TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 28, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: Archive through December 28, 2021 users admin

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Ric, I hope you get to read Amor Towles' The Lincoln Highway very soon. It was worth waiting for and a wonderfully engaging journey. Right after I finished reading it, I got the mail and a friend had sent me an article about Towles. Save this link to look at after you've read the book:

https://time.com/6102274/amor-towles-the-lincoln-highway/

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, November 06, 2021 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've heard wonderful things about that book, Tresbien - it's on my TBR pile. Malibu Rising is waitlisted, so I'll get to that one eventually, too, Rick!

Two of my Overdrive books came through, so I'm listening to The Mercies and reading Road Trip. Some day I'll finish The Cold Calling. It truly is good, but when I've got 14 days to get through an audiobook AND a Kindle book AND it's the end of term - complete with research projects, final exams, final marking period tests, AND prepping for 3 new classes, well....those that have time limits get read before those that I own get finished.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished both The Mercies - excellent!- and The Road Trip - frustrating as all get out. Both the main characters made me want to shake them!

Still working on papers, and hoping now just to finish the five books I've started before the end of the year! LOL

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - 3:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Lincoln Highway right now. I'm still at the beginning, but Towles' writing is so superb. And I know I can pass this book on to about anybody, and they will enjoy it, too. Not to many writers I can say that about these days.

It's because of Tresbien's link to one of his short stories that turned me on to him. Thank, Tres! :-)

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - 4:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
And thanks to Ricky, too! I finished Anxious People and really enjoyed his wry sense of humor. I highly recommend it.

I'm halfway through the Midnight Library, also a Rick recommendation. I've put it aside for awhile because even though I was really enjoying it, I hit a road block at the point where she is in the Arctic and she meets the video store guy. I will eventually finish it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, November 20, 2021 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
So nice to see your updates, Grooch! I'm so glad you liked Anxious People. And once you resume The Midnight Library, I'm confident you'll enjoy the whole thing, as well. (Fingers crossed.) I'm thoroughly jealous you're reading The Lincoln Highway - I can't wait to read it too!

I recently finished Sunday Silence, by Nicci French, the 7th in the Frieda Klein series. I thought it was the final one (since Sunday is the final day of the week). But, of course, it had a cliffhanger ending and that's how I discovered there's an 8th (and final) book in the series (The Day of the Dead) which will finally resolve the conflict between Frieda and her nemesis throughout the series. It's sort of like the final episode of "The Fugitive" when Richard Kimble finally catches up to the one-armed man. I doubt it'll be as thrilling as that, but you never know. We'll see.

Last night I finished An Ugly Truth by Cecilia Kang and Sheera Frenkel. They are two New York Times reporters who dove deeply into all that is wrong with Facebook's abuse of its users' private data. If you loathe Facebook the way I always have, you'll really detest it after reading this book, which has top-notch research and superior writing quality. It ultimately was a very infuriating experience because of how much Facebook gets away with. Grrrrr.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 20, 2021 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Anxious People is such a good book. It just left you feeling really good about people.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, November 27, 2021 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Rickman's The Cold Calling and did enjoy it despite my much-interrupted reading style.

I've also read Blind Item and Guilty Pleasure by Kevin Dickson and Jack Ketsoyan. Both took about a day to read and were a fun escape.

Now I'm trying to finish listening to Written in My Own Heart's Blood and Angels in America and finish reading my Kindle version of Girl, Woman, Other. Once those are completed, I'll probably try to fit in Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone before the end of the year.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, November 28, 2021 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I was going to ask if there was something else you might be planning to read.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, November 29, 2021 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished "Wolfskin" by Juliet Marillier. Not quite as good as the Sevenwaters books, but still pretty good. I am now reading the second book of this series, Foxmask.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, November 30, 2021 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The other day I finished Sally Rooney’s third (highly acclaimed) novel, Beautiful World, Where Are You. I loved her first two and I loved this one, too. It’s amazing how talented she is — she’s only 30. I hope she can maintain this momentum.

I’m 250 pages into Liane Moriarty’s latest, Apples Never Fall, and I am loving, loving, loving it! I hope the final 200 pages are just as good — if the quality holds up, I may be declaring it the best book she’s written yet. I absolutely adore her writing!

Note to Tres — I forgot to thank you for posting that Time.com link about Amor Towles — I look forward to reading it the instant I finish The Lincoln Highway! There are still over 100 people ahead of me in line at the library. ☹️

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, December 01, 2021 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Apples Never Fall ~ I just got on the list. There are 110 copies available and it's st11 ann 11 week wait. I'm really happy that many people are reading her! :0)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 04, 2021 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Have I mentioned I drastically underestimate my ability to finish books in a timely manner. I've NOT finished Written in My Own Heart's Blood OR Angels in America but I have also started listening to Clanlands the Almanac as it's one I can start and stop. It's a bit OTT and repetitive but they still make me laugh (and there are some good recipes included).

I've added the Kindle book People We Meet on Vacation to my reading of Girl, Woman, Other as the former came up on Overdrive after I'd waited a good 4 months.

And...in a moment of ZERO self-control, I also checked Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach out of our local library.

Do I have critical analysis essays to grade? Yup.
Do I have research papers to grade? Yup.
Do I have final presentations to grade? Yup.
Do I have a final exam to re-write & grade? Yup.
Do I have final grades due by Dec. 15? Yup.

Do I care? Not even a little bit! LOL

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, December 04, 2021 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished Foxmask by Juliet Marillier. It was good. All of her books are quite good, as a young boy from England told me a long time ago.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, December 05, 2021 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Teach, I am wondering if the next question on your list should be as follows:

Do you retire so you can read as often as you wish?

Would the answer be a big YUP!?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, December 05, 2021 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Teach — I simply don’t know how you do it! You’re amazing!

I finished the Moriarty book last night and hated to see it end. It’s one of my very favorite books of 2021. It’s better than almost all her other books except for “Big Little Lies” and “The Husband’s Secret “ (the latter is still my favorite of hers). What a gift she has for writing such interesting characters as well as fun and dishy dialogue. I hope you all like it as much as I did. 🤞

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Ric, I saw your Tweet about Apples Never Fall and promptly downloaded it. Hope to start it soon!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, December 10, 2021 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It’s really long, but I loved it. There’s just something about the way Moriarty writes the conversations that the characters conduct in their own heads — they really crack me up. I hope you like it!!

Last night I finished Sharon Stone’s memoir, The Beauty of Living Twice and was very impressed with it. I had no idea she’s undergone so many major health crises. It was nice and short and entertaining.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, December 10, 2021 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I RETIRE IN 117 SCHOOL DAYS!! I can hardly wait to read EVERY single day for FUN!!!! I'll still have to have a job, but I will NOT have to work AFTER contracted hours and all weekend! WHHEEEEE! (Teaching has simply become unbearable the last 2 years, and I am so grateful I'll have my full 30 in this year.)

I read People We Meet on Vacation in 48 hours and enjoyed it very much.

I have also managed to grade the presentations and analysis essays. Tomorrow I'm taking down the research papers and my Spanish papers from this week (lots of little things). I suspect they will be slightly less enjoyable than than Emily Henry's book.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, December 10, 2021 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
So excited for you Teach!!!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, December 12, 2021 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Woo-hoo! The countdown has begun — I hope the days move as swiftly as possible, Teach! 😛

Yesterday I finished Andrew McCarthy’s memoir, Brat: An ‘80s Story and loved it — so well written! He uses such an economy of language (no wonder the book was only 220 pages), but that language is just marvelous. Very restrained is a good way to describe how he writes. Highly recommended!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 12, 2021 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
For Xmass I wanted to get DH Paul McCartney's THE LIST. Published in November, it's already sold out EVERYWHERE. Am so disappointed. It's super expensive even at a discount price on Amazon. About 130 reg 75 sale. Mind you, It's 900 pages, and I think it's packaged 2 volumes boxed. Looks like I'll be lucky to get it for him by Val Day.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 12, 2021 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Paul McCartney Reveals New Book Will Feature Never-Before-Seen Beatles Lyrics
Paul McCartney's book, The Lyrics: 1956 to the Present, will feature 154 songs, including an unrecorded Beatle's song titled "Tell Me Who He Is"

VANESSA ETIENNE
August 24, 2021 12:07 PM

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, December 19, 2021 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished The Perfect Girl by Gilly MacMillan. It was pretty good. Different for me. Set in modern times.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, December 28, 2021 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Warning! Warning! Do not, I repeat, do not read The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker. It has a 4.10 rating on Goodreads and that alone makes me want to discontinue trusting that rating service. TTATHQA is one of the very worst books ever written. Like a total and complete numbskull, I allowed a co-worker to talk me into reading it. I of course will never speak of books to that person again as long as I live. Warning! Warning! Do not, I repeat, do not read The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker. You have been warned.