TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
TVCH OVER '60ish" Thread

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: TVCH OVER '60ish" Thread users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 23, 2016Ophiliasgrandma25 05-23-16  9:19 am
Archive through April 06, 2017Dogdoc25 04-06-17  6:09 pm
Archive through April 11, 2017Abby725 04-11-17  9:24 pm
Archive through April 26, 2017Dogdoc25 04-26-17  12:30 pm
Archive through July 05, 2018Dogdoc25 07-05-18  9:52 am
Archive through April 06, 2019Mameblanche25 04-06-19  7:56 pm
Archive through June 19, 2020Mak125 06-19-20  7:16 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, June 19, 2020 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Maybe they just forgot that they had already bought some?

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, July 05, 2021 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Hello Over 60ish TVCHers!!

Do any of you take either a prescribed or over-the-counter treatment for minor memory loss? I'm beginning to think I need something to help my brain cells keep their sharpness with the memory process.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, July 05, 2021 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I forget.

Seriously, me too.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Monday, July 05, 2021 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
I do not. I do puzzles though and they are supposed to help keep the brain sharp. I'll have to think about some kind of supplement soon though. I am sure memory or brain cells will need help, especially if and when I retire.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, July 05, 2021 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I play several online games of Scrabble and Words With Friends daily to keep my brain well oiled. Lately it feels like a losing battle. :-( The other day for the life of me, it took several minutes (of panicking) because I couldn't remember that 'Vowels' are the opposite of Consonants. Forgetfulness and losing words is terrifying for me, especially as a writer.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 05, 2021 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Um, big topic with me.

I have not tried any specific supplement, though I guess that is why I take turmeric/curcumin and I'm on a statin, which ends up being a good thing, but not sure I'd take it just for that, but I had high cholesterol

Challenging your brain by learning new things.. so if you do the NY Times crossword puzzle in ink, great, but that isn't something new.. So, challenges.

Diet (MIND diet is best)

Avoid inflammation

Cardio exercise and any exercise helps

Sleep is important as during a certain cycle, plaques are cleaned out of your brain

Community, interaction with friends and family

I am reading the book A Tattoo on My Brain by Daniel Gibbs.

He is a neurologist who started losing his sense of smell, but shrugged it off, then later began to suspect he had very early Alzheimer's.. ironic since that was part of his career. He did the 23 and Md DNA test and was shocked to find out he has two copies of APOE4 gene. His parents died early enough that it couldn't be known if they would have developed Alzheimer's but other relatives, it seems, had.

He opines that all too often people in clinical trials are farther along and perhaps too far along to be helped by the drugs that are tested. he's been in 5 clinical trials and has had PET scans for Beta Amyloid plaques and TAU tangles and yes he has them.

So he is doing everything possible to push off what is coming and at the same time, be in trials because he hopes his children and grandchildren will have treatments available.

He also did a very interesting interview with Being Patient (www.beingpatient.com)

https://www.beingpatient.com/early-alzheimers-daniel-gibbs/

He is very interesting and he is not the only expert talking about how important it is to be proactive and push off the start of cognitive loss so long that something else gets you first.

A lecturer I heard a few years ago spoke of lifestyle things and said what he was doing was learning a new language and learning to play tennis

Music is important and singing uses one side of the brain, playing an instrument, the other. But also the memory of music seems to be the last to go.

ANd.. sorry for crashing the thread.. I am well beyond 60 and any ish..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 06, 2021 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I meant to say MIND diet

Mediterranean is good, DASH is good but MIND is thought to be best to hold off on symptoms of Alzheimer's.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 06, 2021 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Intermittent fasting gives the body time to clean up damaged cells throughout the body. (Autophagy) including the brain.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, June 02, 2022 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
This could be the thread for . . . .

I recently watched 1991 movie Fried Green Tomatoes. Quote from character Evelyn Couch (Kathy Bates) fits me to a T --
"I'm too young to be old and too old to be young."

That is me.

Deanofwords

09-13-2005

Sunday, August 28, 2022 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deanofwords a private message Print Post    
good quote

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: