TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 13, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Android Apps/Devices: Archive through June 13, 2012 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, June 01, 2012 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ok you guys, I hit send on my order. I ended up changing my mind and ordered an Asus Transformer

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core Processor
10.1-inch LED screen
32GB SSD, 1 GB DDR3

Yes, on sale.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, June 01, 2012 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I would LOVE to know how the GPS works on it. I hope someone knows. It lists GPS on the features. I guess we'll get to that when it arrives :-) So stand by for questions you guys. I think it will be about 5 days until it gets here.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Depends on your carrier, but I have three different GPS options. So do you want to know how it works (as in how does GPS in general work?) or how WELL does the GPS work?

Nickovtyme

07-28-2004

Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nickovtyme a private message Print Post    
Naja....my wife has an Asus Transformer (TF101). Hers is a first generation. The GPS works really well on it.

Yours will prolly be even better since its the latest model TF301.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Costa, I meant how "well" it works, but really I guess everything anybody tells me won't mean a thing until I have it my hands :-)

Thanks Nick. I am looking forward to learning all about it.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It really depends on how well it accesses the GPS satellites. If you're somewhere in the mountains or buried in the bowels of a cement building, it won't work as well. I have 3 different GPS options on my phone and tablet, and all three of them work great. Some work better than others at different times. I don't have a Garmin system or other external nav system, I use my phone or table, even when traveling, and I've yet to get lost. So I'd say they work great.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Ok, I've only had it about 6 hours and I am already stuck.

With Comcast/xfinity, we get to send 250 text messages per day at no charge, and this is the app we are supposed to use with Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.comcast.ottclient&feature=search_result

But I only get the message that it's incompatible with my android device and I can't download it. I am updated to latest 4.something

How can I use my comcast free texting on my new pad?

on the side the info for the app says:

Updated:
June 6, 2012
Current Version:
Requires Android:
2.2 and up
Category:
Communication

I'll be back in the morning.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
btw, my comcast tv app installed just fine. The one for viewing movies and tv episodes. So I don't get what's going on here.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 5:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Not all apps work on all devices. For example, I have a Galaxy Tab that is still running an older version of the Android OS. Next Issue, which is what I was using to get my People magazine delivered to my tablet, recently updated their app, and it no longer runs on my device. So I can no longer read my People on my tablet.

Your tablet is not a phone. It's possible that's why there is an incompatibility. I have no clue because I don't have Comcast.

Google Play knows my devices, when I launched Google Play (I clicked your link), that app is compatible with all of MY devices. So that's your problem. It's just plain not compatible with your tablet. At this point there is nothing you can do except talk to Comcast or your tablet manufacturer.

FWIW, I never use my tablet for things that I use my phone for. Just sayin'. I use my phone for texting, phone calls, instant messaging, and the like. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
One of the nice things about having multiple devices though is being able to use whichever one you have at hand and are working with at the moment. Of course, it all depends on what works best for you.

I'm always interested in hearing other people's experiences working with these devices. I'm pretty much used to Apple but I keep an open mind and will always switch to whatever product I think will work best for my needs and provide the best value.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Yes but... I find the smaller form factor is more convenient for some things. I mean, out and about during the day, it fits in my purse. So I'm texting, using Evernote, listening to music if working out, yada yada... I'm using my phone. Traveling or knowing that I'm going to be sitting around and waiting a bit... I'm using my tablet for reading, listening to music, whatever. It depends on what I'm doing and where I'm doing it.

Of course, I have an iPad because I have to develop for apps on it. Not because I use it. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If it's not confidential, would you mind telling us which apps you have developed for it? Just a curiosity question.

I agree that you always want to try to use the best tool for the task.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Oh, I "develop for apps on it". I don't actually code the apps themselves. The app up on the App Store is Symantec PGP Viewer. Use it to decrypt any encrypted email that is received on your iOS device(s), such as iPhone, iPad, and so on. The app is used by enterprise organizations because you also need our enterprise software to manage LDAP enrollment and key creation or management.

Did your eyes just roll back in your head? Did you regret asking? :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - No that is cool. Thanks for the details.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 4:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I guess I kinda can't deny being a geek any more, can I? :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Hi Costa, thanks for answering. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't that it's not a phone. The whole big deal about comcast giving us these 250 texts a day was that we could use them on any device through our home comcast connection. They even make an app where you can text from your laptop or desktop with windows. Here's the explanation page.

http://www.comcast.com/textmessaging

I'll give it another try tonight. It was so late when I first tried it, maybe I was doing something wrong. (and yes, I also have comcast telephone service with the triple play plan, which is also required for the free texting)

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I went to try again, and just says my device is incompatible.

Here's the part in the agreement when you enable it where it says what you need.

2. Service Requirements. The Service requires:

(i) one of the following devices: an activated two-way, messaging-capable phone; an Android® tablet; an iPod touch® or an iPad®;

(ii) Xfinity™ Voice Service;

(iii) the Xfinity™ Mobile app; and

(iv) either a WiFi connection with Internet access or a cellular data connection with Internet access. Your wireless service provider's standard data charges and usage caps will apply when the Service is used with a cellular data connection with Internet access. When roaming internationally, your wireless service provider may apply different data charges and usage caps for cellular data connection with Internet access.

====

I definitely have one of every required thing.

Android Tablet
xfinity Voice service
wifi internet connection

The only thing missing is the app that won't install on my android tablet.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Naja, it doesn't matter if your device isn't supported. It doesn't matter if you have an Android tablet... if YOUR Android tablet isn't supported, you can't text. It appears MY tablet IS supported. Seriously, poking around your agreements doesn't do you any good. Where it says your device is incompatible... that's what you need to know. If you signed on with Comcast because you thought you were gonna get free texting? They only gave you half the story. They did not tell you that they are not compatible with every device.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There are so many options with Android and that is a good thing. However it's also one of the problems with Android. So many devices and uneven support.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Costa, I didn't sign up for texting with comcast. Like I said, it comes free with the tv/telephone/internet package I have with them. I've had this package for about 8 years, and this year they added the free texting. What I meant was I signed into my existing account to "enable" the texting. It isn't automatically enabled.

I checked with comcast help forums and apparently they have been promising everyone for the past 3 months to update the "compatible" list for the mobile app, but nothing has happened yet. I think it's odd the app for tv and movies is updated for everyone, but not the app for email and texting.

I tried my texting from my windows laptop for the hell of it, and it works, which seems so silly to me...LOL I guess I'll just keep checking every week to see if the mobile app is updated.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 5:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It's not that easy to update an app. It's not just updating a list. You have to actually update the code, and then test and verify it works with all the devices you say it works with. That may be why they haven't done it yet.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Costa, I realize that. I really wish you could talk to me like I am a grown adult that is actually quite a bit technically inclined.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
BTW, now I understand why people love their Kindles so much! I downloaded a couple free e-books to my Android tablet and it's almost fun to read them doing that little swipe to turn the page. (I've been more of an audio-book person these days)

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 5:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Naja, read back your posts. It sounds like you had no idea what you were talking about. I didn't mean to offend you but it really sounds like you were saying you couldn't understand why they could do one thing but not the other. The two aren't even remotely the same. You kept asking why texting wasn't working, but you kept saying your service agreement said it should but then you said your device was incompatible. That surely doesn't sound like you knew what you were doing, does it? Please read back thru your posts and you'll see. :-)

I'm sorry. I won't bother you any more.

Nickovtyme

07-28-2004

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nickovtyme a private message Print Post    
Naja...for what it might be worth there are other apps in the market that will allow texting over wifi.

Though most of them require the person you're texting have the the same app installed.