TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 26, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Android Apps/Devices: Archive through November 26, 2015 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 26, 2013 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Looks good!

Nickovtyme

07-28-2004

Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 3:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nickovtyme a private message Print Post    
Heh....I'm such a geek with this. I actually turned my PC into a dual boot machine...so I can run Linux when I want to hack around and windows otherwise. I'm trying to convince my wife its time to upgrade from Vista to Windows 8...skipped 7 completely...well except for the laptop.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's all good fun!

It seems a lot of people are resisting Windows 8.

Nickovtyme

07-28-2004

Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nickovtyme a private message Print Post    
Ive not messed with it much. Vista on the desktop and 7 on the lap. Really haven't had a reason to upgrade and prolly wait till I buy a pc with it pre-loaded.

There's an Android Emulator you can load and run on pc's but havent had time to try it out. I think its called BlueStacks

Nickovtyme

07-28-2004

Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nickovtyme a private message Print Post    
http://www.bluestacks.com/

Lawrie

08-03-2002

Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lawrie a private message Print Post    
I don't understand the resistance to 8. 7 was an adjustment but after adjusting to 7, 8 was a breeze. It sorts out some of the problems with 7. I have found better navigation, increased speed, better integration with my server, better handling of dual monitors, etc. Maybe I'm missing something that real techs are having problems with.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Lawrie, I am with you! It took about 3 days before the windows 8 "plot" hit me. And then I realized how cool it was.

Maybe we need a windows 8 thread so people who log on the first time to windows 8 computers don't freak out anymore.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
There must be more than a few who don't appreciate 8.. otherwise Microsoft wouldn't be creating a big fix and talking about releasing it for free to 8 users.

I'm on 7, but a friend got a new laptop with 8 and I honestly haven't tried to use it much and my problem has more to do with the track pad, which really sucks on that device. I went with her to her not very complete instruction in 8.. mostly because the guy just rattled on too quickly for her. I imagine at some point I'll replace the desktop and end up with 8 or something else.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The big problem with windows 8 is they left out the "start" button for easy getting around. But there is an easy fix for that called classic shell.

Once the start button is back, all the new windows 8 stuff is fun and a cool adventure.

www.classicshell.net

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 10:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Really, with classic shell installed, it's like have 2 cool worlds on your computer. One like a tablet with lots of cool apps from the windows app store.

And the other world just your traditional laptop/desktop experience.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
btw, even before you install classic shell, you still have the old desktop view along with the metro big squares app view, it's just a little more confusing to get around.

In other words, everything the classic shell start menu has is already there, but in a different way. Classic shell just gives you back the familiar way of getting around.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 09, 2013 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was just reading this article that makes me feel good about going the android route rather than the apple route.

"Android approaches 80% smartphone share as Apple's iPhone grows old

Apple's lack of revisions to its iPhone product line has cost it market share and Android now has 79.3 per cent of the worldwide market, according to the latest shipment data from IDC, with over 187 million Android handsets shipped in the second quarter of 2013.
"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/08/
android_approaches_80_smartphone_share_as_
apples_iphone_gets_old/

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, August 09, 2013 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I have an iPhone and a bunch of other Apple devices. I do like the way that Apple has continued to support some of their older devices (for example, the 3gs iPhone has the most recent OS and it still works well which is pretty amazing for as old a phone as that).

However, I think that the iPhone 5 was a big disappointment in terms of growth and features. I have a 4s and I was fully planning to upgrade to the 5 and give the 4s to my DD but I just didn't think it was a big enough upgrade to make it worth it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 09, 2013 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh, no doubt iphones are great, Jimmer. I just think when 2 things are great, they will start to even out eventually. I think Android is starting on its way to evening out with Apple.

Nickovtyme

07-28-2004

Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nickovtyme a private message Print Post    
And don't forget that Mozilla and other Linux based platforms like Ubuntu, are trying to capitalize on Androids/Google Chrome's success. There's already talk of them releasing their own phone and PC OS ....with their own magic tricks and abilities to customize to you users tastes.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I love competition!

I wish the iPhones were more customizable. Another thing that bothers me is I think they could do more with the camera and image management especially since graphics is one of Apple's strengths.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Well, to quote my brother from one of our texts:

"IOS is what made Android great".

He was talking about the competition forcing others to step it up.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well I hope Android in turn forces Apple to step it up because Apple has been coasting for a couple of years now.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I love this app. It's for broadcasting what's showing on your android device's cam to just the other devices on your home network, without using the internet. (I love when things work on the first try without having to fiddle with them.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I just bought the LG G2. I was almost deadset on the Galaxy S4 or maybe the Moto X, but once I got to the store and saw this "new" device, I couldn't take my eyes off of it. LG hasn't been the most prominent name in smartphones, but this one, to me, is fantastic. Fast processor, big screen...never had a phone look nearly as good as this. Some might call it a "phablet", but it's not. It's lightweight, and allows me to multi-task in a huge way. Not gonna do a full review, but I like it. I use my phone a lot in my work, and this will make it much easier and more pleasant.

Just my thoughts on a new phone...there are more in-depth reviews everywhere if you want to read them.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
OK, at the risk of looking like I'm trying to spam the board, I'll post this here too. I originally posted/buried this in the Good Wife thread, and then someone came back looking for it and couldn't remember where they'd seen it. So I am reposting in a couple of places where folks can find it better....

My niece turned me on to a nifty new android app called "TV Show Favs." It’s also available on Kindle. It's also a free app. After you sign up for an account, you plug in your favorite shows, and it will tell you when upcoming episodes are, and what episodes have already aired (and when). It also gives you season/episode numbers as well. If you keep up with it, it will also tell you which episodes you’ve watched, and what the next episode up is for you to watch. Whenever my niece comes over, she and sis kinda take over the TV, so I try to bump my shows upstairs to the DVR in my room. Unfortunately they don’t all take due to conflicts, and I was starting to try to write down lists on what shows I might be missing and need to catch on On Demand. I’ve only been playing with this app for about a week, and caught a few shows I would have been missing had I not kept the app updated.

It took a while to set it up, since I plugged in all my summer/spring/possible hiatus, etc shows into it. It was a bit tedious at first, cause I had to manually go in and mark each prior season as “watched.” Otherwise it will tell you your next unwatched episode is Season 1 Episode 1, LOL. That was especially tedious in long running shows, like Law & Order SVU, which is currently in its 15th season (and TAR and Survivor have a lot of seasons too). I think the first couple of shows I plugged in, I was going by each season and marking each individual episode as “watched.” Then I found where I could have it display each season, click a drop down menu, and click on “mark season as watched.”

As I set it up, I was able to clean up my DVR a bit, since the app also shows the status of the show, and I was able to erase a few cancelled shows from my DVR’s Favorites list. I’ve been able to figure out how to sync the info from one Kindle to the other (I inherited Mom’s Kindle, and keep it upstairs now for bedside stuff), by clicking on a feature that says, “refresh shows.” But I haven’t figured out how to have the same data I plugged into the Kindle to update on my phone (can’t find the “refresh shows" feature on it).

Anyway, I thought I’d clue you in on the app, since it is a handy little tool. If you go looking for it in your App store, the icon is a blue (or maybe teal) TV shape, with the letters TV on the tv screen.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, July 06, 2015 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have a question about my android phone. I have ignored the problem for months but now I have decided to give in and ask.

On my weather.com app, of course I have the save location as my home. But a few times a week, the app keeps asking my location for radar, even though I can see it's right there listed. It's getting tedious.

How can I make it stop asking?

Mungus

02-16-2012

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mungus a private message Print Post    
Naja did you ever figure out a way to make your weather.com stop asking for your radar location? If not, there are some pretty good tips available at http://feedback.weather.com/ hopefully one of them is how to make that stop!

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mungus. I would say about 3 or 4 app updates after I posted, it was fixed. So I just waited it out thinking others were complaining, and they must have been :-)

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i got a message from Wells Fargo that they are upgrading their mobile banking app and i need to

What you can do
We strongly recommend that you upgrade your OS now to the new minimums listed below.

Android 4.4
iOS 7.0

i have a Samsung 4. i have looked at settings and on t-mobile's site but can figure out how to upgrade without buying a new phone.
what do i need to do?