TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 06, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Please Help with Recommendations: Archive through July 06, 2011 users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Wondering if this thread will be useful. Plenty of times I like an author or series and would love to read similar stuff.

My aunt bought her kindle a few months ago, totally loves it and she's reading all the time. I'm having trouble keeping up with her demands (meant lovingly.) She gives me a lsit of books and authors, but she wants the free books and I've pretty much exhausted the free books for the authors she enjoys.

1. She likes the older mystery stuff...authors like Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Mary Roberts Rinehold (those three I have every free book offered, I think.) Series like Sherlock Holmes, Perry Mason, or Nero Wolfe (is that a series, I keep seeing the name with Rex Stout's.) And she likes the ones that are series, though she'll read stand alone novels, she really likes the series.

What I need is suggestions on similar mystery authors and series. Nothing bloody or that falls into horror category, dipping into romance would be ok but not if it overshadows the mystery aspect, and minimal sexual stuff. Older or newer authors (I've gotten a little leery buying the newer free books on amazon since a lot of those are closer to erotica than anything else and sometimes the description doesn't make that real clear, imagine how many shades of red I turned when she mentioned one of the books I got her was 75% very explicit sex involving 3 and 4 people, lol!) I am already thinking Sue Grafton, I've read through M and that's a series I could share with her, although I'm gonna have to pay for them so that'll be slow going, lol.

2. Paranormal stuff. ESP, ghosts, reincarnation. She likes the stuff that explores the paranormal and examines it, but also the personal stories. But, searching for "ESP," "ghosts," and "reincarnation" alone isn't getting me very far. Any ideas of authors to look for?

3. And the last thing I can think of right now working animals. Search and Rescue dogs, drug dogs, or those animals that work with the disabled. Same problem with the paranormal stuff, I think I'll have more luck with specific authors instead of a rather generic search term, but I don't know any authors.

4. I lied, sorry, one more came to mind, she really enjoys the Woman's Bible and the Women of the Bible (she was really happy with that one.) Is there something like a bible verse or prayer a day book? Or something that breaks down the bible stories without all the verses?

Thanks in advance! The woman is a very serious reader now that she has the kindle and it's so easy to hold and use and I just can't keep up with her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Dean Koontz wrote a book about their golden Trixie who was a retired service dog.. it was a wonderful book.

I got a freebie, hmm but it is now $5.59.. Quiet Reflections of Hope.. it says each volume contains 120 devotions with .. well full color art which clearly isn't going to be full color on a kindle but each devotion includes. a verse of scripture.

Author is Baker Publishing Group and they have other books like Quiet Reflections of Peace. Looks like they have 15 Kindle titles.. you could see if any look like something she'd like.

Josiah Blake Tidwell has some books that seem to study the Bible in various ways.. by periods , by books.. no idea if any good but at least one is free.

But I haven't read a word so cannot say much.. but that book has 5 star reviews.

I know you'll get good advice here from those into the genres you want.

It might be worth posting on kindleboards.. with so many members they know a bunch and there are definitely whole groups reading the types of books she likes.

I just love knowing how much she is obviously loving her kindle and reading on it.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 12:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Heh, Sea, it took her over 6 hours to find out Osama Bin Laden had been killed, she watches so little tv these days, used to the tv went 24/7.

I'm a fast reader and for an average sized book I'm finished in a day or two (that's why I reread everything many times over, I can't afford to support my book habit otherwise, lol.) I read whenever I have several hours, or just a few minutes, and always have something near to hand just in case. I'm pretty sure I get that from my aunt, cuz she's the exact same way.

I've read that Dean Koontz book, I can't remember what it's called though. Ugh, that's gonna drive me batty, I know exactly whats on my book shelf right now and I know Dean Koontz ain't there, means his books are either boxed up in the garage or on my sisters bookshelf so I can't look for it, lol!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 4:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
As far as newer mysteries go I cannot recommend Henning Mankell enough. He has written a series about a cop by the name of Kurt Wallander. Might sound familiar because the books have been turned into made-for-tv movies by and starring Kenneth Branagh (the movies are excellent too btw).

Also she sounds like she would enjoy a few books by Orson Scott Card. He is primarily a scifi writer but he has a series called: The Women of Genesis. First is Sarah, second is Rebekah, third is Rachel and Leah. They are biographical fiction and very interesting whether or not you are religious. Sarah was my favourite but that could be because it was the first one I read. :-)

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I have exactly the right thing! The Masie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. Those books are awesome and very unique. I don't even especially care for the mystery genre, but I love these books a lot. Our local library even had a Masie Dobbs discussion group recently.

They take place in Great Britain, starting just after World War I. I love the intertwining of the history and the mysteries, and Masie's personal journey as well.

I don't know if there are any freebees though, but a engaging read none the less. If she loves Agatha Christie, I'm sure she will love Masie Dobbs.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Has she read the series set in Botswana the #1 Ladies Detective Agency.. I haven't read the books but people seem to love them and I loved the tv series based on the first book..

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Those series of books "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" etc-does it matter if you read them out of sequence? Which one is the first one and which one is the best?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Lake, I haven't started reading them but I would think you need to read in order. I think Dragon Tattoo is first, then, Played with Fire, then Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Here is the late author's page on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_tc_2_0?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3AStieg+Larsson&keywords=Stieg+Larsson&ie=UTF8&qid=1309029665&sr=1-2-ent&field-contributor_id=B001J95ACO

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Lake - YES it matters!!! It's a sequential story, and although there is a slight bit of "catch up" at the beginning of each one, the story picks up where the last one left off w/each one. I accidentally started the third before the second and it was jarring to say the least. I did a bit of checking and found I'd gotten them in the wrong order, so I went back and read the second, then the final one. It's kind of like the Hunger Games in that respect.

The order is: Girl w/the Dragon Tattoo, Girl who Played with Fire, Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Oh Sea ITA!!! #1 Ladies Detective Agency are a wonderful series of books (and tv series).

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Thank you guys! I gave her her kindle back yesterday with 18 new books, that should take her a week or two to go through, lol. I'm keeping a list of your suggestions for the next time.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ditto re: No 1 Ladies Detective Agency. YOU WILL LOVE THAT SERIES! :-)

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, June 27, 2011 - 4:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
War, she sounds like my mother when it comes to mysteries.

What about P.D. James or Dorothy Sayers?

Also, try Donna Leon. She has a series that features an Italian detective. The first book is Death at La Fenice.

There is also an Owen Archer series by Candace Robb that take place in the 1300's.

My mother also enjoys James Wodehouse books. Not really mysteries. He wrote the Jeeves books and are easy reads.

Also, can you download books from your library?

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, June 27, 2011 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Her kindle is tied to my account, but we have really different tastes in books. I'm more Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, I do read the occassional mystery, not enough to have any I've bought from amazon yet though.

Thanks, Grooch, I've added those to my list. Dorothy Sayers sounds familiar so I may have looked at her books for aunt, can't say for sure though.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 27, 2011 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Library lending is coming to Kindle later this year.

War, I saw this free book today that she might like.. not a day at a time deal but she could read one a day, I suppose.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C4PH9W/?tag=kindleboards-20

It was free when I looked. Proverbs.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
My favorite is A is for Alibi series, Sue Grafton - however, the Kindle books are $8 -

The series stars Kinsey Milhone - and she reminds me of a mature Nancy Drew... an independent woman who takes private detective to the best level - no guts, no big sex (I think she has a boyfriend in a couple of books, but nothing raunchy, just a sleep over, barely mentions)

I just saw her newest is V and is $14.99!! Well, these need to be read by library! but keep it in mind!! They are a great read imho

Nora Roberts has a couple of paranormal stuff - but again - so overpriced, and I've found that a few of these are "kindle edition" so not page for page, word for word as the original...

Reader234

08-13-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
There are a couple of Bible books that meet your criteria...

that were free... (can I just say I hate the new "manage your kindle" I cant see which books I sent to my mom, and which are on my kindle only?)

The only one still free is Craving God 21 day devotional but I've not been very good reading that one!

Also a paranormal I finished today - was very short so not sure I'd reccomend it (Liked the story, but not enough details to develop all the characters, and it started in the middle of the story? Maybe I have a bad copy? but no sex in it, just about the main character reading oracles, a murder happens, and she helps solve it - its not deep by any stretch - I got it free its $2.80 now The Importance of Being Emily -
reading the review its the 2nd book, that would explain my confusion!

Reader234

08-13-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
The Bible books I have were With Open Hands and The Gospel of Ruth and Quiet Reflections of peace - but they're not free now..

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Reader, that's one mystery series I have read (up to about M) and I think aunt will like them. I bought A & B, but told her because they cost $8 each, I'll only buy them very occassionally. Since I will read those too, I don't mind paying for them and I figure I can stretch that series out quite a while, lol.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Oh, oops, I was typing while you were posting. I have to check, but I may have grabbed the Gospel of Ruth one a while back, that sounds familiar.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm going to add them to my list.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
War, with the long series, search to see if they have bundles.. sometimes one can get a very good price on a a bundle.. I think way back in Kindle 1 days I got the first three McCaffrey dragon books in one file for a very nice low price.

I can see some Amazon gift cards in your aunt's future.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
War looks like a free one today for your aunt?

Black Silk
Author: Jan Gordon

DESCRIPTION: Vic has two loves in her life, her cat, Mister, and reading books from her bookstore. Her future looked set, until one night when she's saved from probable danger by a mysterious stranger. Cole has moved around a lot during his life, never finding a true home, until he buys an old house, and fate steps in to change his future. A light romance with a paranormal twist.

and

Waiter, There's a Clue In My Soup! Five Mystery Stories
Author: Camille LaGuire
Genre: Light Mysteries

DESCRIPTION: Five previously published and award nominated mystery short stories by novelist Camille LaGuire. In the title story, "Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup!" two police detectives sort out a poisoning case over lunch at the deli, with a little help from a foodie in the corner. (This story was nominated for a Derringer award in 2003.) "The Hoosegow Strangler" was the first story featuring Mick and Casey, a pair of young gunslingers turned detective. In this locked room story, a witness they were guarding is murdered, and they have to solve the crime to preserve their reputation. "Trail of the Lonesome Stickpin" finds Mick drugged by a pair of pretty femmes fatales, and he has to figure out what happened before Casey shoots him. (This story was put forward for an Edgar by its publisher.) In the fourth story, a killer believes that all he needs is a strong "Alibi" to pull off the perfect crime, but he finds that works against him. In the final story, "The Promise," a teenaged girl has to keep her brutal father from turning her brother into a killer. (This story was also nominated for a Derringer in 2007.) The the first three chapters of the first Mick and Casey novel (Have Gun, Will Play) are also included in this collection.

JoAnn Fluke had hers free The Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery - very light read - hers is a series and all of them right now are under $5 And like Sea posted above hers are Bundled!!

I really dont like the way Manage Your Kindle is right now, I cant find stuff!

This one's still free, but I havent read it - There Must Be Murder - Girlebooks ebook Margaret C Sullivan
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TTWI5I/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
oh and I just looked at the link I posted "Customers who liked this also bought..."

and there were more free books that are mystery!

Reader234

08-13-2000

Friday, July 01, 2011 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/ Has listed 802 books FREE today (they have a date when the book is offered free) Hope you can find stuff to read!

Reader234

08-13-2000

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
war - there are a couple of books you might want to check out - one made me think of you:

The Message Solo New Testament
Author: Eugene Peterson
Publisher: NavPress
Genre: Bible Devotional - Religious - Inspirational
Text to Speech and Lending Enabled

DESCRIPTION: This innovative devotional New Testament is designed to change how you interact with God's Word and revolves around lectio divina, or "divine reading," an ancient approach to exploring Scripture udated for today's Bible reader. Includes The Message version, a topical index, and 162 numbered devotions so you can start any day of the year.