TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 10, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: TV and DVD Questions: Archive through January 10, 2014 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm seriously thinking of getting a Roku. (Just had my AT&T DSL internet connection speed upped.) All I have is digital TV, DVD player, and TiVo HD, no cable or satellite. Have wireless network for computer. So all there is to Roku is HDMI cable between it and TV and plug Roku into electric? Then do simple set-up? Anything I'm missing?

Whoami

08-02-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Comcast users. Is anyone else's menu guide gone wonky and started listing every single episode of your series recordings as a scheduled recording for the day, repeat or not? Every episode is showing up with a crossed out circle. At least it's not really gonna record, but filtering through the 30 or so crossed out circles to find a real scheduling clash is real tedious now.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, mine is doing the same thing. Very annoying.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, here is the Xfinity discussion board and apparently it is an issue all over the country:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Scheduled-recordings-showing-ALL-series-repeats-that-AREN-T/td-p/1790314

A note from "Comcast Vic" says it's resolved, so try restarting your box to see if it clears.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Mine, too. It's like a jumbled mess looking at what you have scheduled. It has happened before and it eventually gets straightened out.

One of the things that doesn't seem to be getting straightened out is when you look for all showings of a certain single show. You go back to the beginning of the list after you have clicked on one to see the synopsis. So you have to scroll all the way down again and try to find where you left off.

Last time this happened it only lasted for a few days, but now it's been a couple weeks. What a pain.

The biggest pain in the ass is when they fiddle with the FF and rewind. You get used to how it works, and then they change it. Heck, for awhile there after one of their changes, if you tried to FF just a few seconds, you actually ended up going backward!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The problem seems to be that the "new" and "repeat" designations have been removed. This only started for me yesterday or maybe Friday?

PS: Restarting didn't help.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Like I said, this happened before. It gets straightened out eventually.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
New Question: are there any DVR's that don't require a monthly subscription?

My DS would like one at his college apartment, but Tivo is $15/month, after you buy the unit.

Are there other options?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
You can just buy a dvr and use that. You have to set up your recordings yourself and it may not be able to change the channel for you (you may have to leave it on that channel and only record that one). Does he have cable? OR is just wanting to record network TV? The old DVR's and VCR's could sometimes change the channel for you. Not sure if the newer ones do because that's a shrinking market.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
He will have cable (it's included) at his apartment, but they won't pay for any extra services.

Can you just buy any DVR brand?

Whoami

08-02-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Well, not that I wish the nuisance on others, but I am glad to see I'm not the only one. I hope they get it fixed soon!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, I unplugged my DVR and now it's relisting the guide. We'll see what happens. (That's what was recommended).

I'm happy to be the guinea pig, since I"m going out for a bit. Will check in when I get back!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I did the same thing this morning. Am at hospital now with Mom. More on that later when I can type with all my fingers (on Kindle now). Will see how the guide reloads when I get home.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, I don't think they had it fixed this morning. However, the good news is that mine is reloading correcting now. Sunday is all good. Monday is all "to be announced" still. :-)

Whoami

08-02-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Hmmmmm. I did my reboot at about 10:30 or 11.

I have a ton of "to be announced" for Monday, and most of them say, "repeat" but no program description. So that doesn't make me feel great.

I guess I'll go reboot the other DVR too, and see what it does.

Oh, and Mom is ok. She came out to the chair (for a change) yesterday for a family get together. In the process of us doing a stand and pivot transfer to the chair, she felt like something went wrong in her feet. Her bad foot (and leg) went into severe cramps and hasn't really backed off much (just occasional sudden grabbing cramps). Her good foot, she felt like her Achille's tendon pulled real bad.

She said it hurt too much to put weight on it to get back to her bed, so we called the paramedics to either just help us, or take her in. Of course they felt we should take her in, and she actually agreed. In the ER they took a sample and came back with a UTI. So now she's being held and given antibiotics to treat that. She should see some PT tomorrow to address the pain in her feet.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, it was after 1 pm (almost 2) that they posted that they fixed and and to reboot.

Glad Whomum is okay!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Ok. Thanks. I guess I'll reboot it again after tonight's recordings are done.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I was going to say reboot it when you go to bed, but I know you keep odd hours sometimes!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, you can buy any brand of DVR -- there aren't that many even being made, it just works like the old VCR. It has no brain about the schedule and you can't set it to record "Big Brother". You set it to record for an hour at 8pm on Thursday. So, it's pretty old school. Has he contacted comcast to ask if they offer anything and what the cost is?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They don't have Comcast at their apartment. It's a college apartment complex and they provide cable and internet to every room, it's included.

I asked who their provider was, and they didn't know, but it wasn't Comcast, or Direct or any of the major known providers. I'll keep trying. :-)

If you get a Tivo, I know you can use the automatic programming like our Comcast DVR's but it is a $15/month subscription service. The upside of that is that he would also be able to watch Netflix and Amazon video thru the Tivo (with the subscription).

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Last night at about 9:30 central, all of our comcast boxes shut down and reset at the same time, and when the listings started loading back up, they were back to normal.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
About two and a half weeks ago, I started having a problem with my dvr/cable not working right. The picture would start pixilating/tiling until it looked like an abstract painting. Was impossible to watch or hear a show. Did this while just watching, recording, or playing back. I went and got a new box, same thing happened, got another one, same thing. Then they gave me a Motorola. I also went to Best Buy and bought a better splitter. It still did the same thing. I had to keep unplugging it and plugging back up to reset it. Last night, the box died completely and would not come back on, so went to get another one. Of course, it's alright now, but I'm sure it will mess up again either tonight or tomorrow.

I have an appointment for the cable tech to come out and check everything next Thursday. I have to work that day and afraid I will miss him. Anyways, all my other tv's that are hooked directly to the cable are fine. So it can't be the cable itself.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I googled it and it seems to be pretty common, but never did really see a solution for it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The signal that is reaching your box is probably weak. So they have to either increase the signal strength, fix damaged cable or put in splitters that don't degrade the signal as much.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Splitters go bad, cabling goes bad. Best to get them out to fix it. We pay enough each month for service that we need it working!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I just bought a Samsung Air Track sound bar. I have a 55' LG hd tv.

I cannot tell where to connect the aux cable to the tv. The cable tip does not fit into the 'optical digital audio' space of the tv.

All I get is a buzzing sound if I put it into the 'audio out' left or right hole.

Thanks in advance.