TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 05, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: Archive through November 05, 2021 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 18, 2021 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Uncle_ricky that is uber cool. I am so happy for you!

I am also a wee bit jealous. I just tried reserving a copy at my local library to no avail. I may actually buy this as I is not a terribly patient person and Uncle-ricky has turned me into a major Steve Cavanagh fan.

I eagerly await your review Uncle_ricky.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 18, 2021 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just realized I will be traveling outside the USA shortly. Perhaps I will be able to find a copy abroad.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 18, 2021 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Uncle_ricky, my apologies, I realize that you did leave a review and I look forward to reading the book soon.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, September 18, 2021 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thank you both! I really hope you can get a copy, Sugar, to coincide with your travels. I think you'll like it as much as you've liked the other ones. He's an immense talent whose career has only just begun. It's fun to have caught the early wave of his output (instead of having to play catch-up).

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 19, 2021 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've enjoyed getting books through Waterstones in the UK, but since it frequently doubles the price of the book, it has to be one I REALLY want (for example - the newest Val McDermid book, which IS availabe in the US but with a different cover that I did not like).

Started The Push on Kindle today as well as the audiobook Such a Fun Age. Thoroughly enjoying both of them as well as still working on The Cold Calling.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, September 20, 2021 - 5:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "King of Sword and Sky" by C.L. Lewis. One more to go, I think. I'm back to Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters trilogy, "Child of the Prophecy".

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Only finished the audiobook this week and have started listening to Ta-Nehisi Coates' book The Water Dancer. I only have 8 days left to finish The Push, but I've also got 20 essays to grade, 5 sets of journals, and 3 Spanish classes' worth of 2 projects. GAH!!

PS I also ONLY have 166 school days left before grading papers is a memory!! WHHEEE!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, October 03, 2021 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Push and it was good. Disturbing in parts, but good. Now focusing on finishing The Cold Calling before my Kindle Unlimited free month runs out.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, October 04, 2021 - 5:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Juliet Marillier's "Child of the Prophecy". Another really good book. Back to C.L. Lewis's books. There are actually two more.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, October 04, 2021 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Teach, I loved The Push. Very disturbing but oh so unputdownable.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, October 04, 2021 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just read The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner. It was so good! The "lost" apothecary lived in the late 1700s-early 1800s. A woman found one of the apothecary's vials on a mud-larking tour in present-day London and became interested in learning more. Alternating chapters tell the story of both women. It was very good!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, October 06, 2021 - 3:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
That was exactly it, Mamie - can't say I "loved" it because the topic was so disturbing, but it was a page turner for sure!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, October 10, 2021 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Water Dancer by Ta Nehisi Coates and am now listening (again) to Written in My Own Heart's Blood before the new book comes out.

Just as I was focusing on The Cold Calling, I got another OverDrive Kindle book, Sally Rooney's newest Beautiful World, Where Are You? I'm enjoying it as well, though I desperately need more reading time, because....

I also ended up with an interlibrary loan "deadtree" book titled Guilty Pleasures. I need 30 hours a day, so that I have 6 for reading!!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, October 10, 2021 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’m reading Written in My Own Heart's Blood for the first time, right now, before her newest book comes out. I know a lot of her fans liked her earlier novels better (where the focus was pretty much exclusively on Claire and Jamie) but I love the later ones. I find the inclusion of other major characters make it more interesting.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, October 10, 2021 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading Stanley Tucci: My Life Through Food and boy, I just want to hang out with him and eat and eat.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, October 16, 2021 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, Written is one of my top 3 or 4 in the series. It is better paced than some of them and the split between J/C and the other characters is better, IMHO.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, October 18, 2021 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Queen of Song and Souls" by C.L. Wilson, now reading the final book of the series. They are good books. Interesting fantasy.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, October 20, 2021 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Finished Chris Whitaker's crime novel We Begin At The End. It's a complex story full of complicated characters, maybe one of the most twisty novels I've ever read. Well written and compelling, it's a good one for clearing out the tear ducts.

On to the long awaited new novel from Amor Towles, The Lincoln Highway. Hope to finish that and John Grisham's new one, The Judge's List, before the even longer awaited Outlander Book 9. I had thought about re-reading Written but don't have time for it now. Enjoy it Jimmer!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, October 20, 2021 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Dave Grohl's memoir The Storyteller is a fantastic read. I love him even more after reading it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, October 31, 2021 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Tres, I'm insanely jealous you get to read the new Amor Towles! And thanks for letting us know about the Grohl memoir, Mamie -- I had no idea!

I'm very behind on my reviews, so I'll just do a quick snapshot (and spare you all of my usual ramblings)!

Lay Down My Sword and Shield by James Lee Burke, the third book of his career. It's much better than his first two. I will get to his fourth book as soon as I can.

The Guncle by Steven Rowley. A charming little novel about a reclusive gay man in Palm Springs who helps his brother go to rehab and also takes care of the brother's two young children while the dad is in the rehab facility. Very well written and, happily, the two children characters are not at all annoying (very rare).

A Man Named Doll by Jonathan Ames. It's been a few years since Ames last wrote a new novel and this is terrific from top to bottom. The protagonist, Happy Doll, is a troubled ex-cop who gets into a wild series of jams over the course of a few days while trying to stem the flow of dead bodies that keep surrounding him -- I loved every page!

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston is #1 with a bullet on the Worst Book of the Year charts. A dear friend talked me into reading it, which I was determined NOT to do because I loathed McQuiston's first book. But I saw that it had a Goodreads rating of 4.15, so I thought it couldn't be that bad. Oh, but it was! She must have paid the Goodreads staff hundreds of thousands of dollars to manufacture that 4.15 rating. If you read this book, you will wish you were in hell - guaranteed!

You Got Anything Stronger? by Gabrielle Union. This memoir (in short-story form) came highly recommended, too, but it definitely lived up to the hype. I really like her writing style. I didn't realize this was her second memoir, so now I have to read her first one.

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Another winner from Ms. Reid. I loved that the majority of the book is set over one 24-hour period in 1983. It's a little bit soapy, but it's really good soap. I loved the characters -- the main ones being four siblings who have to fend for themselves after tragedy strikes their family. I was only disappointed that the main male character did not suffer more than he did.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, November 01, 2021 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Love your reviews, Ric!

With respect to the last one, I also enjoy books that cover short periods of time in detail. I don’t recall coming across many of them though.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, November 01, 2021 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I love your reviews too, Ricky! I'm still laughing hard at your snapshot of the McQuiston book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, November 01, 2021 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ric, I agree that I wish he had suffered more in Malibu Rising. He was a douchebag.

I have The Guncle, just haven't read it yet. Good to know you enjoyed it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, November 01, 2021 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jim and Margie — you’re too kind! And, Mary, d-bag is much too nice a term! The Guncle is fun (and funny) — the little boy (can’t remember his name) who is the Guncle’s nephew is beyond adorable!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 3:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Heir to Sevenwaters," by Juliet Marillier. Now reading "Seer of Sevenwaters". Didn't realize she had so many more books.