TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Unwanted Touching in Survivor

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor XL - Winners at War: Unwanted Touching in Survivor users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There is some ongoing discussion about this so I thought we should have a separate thread about it. I've moved some posts over from the Survivor General Discussion thread (see below).

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, January 31, 2020 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Saw an article on ew.com, I think it was. Jeff was talking about the contestants. He said they wouldn't have Richard Hatch on after the last season, because he was also accused of unwanted touching.

And the real contestant he wanted back was Cochran, but apparently he didn't call back.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, January 31, 2020 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm not surprised they aren't having Richard back. Richard Hatch walked around naked and bumped into people.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Hi all
How is everyone? Feels like its been a while since I have visited. My son and I have recently started watching old seasons of Survivor. Which is so weird. I have never missed a single episode ever. But I haven't watched any seasons after their first run. Anyways, we are currently watching Survivor All Stars (which I think is season 8 from 2004).
So we just watched the episode where in a challenge, (naked) Richard blocks Susan and supposedly rubbed his "junk" up on Susan and (at the time) she says "that's gross" but the rest of that day/night/next day, she cant stop thinking about it and ends up leaving the game because of it.
I remember THEN thinking she was making too much a deal of it.
BUT whoa, NOW I feel completely different. And I am just appalled at the attitudes of so many from Kathy Vavrick-OBrien to Jeff. P.
Now I know a lot was brought up when Dan S in the most recent season was touching Kellee and Jeff did apologize at the reunion show and said they were going to make changes, but no one seemed to bring up this Richard/Susan incident. Which was pretty darn flagrant if you ask me.
Just wondering what your guys' opinions are or were. (If you can even remember that far back). Susan the day after, was EXTREMELY upset. But many people felt she was just doing it as strategy or to sue Richard. Which I don't think was the case.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, February 03, 2020 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Julieboo... I thought a LOT about the Richard Hatch and Sue Hatch incident during this past season... Many people forget about Survivor Thailand "Grindgate that involved Ghandia and Ted... she accused him of sleeping very close to her and grinding himself on her... on more than 1 occasion.

My opinion is that Richard/Sue and Ted/Ghandia is worse than Dan/Kellee... because I don't believe Dan's touching was sexual in nature... or involved his "man parts." His touching made her feel uncomfortable, she asked him to stop touching her but he chose to not heed her requests.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Monday, February 03, 2020 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
I agree. Not saying that Kellee didn’t feel violated, but after rewatching the Sue/Richard incident I am appalled at myself for thinking it was NBD back then. Because it WAS a big deal.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
One of the reasons for not asking Richard Hatch back was when he got in trouble with tax evasion on the $1 million that he won, he told the IRS that Mark Burnett told him "not to worry" about paying taxes on the money. It was some B.S. like since he won the money out of country, he didn't need to pay U.S. taxes. I don't think Mark Burnett appreciated being thrown under the bus with the IRS. It still didn't prevent Hatch from going to prison, but Mark Burnett was done with him.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Did anyone else’s opinion of what happened between Richard/Susan change? (For anyone who remembers and also rewatched the incident plus the Comments of fellow all star contestants?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven’t watched it since it was first shown but I remember it quite well. I found it troubling at the time, however, I know it didn’t get the same reaction, possibly because of the following (unfair?) reasons.

a) The viewers were familiar with Richard. He had walked around nude a lot during the first season. No one found it sexual.

b) Richard was considered a “character” and he had a certain respect at the time for being the first winner.

c) Richard is gay and considered sexually non-threatening toward women. I think people were reluctant to criticize him.

d) Susan had a reputation for being tough and many viewers found her unlikable (the snake comment, for example).

e) The touching wasn’t considered sexual (see above) so that made it “okay”. It also happened during a competition where they were passing each other on a narrow beam. It wasn’t like he randomly walked up to her.

All of the above aren’t fair but that’s partly why it didn’t get more of a reaction.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I agree with you Jimmer. It just wasn't a big deal 20 years ago when Richard Hatch walked around naked.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Very good points Jimmer. And all of those points most likely played into my perception back in 2004. But watching it now again in 2020 it’s amazing how differently I feel.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Very good points Jimmer. We look at things through a different lens now, after Me Too.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, February 07, 2020 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I remember thinking it was a big deal. Walking around camp naked was one thing but by remaining naked in a competition, where they knew they might end up physically touching, I always felt he did it on purpose because others would not want to go near him. Susan had the unfortunate bad luck of being caught in his game of using nakedness as a tool. Hatch was the first villain of Survivor and that move in that comp sealed it.

What I find just as bad are the physical comps where they literally manhandle each other and some strip others of their clothes. It might be funny among friends who have known each other and have skinny dipped together but it's a different matter when they aren't friends and it's going to be aired on national television.

I think the days of producer-manipulated situations of forcing them to wear only underwear are long over.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Friday, February 07, 2020 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I think the days of producer-manipulated situations of forcing them to wear only underwear are long over.

From your lips to the Survivor god's ears...we can only hope!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, February 07, 2020 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
agree!!!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
So first episode, they're all in their underwear!

Sigh

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
and Wendell's is the worst, that thing flips and flops so much I get dizzy

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I thought many of them had decent outfits.. But not all!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have not noticed much flipping and flopping, but I am old. Unless Wendell is the one in bright blue underpants. They seemed to be showing a lot of footage of that particular model. I just thought it was product placement, so to speak.

For anyone who is distressed about missing out on the Survivor nitty-gritty, like why Sandra got the immunity idol because y'all were distracted by the flipping and flopping, be advised there is hope for the future. Sometime after menopause and fifteen years later for men, one might actually look at the underwear and reflect that both Jockey AND Fruit of the Loom now make relatively inexpensive mesh quick-dry underwear for men, whereas Ex Officio used to have the lock on that market and could charge TWENTY-FIVE dollars for ONE pair of men's quick-dry underwear. We are heading out on a six week overseas trip next week after second Survivor 40 episode, and I am pretty sure I packed Bigdog an identical pair of those bright blue legged mesh boxer briefs.

Thanks, Pamy. You are a very bad influence. The things we learn at the TVClubhouse! I would post more, but I need to go back and re-watch last night's show for "product placement".

Sigh ...

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oh wait!!! Life coach alert! Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. It is NOT too late to go to Target and purchase some of those Fruit of the Loom or Jockey bright blue legged boxer tropical-weight mesh briefs for a loved one. Buy a 2-pack, and both of you wear a set during show airings.

I blame Pamy

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Juju, yes he is the one in the bright blue package

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
<---takes blame :-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL at the thought of Big dog in those bright blues!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, February 14, 2020 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Bigdog is quite the looker in those bright blues. He also has bright red.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 14, 2020 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I actually can visualize that 😇

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You know you did, Pamy.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert CA Name

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: