TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 13, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor XXXIX - Island of the Idols: Dan and how Survivor is presenting the situation: Archive through December 13, 2019 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I still don't understand how Kellee's crying can be deemed "over reaction".

The range of reactions to anything. is so vast, rage, sorrow, denial, dissociation, tough attitude, regression, indifference.

Kellee's tears could have been relief that production seemed to have listened to her, but they could have been from realizing that this could jeopardize her game, it could have been the letdown she felt when he resumed the behavior after the merge.

We really do not know what exactly caused the tears.

Rob Cesternino says that season 40 cast members have said that they got unprecedented warnings at the start of their season.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I guess we can assume Dan won’t be there on finale night. I’m wondering how much of this is Survivor covering their ass? I’d love to hear from all sides someday, hopefully we will. I’d think the ppl of Survivor would have to have something very damaging on Dan or he could sue the pants off of them ,also it would be hard to find other male players in the future. We deserve to know the whole story otherwise they shouldn’t have gotten their viewers involved.
I say let’s make last nigts tribal cancel void and bring back Elaine.

Ark

07-09-2001

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ark a private message Print Post    
I'm not assigning anything sexual to Dan's touching. Some people don't like to be touched. I don't like to be touched for the most part. This is my space and that is your space. Other cultures have their own rules about men touching women. Bottom line, unless you're invited to touch someone keep your body parts to yourself. If someone asks you not to touch them and you continue to do so, prepare to suffer the consequences.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I wonder how this would play out if Dan was a woman or from another culture that’s a little more touchy feely?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
We really do not know what exactly caused the tears.

I agree and I said as much in my original post.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If someone asks you not to touch them and you continue to do so, prepare to suffer the consequences.

I think that is the bottom line. If someone says to back off, then back off.

I've very rarely seen a reality show, movie, TV show, real life, anything where someone specifically asked if it was okay before touching someone else in a non-aggressive, apparently non-sexual manner. But if someone says to back off, then back off immediately.

If Dan had stopped touching Kellee, this likely would have been a non-issue. It's that simple. Kellee deserved to have her personal space respected.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
She did.

And Dan deserved not to be lied about.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
There’s more to the story. I just know Survivor wouldn’t pull a man like Dan out of the game this late without proof. And a “brush on a leg as he got out of the boat” would not rise to that level of consequence. IMHO

Chieko

11-20-2003

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
And Dan deserved not to be lied about.

Just to clarify, who do you think may have lied about him?

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Read on Survivor Whispers Facebook page that the final won’t be live

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
is anyone is Dan's personal life coming forward? I would think after last night the flood gates would open to any clients that felt he was inappropriate.

when will we start hearing about lawsuits because I'm sure that is in the works on both sides

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Just to clarify, who do you think may have lied about him?

Two of the women have already admitted they exaggerated their claims as game play to get the target on Dan. Do you not believe them?

Also, not quite a lie because I believe in her mind she really *thought* things happened the way she described them, but as we have discussed ad nauseum, Kellee clearly exaggerated the two incidents that we were shown in the big blow up episode.

Chieko

11-20-2003

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Karuuna. Yes, the two woman, but I was confused about that. I didn't know if I had missed something else.

Do you not believe them?

Obviously, they told two different stories and I wasn't sure which to believe. I guess I didn't want to believe someone would lie about sexual inappropriateness for a game advantage, but Dan seemed to make others uncomfortable and now he has been ejected so I don't know what I believe.

Mimi

04-30-2009

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 11:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mimi a private message Print Post    
Cass to answer your question if this is the worst season, I would say that is not, but it is not my fav. That said, I really do not care who wins.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Obviously, they told two different stories and I wasn't sure which to believe.

In this situation, when they told two different stories, they were either lying or confused. I don’t believe they were confused.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Of course, none of this exonerates Dan and at this point I don’t think anything can exonerate him. Deservedly or undeservedly, his reputation will be forever damaged.

At this point, especially after that final incident, I’m thinking deservedly.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm still not sure about that final incident. It was in front of all the other contestants and he was getting into a rocky boat. His explanation seems entirely plausible.

That said, because he doesn't have good personal boundaries, where someone else might have hesitated to use another person's leg for balancing, he doesn't.

It's quite possible at that point that the producers were questioning whether they had done the right thing, so when they had an opening to make a different decision, they did.

These situations teach us that this issue often has nuances. It's not always black and white.

Again, that said, I am not excusing Dan. I'm just saying the "facts" are grey, and not all clearly known.

Cpmfinster

08-15-2005

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cpmfinster a private message Print Post    
Coming out of lurkdom to say...

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the Survivor producers may have been looking for a reason to kick him off the show.

Could you imagine the fall out if Dan went on to win the game and be sole survivor...?

Vsmart

02-09-2003

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Remember that we only see a few hours of the actual time on the island. There may have been a lot more incidents.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I think TPTB wanted Dan no where near the Finale... so they probably were looking for any thing to get rid of him...

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
TPTB are trying very hard not to get their behinds sued.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That's the problem, isn't it? We only see what they choose to show us.

What they have done is show us (recently) two incidents where he touched Kellee, she was very uncomfortable, but in relating the incidents her story didn't match up well to what happened.

They also showed us Kellee's confessional where she cried but asked them not to intervene.

And they also showed us two women who told one story to others about how uncomfortable they were, but then recanted and later apologized for exaggerating that story line for game play.

They also made us believe that when they spoke to contestants, that they were more clear about what the problem was. We later learn from the contestants that the "talks" were pretty laid back, and the contestants didn't think anything of them.

Now we have only a screen that says there was another "incident" that was off camera and didn't involve a contestant, and that they removed him.

But the incident then reported doesn't seem all that obnoxious.

They are handling this very poorly. And this is a serious matter that deserves to be handled more professionally!

Kearie

07-21-2005

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kearie a private message Print Post    
What I learned... for every woman who complains about inappropriate touching and is honest about it, there are a couple other women willing to lie about it for financial gain.

Seriously, I think Missy and Elizabeth did more damage to the #metoo movement than anything else on TV.

I think Survivor screwed the pooch on this one.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
This won't be cleared up anytime soon.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think that’s a solid summary and analysis, Kar. It was not handled in a deft manner, it’s a mess and everyone involved is suffering even more as a result and apparently can’t talk about it.