TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 09, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The Cheap Seats: Sports: 2018 Winter Olympics: Archive through February 09, 2018 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I always look forward to the Olympics. I thought we should have a thread since the opening ceremonies are this Friday, February 9th!

However, I think that NBC is starting their broadcast of events on Thursday.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Me too!!! Can't wait

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
All of my shows are gone until March....for this reason I'm not that big of a fan.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Interesting, I have stuff tomorrow.

On NBCSC (NBC Sports Channel),all times Pacific
2:30pm Speedskating Trials
8pm Skiing, Curling (mixed doubles): US vs Russia
11pm Curling (mixed doubles); Canada-Norway; China-Switzerland
3am Curling (mixed doubles); US-Canada; China-S, Korea

Excellent for some reason I like watching curling, LOL.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Curling is an interesting game involving lots of skill and strategy.

In past Olympic games, I don’t recall them showing so many events before the opening ceremonies.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I think it's great to show this stuff, I especially like that they are showing the speedskating trials because then we get to see some of the other countries that are not strong enough to qualify for the final stuff.

And I don't think I ever even saw mixed doubles curling.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
AND I just got an email that says on 2/8
NBC Primetime

Figure Skating and Freestyle Skiing

Then on 2/9 Opening Ceremonies

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I like the skiing events. I used to ski, but not anymore. The speed of the downhill is just amazing to me. How do they have that much control at those speeds?

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I’m pretty easily entertain nowadays since I semi-retired and have more free time during the day. I pretty much leave the TV on all day while my wife is at work and either read or surf the Internet. The cats and I like the “noise”. Will probably put the TV on the Olympics channel and let stay there. This is the first Olympics since I semi-retired so that probably means I might catch some winter sports I’d typically not watch. Three hours of cross country skiing is normally not something that gets my interest.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Mack, I am "retired" as well and always have the TV on even if I am not paying attention. And when I leave I always leave it on for the kitties.

That is actually how I first saw curling and I was surprised how much I enjoyed watching the cross country skiing, they go faster than you think.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree it’s wonderful to see some of the athletes who aren’t totally expert in their event. They try hard and it’s a great experience for them to be there. Plus it helps me better appreciate just how hard these sports can be.

I also enjoy seeing some of the longer events. Makes me appreciate the endurance needed to compete.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Did you see the article about Adam Rippon, who is openly gay, and made some comment about Pence's view on the subject. Pence wanted to meet with him before the games, but he politely refused until after his events were over.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/
brennan/2018/02/07/2018-winter-olympics-vice-president-mike-pence-adam-rippon-south-korea-gay-rights/314167002/

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I didn't see that Kookliebird but I saw him on Ellen and he was talking about how awful a representative Pence is because of the harm he has or is trying to do to the LGBT community. He was very articulate and made extremely good points about it.

Also this is the first time he has competed as an openly gay athlete.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Looks like these speedskating trials are to determine which USA athletes will compete! At least that is what they are showing so far.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm trying to watch the mixed doubles of curling. I really enjoy curling, but I can't get into the mixed doubles. I like watching team's so much better.

Also, I know Russia is banned from these Olympics, but some are still allowed to play. What is the rule that some are allowed to participate?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think the ruling was that if the individual athlete was drug free, then he or she could compete individually but Russia would not have a team. I'm not sure what happens with respect to the national anthem and the flag if a Russian athlete is on the podium.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
In the past, they played the Olympic anthem and raise the Olympic flag.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I watched the curling...loved the Canadian Uniform, the shirts were really cool.

I read about the Russian athletes and they are appearing under the designation Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oooooo!!! Figure skating starts tonight!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Johnnie and Tara have great outfits tonight.

Team Skate, so lovely.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, February 09, 2018 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I watched a little of the opening ceremonies this morning. What I saw looked beautiful.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, February 09, 2018 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
To my fellow Canadians does anyone know what time the CBC will be running the entire opening ceremonies for the Olympics? Sick in bed and did not realize it was beginning so early. I'm guessing it'll be after supper time but I just don't know when.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Hope you feel better soon, Mame!

The CBC already showed it live this morning (at 6:00 AM our time - ouch!).

According to the TV listings, they aren't repeating it tonight (which I find surprising so maybe the listings are wrong), but NBC is showing it tonight starting at 8:00 PM.

Oh and I think Sportsnet is showing an encore of the opening tonight at 8:00

Starting to tonight, CBC seems to have almost 24 hour coverage.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, February 09, 2018 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I am really hoping we get to see some of the events as they are happening, I have read that NBC does plan to do more of that. Plus I took a survey they sent me and they did ask if you want real time events or hold for prime time, I picked real time events.

Hahahahaha, cracking up at the Tongan Flag Bearer, shirtless and oiled (as they just said on the news) despite the 20 degree weather, LOL.

He did look good, I might add.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, February 09, 2018 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
He was fun. The Canadian announcers were in awe or speechless.