TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 18, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: What I had for supper.........: Archive through February 18, 2013 users admin

Serate

08-21-2001

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Steamburgers, boiled new potatoes, corn on the cob, tomatoes and onions from the garden, no sugar added apple cobbler made with apples I picked this weekend.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
What are steamburgers?

Serate

08-21-2001

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
You know how you cook the ground beef aka hamburger to make tacos or sloppy joes, just kinda steam it on low and make it all small and crumbly? That's a steamburger. Then you put on it what you want. I cooked ours with some onion, than had ketchup, mustard, and dill pickle relish on mine.

Some people call them Maid-Rites but I'm a Maid-Rite snob and if it isn't from a Maid-Rite store, it ain't a Maid-Rite.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
sort of like a sloppy joe? but without the sloppy?

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We call that "loose meat". We have it a few times a year. I mix in grilled onions. That's what they sold in Rosanne's TV restaurant.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Live and learn! That is why I love TYCH! I have never heard of steamburgers, Maid-Rites, or loose meat. Around here browning hamburger w or w/o onions is just a step on the way to chili or sloppy Joes or spaghetti sauce or tacos or any one of innumerable casseroles - thank you for furthering my kitchen education!

Serate

08-21-2001

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Yes Jackie drove through Iowa and that's where they got the idea. How it really happened us when Roseanne was married. To Tom Arnold they filmed alot of the movie "The Woman Who Loved Elvis " in Ottumwa Iowa where Tom was from. They saw a long line at lunch time out the door if a place called "The Canteen" each and every day & Tom told them about Maid-Rites. And an idea for the show was born.

I grew up about 15 min from Ottumwa. It was the big city I was afraid to drive in. Pop 18,000. Lol

Radar OReilly from MASH was "from" Ottumwa.

I was eating steamburgers and Maid-Rites long before Roseanne. I DON'T eat loose meat sandwiches. The name gives me the creeps.

Serate

08-21-2001

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey has ties to the original Maid-Rite restaurant if I remember correctly.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
King salmon caught last night in Lake Michigan, topped with a tomatillo/salsa verde; zucchinis sauteed with white salad turnips and black garlic.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Whoa. I didn't mean to be offensive mentioning how that's what they called it on Rosanne TV show. I just thought it was a fun fact.

Serate

08-21-2001

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
No Naja you didn't offend me!!!!!! Just letting you know more about how Rosanne came up with the Loose Meat Sandwich for her show!

And the fact that the name loose meat - even tho it is what I eat - gives me the creeps. lol

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ok, I see....LOL!

Jewels

09-22-2000

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
Is that what we just call 'browned ground beef'? We don't have a cool name for it... :-(

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 5:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Yes Jewels. Where I come from it's called Mince!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 6:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
More learning! I have only ever heard the noun "mince" as the British term for hamburger!

Serate

08-21-2001

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
I knew mince from my friend from Australia. She sent me her mom's lasagna recipe and I had to ask her what mince was. [I really need to find that recipe. It was made with a bechamel sauce not red and was YUMMY!]

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Supper tonight was raviolis in browned butter sauce and a garden salad. I cannot wait for soup weather!

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
What is browned butter sauce?

Alwayzmovin

11-06-2003

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alwayzmovin a private message Print Post    
Scalloped cabbage and sliced tomatoes

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese. Hubby only likes meat and potatoes, pretty much.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 5:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Browned butter sauce is made by allowing the milk solids in your butter to caramelize for a rich, toasty flavor.

Serate

08-21-2001

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Hubby only likes meat and potatoes, pretty much.

Mine too. And french fries are their own vegetable separate from potatoes.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Meatballs in mushroom gravy, rice and zucchini

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
What TNT said, then add sage and a bit of cream (or in our case - Greek yogurt since I was out of cream).

Tonight was a roasted chicken and a pasta salad with loads of veggies.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I am making sausage soup for this cool, wintry day.