to demonstrate that they aren't sexist. He also put the players on the spot. Bottom line is it is all about ratings and looking good and relevant. To their credit (or discredit) it has got us talking and posting more in this thread and that is (likely) a win for Survivor.

I always laugh over Jeff's catch phrases. It's like listening to an old friend. When he says, "I'll go tally the votes" I always groan and think that he isn't tallying anything. LOL he should say "I'll go arrange the votes to create the most drama possible when I read the results".

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL Jimmer!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Survivor kind of proved this year's BB point...first person voted out this season was a black guy. Why? he was strong, appeared to work at camp but he just didnt jive with the others as well as the white woman.

Do I think they voted him out because they are racist? no but it is interesting that it still happened.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Jimmer, the only problem is that Jeff is pretty sexist, LOL and his raising the point didn't change that.

AND OMG, I get annoyed EVERY SINGLE TIME he says "tally the votes". It has bugged me from the beginning of the show.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yeah that's pretty funny. Jeff has his moments for sure.

It's hard to know how much to read into their voting out Eric. I'd probably have to rewatch the episode to get a better idea of their reasoning, but my impression was that he was voted out for being a strong physical threat. Though it's possible that being black caused him to be perceived as more of a strong physical threat and that would be racist.

On the other hand, the other tribe chose to vote out the "weak" white woman?

Wow we can go in circles once we start thinking about these things.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Eric dug his own grave when he started badmouthing Tiffany to people that didn’t see things the same way he did and who actually outed him to other tribe members. There was absolutely no indication that race played any role in that vote. Why go there?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Why go there? Going there is part of America right now. Whenever something bad happens to a black person, it's reasonable to consider if their being black influenced what happened, simply because bad things do happen to people because they are black. It's also reasonable to conclude, based on evidence, that it had no impact in this particular situation.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Survivor is a social experiment. Did implicit bias play a role in the first person voted off? I don't know. They may regret getting rid of a strong player if their team continues to lose but they were willing to take that chance.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Sometimes bad things just happen to people cause they’re jerks. I’m saying going there with no reason to go there divides a nation, one that has done so much work to change what should have never happened. I’m old. I’m seeing the pendulum swing backwards and it’s just sad to me.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sure. In these games (as in life) there is a lot of the cart before the horse. People instinctively or subconsciously dislike someone and then find “logical” reasons to support that dislike. I don’t remember the events well enough to try to assess if that happened here.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
He was trying to preempt the challenge and line up a weak woman for the fall. Said she jumped in the water instead of helping them find the oar they couldn’t locate. He pushed it further after they lost the second challenge. Some didn’t take kindly to it and they told her what he was saying. Then they voted him out despite his physical strength. Not sure the black woman voted him out too. My mind doesn’t think in those terms…. He put a target on his back. And even he didn’t see it coming cause he was kinda arrogant too. My take.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recap, Chippy. :-)

I understand the frustration but that is the very low price that has to be paid for decades of discrimination. When something bad happens to a black person, it’s a real possibility that should always be considered.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
See to me those kind of generalizations don’t even make sense IMHO. Not arguing, just completely disagree with the premise. Interesting though how getting voted out of one game show because of color is okay and getting voted out on another game show for no obvious relationship to color is questioned. Lol.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert CA Name

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: