TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 19, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor XXXIX - Island of the Idols: Dan and how Survivor is presenting the situation: Archive through December 19, 2019 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Just a general observation. North Americans (especially) are used to having a lot of space. We live in great big countries, that for their size, are sparsely populated. Even our cities aren’t very crowded for the most part. Most of us live in dwellings that have lots of rooms. Some are huge.

One of the first things a lot of couples do when they find out they’re having a baby is create a separate room ... just for the baby. Amazingly different than the way people live and think in many other places in the world.

We are relatively isolated compared to a lot of the world and other times in history. There’s certainly nothing wrong with an individual not wanting to be touched. However, it’s a loss for everyone if all touching is automatically viewed in a negative way.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
In social situations I don't want people I don't know or barely know touching me.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
The cheatsheet story makes it sound like Jack and Elizabeth are a couple... if so I guess he's not attending in support of Elizabeth.

It's really too bad that this great cast has been tarnished by the events that happened this season.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I don't think a feral cat would enjoy being touched.

Touch is not healthy for them.

I guess I have a feral cat temperament.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, thanks for making my point. :-)

If they are raised with people in a safe environment, they enjoy touch.

If they are raised in an unpredictable environment, with lots of dangers, they are afraid of everything; and so don't enjoy being approached -- they fear it.

So, *HEALTHY* touch is vital from *birth*. To prevent overly fearful development.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Kar, have you ever done any reading about Homeopathic Constitutional Types?

I am a Nat Mur

I think there are only 10 constitutional types so it is a quick read to cover them all.

There are many internet sources.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
In social situations I don't want people I don't know or barely know touching me.

Yes but the Survivor people basically live together 24 hours a day under extreme conditions and help each other "survive". They compete in competitions where they don't just touch each other. They literally pull and push each other around. They don't barely know each other.

Ark

07-09-2001

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ark a private message Print Post    
I think some people are translating my statements as I never want to be touched. That is not what I said at all. If I have a deep relationship with someone, I have no problem with touching. I don't form deep relationships in a couple of weeks. I've known several of my neighbors for many years. We're friendly, we're neighborly, we attend parties together. None of the men are welcome to touch me in any way and I don't think any of them would ever consider feeling my hair or rubbing my ankles. If anyone else welcomes touching then go for it but don't be surprised if some people don't like it and ask you not to touch them. Not liking it is OK too.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think there are certain situations though where touching is more generally accepted. Comradery among athletes on sports teams is an example. Lots of hugging and pats on the back, etc. I can see a similarity to sports teams and Survivor.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kar, have you ever done any reading about Homeopathic Constitutional Types?

Nope. I'm a scientist. :-)

Alaginger

07-11-2002

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alaginger a private message Print Post    
Interesting article by People regarding the pretaping, the cast support, and the event that happened that had Dan removed.

https://people.com/tv/inside-the-survivor-finale-after-dan-spilos-removal-security-protests-and-contestant-no-shows/

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
The cheatsheet link said this: "Additionally, rumored couple Elizabeth and Jack Nichting reportedly declined the invitation as the Olympic swimmer has received the most backlash from the situation, including death threats."

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Huh!! Turns out it was Jack and Jamal who fell in love. They now live together!

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Can anyone say letdown? All that hoopla and hype, bringing Kellee on at the end and she said virtually nothing.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
So I’m not sure I understand any more than I did before. Kelly mentioned “ sexually harassed” several times. So is unwanted touching considered sexually harassing or did he do more? Yes, you’d think she’d have something more to say,she had months to prepare.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
All we saw him actually do to Kellee on the show is try to touch her hair after she asked him if it was dirty and he immediately stopped and apologized when she was upset. I don't mean to minimize her pain but that isn't sexual assault or being sexually harassed. The rest is unexplained innuendo. They have never actually said anything about what else he did to Kellee.

Mimi

04-30-2009

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mimi a private message Print Post    
I always thought you had to show up to the finale. Part of the contract, unless you were having a baby or something.

Spear

08-05-2001

Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 12:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
All we saw him actually do to Kellee on the show is try to touch her hair after she asked him if it was dirty and he immediately stopped and apologized when she was upset.[...]

No, that's not true. In the very first episode, we saw Dan lie down on Kellee's thigh and we saw him massage her back and neck. And it wasn't just her -- we also saw Molly complain about Dan being "really touchy".

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Mimi, Algingers link says the contestants get an extra $10k to show up, but they are not obligated to do so.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
In the very first episode, we saw Dan lie down on Kellee's thigh and we saw him massage her back and neck.

Thanks for pointing that out, Spear. I'd re-watch it if I could, just to see what they showed.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I think he laid his head on her thigh while everyone was resting. I don’t recall a back massage but I’m sure I missed it. Personally, I think Kelly is hypersensitive and possibly over exaggerating, but if he tried to give her a massage, that crosses a line. Ewwww.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
it was more of a neck massage while she was lying down. it wasn't good.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I remember that...I wonder if I still have it on my DVR....I will check. (I save shows that Rae likes in case she's watching them, I would hate to delete something she's planning on watching, and I can't tell what she's watching LOL)

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I just noticed the little 'X' on Dan's picture.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
What I think is most pitiful about the entire incident is Survivor's answer to the problem....put another staff member on to handle these sorts of things. Give some sensitivity training before they go.

First thing I'd change? GIVE THEM SOME CLOTHES TO WEAR! If you are parading nubile young women in front of a bunch of men in their underwear or bikinis these things are going to happen. I've seen the men in their underwear with their obvious protruding man parts bouncing...uck it's disgusting. CBS...Survivor? CLOTHES PLEASE! That would go a long way to taming the shrew.

Second thing I'd change....separate sleeping quarters. I realize they have them build shelters as a team experience but it seems that there's something else that could do that and have the shelters already provided. Since they keep going back to Fiji build some permanent shelters there for the teams.

Just my opinions. So until February...signing off!