TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 30, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: Archive through January 30, 2022 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 29, 2021 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Goodreads ratings are very suspect.

LOL out of morbid curiosity, what was so bad about it?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 29, 2021 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL I checked Goodreads and here are two very different reviews of it. So funny!

Good review:

quote:

By Annet: I just loved this book. Grand story and writing, unique in many ways, a calm but formidable buildup of the story which makes you want to keep going steady but with a building tension thinking all the time... 'what's going on here', great whodunit with unbelievable twists and turns til the last pages, remarkable set of characters, great setting... I just really enjoyed it from start to end.

Bad review:

quote:

By Tommy Wallach: This book is, without a doubt, the worst thing I've read in many years. The fact that it was published at all boggles the mind. Honestly...I want my money back. Christ but it's terrible. Joel Dicker should never publish another novel again. Or write anything. Even a grocery list. Or speak. He should go live in a monastery in the woods and never bother anyone again. Dear lord. Make it stop.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19301797-the-truth-about-the-harry-quebert-affair?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=2WydJJQaf5&rank=2

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, December 29, 2021 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I hear ya' Rick! I'm done with Goodreads at the end of this year. I've just read a horrid book that had a 4.5 rating.🤬 It was written worse than most fanfiction I've read! I've been using StoryGraph alongside Goodreads since mid year, and I really like it. It has all the features of Goodreads and the added bonus that it is a company started by an African American woman and not associated with Amazon.

Oh yes - and the book to NOT read is When You Least Expect It by Haley Cass.

I've finished listening to Written in My Own Heart's Blood and will finish listening to Angels in America today or tomorrow. I've also read Jojo Moyes Still Me and Peter May's Lockdown this last week. Sometime today, I'll finish Sandie Jones' The Guilt Trip and then we'll see what I can squeeze in this weekend before school starts up again.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, December 29, 2021 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
When I used to get books from the library for my mother to read, she had a "list" of things that if a book had, I was not to take it out.

One of the items on her list was anything that was #1 on the NYT best seller list. She said that list was bull shit and those books usually were terrible.

I have to agree with her about the bs part, now, ever since I learned that publishers buy multiple copies of the books to get that book to the top. **cough! cough! Donnie, Jr. cough! cough!**

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, December 29, 2021 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh, Jim, that bad review was extremely kind. It makes zero sense that the book was published at all. What makes less sense — and now that I think about it, I should check into a psychiatric hospital — is that I read all 640 pages (!!!) of that drivel when I should’ve stopped after 64 pages. 🤮

Teach, thanks for the tip about Storygraph — you mentioned it before and I promptly forgot about it. It’ll be my go-to from now on. Down with Goodreads!

Grooch, your mom’s soul was extra-wise. I wish I had a sliver of two of her wisdom myself. I’m appalled that I’ve read so many monstrosities this year. I’m picking up my copy of The Lincoln Highway from the library later today so I should regain my sanity after I finish that one. 😛

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, December 29, 2021 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thank you for the kind words, Ricky. :-)

And reading Lincoln Highway will soothe you. Enjoy!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, December 29, 2021 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I've just started The Lincoln Highway. I am so happy to have another Amor Towles book! I read about 1/4 of it yesterday and am enjoying it.

Ric, your critical reviews are a delight to read!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, December 30, 2021 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
640 pages?! And you kept reading?! I used to make myself complete a book I started even if I hated because I felt the author put themselves into writing it so I should. But why? There are just too many books that I now have no problem just putting it down.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, December 30, 2021 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I know, Mary, I know — disgraceful! I was deeply ashamed to share that detail, but I wanted to underscore the sheer madness of sticking with a book that you know isn’t going to get better no matter how much you wish it would. What made me swallow the whole awful (and wretched) enchilada was that co-worker of mine (I can’t believe she has a law degree!) who recommended the foul thing in the first place. She raved about it and assured me I would “love it” so I held out hope that it would have a spectacular conclusion. The only conclusion is that I must avoid that crackpot co-worker forevermore!

Mak — thank you! You are too kind. 😛

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, January 03, 2022 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
The Lincoln Highway was fast-paced and entertaining. Each chapter is told from the perspective of a different main character. I would get so engrossed in one character's story that it was disappointing to have to leave it for the next chapter. Then that chapter/character would have such an interesting story that I didn't mind at all that I had to wait to finish the prior character's tale. The ending wasn't great but I don't know any other way it could have ended. Amor Towles's writing is superb. Ric, I hope you are, or have, enjoyed this book as well.

When I can't stand to finish a book, I skip to the end and read the last page or two to see if it seems that the book got better. So far, it has never made a difference at all.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, January 05, 2022 - 11:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I’m reading it right now, yes — I’m on page 160 with 400 left to go. Thus far I’m loving it and the characters! 😛

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, January 06, 2022 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
After 3 months, I finally got Beautiful World, Where Are You? back from Overdrive and finished the last 12%!

I'm more than halfway done with listening to Go Tell the Bees that I Am Gone (Gabaldon) and am plugging away at Girl Woman Other on my Kindle. It's not that I don't like it, but it just seems to take me longer to read it. That may be because of unconventional punctuation (commas by no periods!) or just that it's much more about relationships from one person's POV and that POV changes each section.

Next up: Cuffing Season by Monica McCallan -have heard it's a light but fun read.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, January 08, 2022 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
After finally deciding I don't have to read all books in order, I read Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon after it was recommended here. I enjoyed it, especially Ian Murray's part. I just started a stand alone book that does not have anything to do with anything. Lots of good blurbs about it.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, January 16, 2022 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Eyes Wide Open" by Andrew Gross. It was okay. Almost seemed like he based it a little on Charles Manson and his "family". He even called the perpretrators that in the book.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, January 18, 2022 - 11:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finally finished The Lincoln Highway last night and loved it thoroughly, even the ending! The latter was not your run-of-the-mill ending so I appreciated and admired the daring it took for him to try something so unconventional. I read the Time magazine profile that Tres provided the link for and was astounded to learn what he did for a living prior to settling on his writing career. Amazing! I love, love, love his writing.

I forgot to mention that in the past few weeks I also read Brat: An 80s Story by Andrew McCarthy and really enjoyed it. What an interesting life he's led. The amount of lucky breaks he got as a young inexperienced actor is straight out of Ripley's Believe it or Not.

I also read Bravey by Alexi Pappas - this collection of essays was excellent. In addition to being a world-class long-distance runner, she's also an exceptionally candid writer. The section where she describes how she managed to avoid suicide was unlike anything I've ever read before. I hope she continues writing in the future.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, January 23, 2022 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
AUDIO: Finished Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone and listened to Malibu Rising and Me Before You on Overdrive. Now I'm listening to After You. Driving 90 minutes a day every day for 10 days through tech rehearsals and performances meant lots of good listening time!

DEADTREE: Reading 56 Days on a library loan as well as The Next Everest, so I'm glad our musical ended last night! I might have a shot at getting them done by the due date. I skimmed through On Chisel Beach. After the first 2 chapters (very short book), I was not even a little bit interested in either of the main characters. I had hoped it would pick up, but nope. Would not say I "read" it, though.

KINDLE: Finished Back in Your Arms and am now reading The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, January 23, 2022 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm just finishing reading Written in my Own Heart's Blood (about 100 pages left).

I'm curious about what you thought of Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone. As I've mentioned, I've generally enjoyed her more recent books more than the earlier ones, mainly because I like that she expanded her universe of characters and locations. However, I also think I'm in the minority feeling that way.

Anyway, how would you rank the books with respect to how much you liked each one and where would Bees fall in that ranking?

I'm debating whether I should just read it right away after finishing Written ... or if I should take a break and read a few other books inbetween?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am hoping a Linwood Barclay fan might be able to help me. I have read several of his books, sadly out of order and wish I had read them in order. The Promise Falls books are listed as a trilogy but it appears there are several books set in Promise Falls or with characters from Promise Falls. I have yet to read or find a book that I recall focusing on Olivia. Have I missed it? That character is quite important to the Promise Falls mileu yet also seems peripheral when perhaps it should be a bit more front and center.
It is annoying me that I haven't found one that really features her.

Uncle_ricky, was it you who was a Barclay fan?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Definitely an Uncle Ricky question. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 24, 2022 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Jimmer - I would read it immediately as there are over 300 characters in Bees (Lord!). As a reader who loves Jamie and Claire, I was mightily disappointed when chapters 88-106 (over 5 hours of listening time) did not have either one of them in a single chapter. The first half I liked, and while I do enjoy Ian/Rachel story line, there was way too much Brianna/Roger (Roger makes me nuts). YMMV.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the review. It made me LOL though I understand your pain. I enjoy the other characters as well as Jamie and Claire but I understand that they were the ones that got us to this point so I can empathize.

It also kind of demonstrates what happens when an author becomes successful and can ignore/push-back against editing. They do their own thing and she does like to ramble. One of my concerns is at the end of Written, she has so many plots open she could write for the next fifty years without end. But we know she is not going to do that as her output has slowed considerably over the years.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Let's just say there is another "Jemmy in the tunnel" kind of cliffhanger for the newest book. She says the tenth/next book will be the last - hope she doesn't plan a Shakespearean "kill 'em all off" style tragic end! LOL

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sugar! So pleased to see you pursuing Mr. Barclay’s works. I must confess that that trilogy did not capture my enthusiasm as his stand alone books have. The biggest problem (and weakness) was the cast of thousands — there were just too many to follow. I don’t even recall Olivia, so I think you’re right that she’s more peripheral than anything else. I also think knowing the relationship of all the characters to one another is not critical either , since I recall the main attraction of the books was all the nutty killings that were going on all over town and trying to guess who was behind them all. I feel your frustration, though, about reading books out of order. That’s one thing Goodreads is helpful with — they always identify which book is which in a series! I hope this has helped a little. Remember: Barclay’s stand alones are much, much better, though the first 3 books of his career (the Zack Walker series) were delightfully funny — he was going for the humor crowd and then switched to the thriller genre with his 4th book.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 29, 2022 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thank you Uncle_ricky! I was beginning to fear that I was not as sharp as I used to be and your mentioning the unnecessary cast of thousands was a balm to my reading loving self. I had told my husband I was a bit worried that I would forget or confuse a character which is not like me so you saying that there were just too many to follow helped my sanity.

I don't think I have ready any of the Zack Walker books so will look for those. I have enjoyed some of Mr. Barclay's stand alone books. Perhaps he uses Promise Falls like Stephen King uses Castle Rock. I can say that if I were traveling in the Northeast and was anywhere near either Castle Rock or Promise Falls, I will take all detours necessary to avoid these towns. Nothing good happens in either local. This will be rather like my conviction to never attend a wedding in Westeros.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Had to scrap a lot of the above for now as my high school class started lit circles, and I have 3 novels to re-read.

I did finish my Kindle version of If You Ask Me by Betty White. I also finished listening to After You.

I'm still reading 56 Days and The Next Everest but much more slowly.

For school I'm listening/Kindle reading/Note taking on Song of Solomon, Poisonwood Bible, and The Color Purple. Kids have 4 weeks to read one, we're doing journals with specific foci for each section, and I'm attempting to reread them all and update my notes to match this year's areas of focus. 😱😜

Did I mention I have 87 school days left????