TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 01, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: General Discussion: Archive through October 01, 2020 users admin

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Interesting article Jimmer so thanks for sharing.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You’re welcome, Kappy. It’s quite thought provoking. I’m concerned that privacy is becoming a thing of the past.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think for most of us, what we read, especially from the library, is the least of our worries. However it does point out the larger situation where very little is private.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Probably but here’s just one example from the above article where it could create privacy issues.

quote:

You can also inadvertently leak your own information. Overdrive's apps let you transfer your library e-books to the Kindle app, which tips off Amazon to the library books you read. Some librarians have questioned whether patrons know that's happening and that there could be unintended consequences, Berman says.

For example, a young person might not realize that reading a YA novel with a gay or trans protagonist on their Kindle app could prompt similar titles to appear in accounts they share with their family. That might out him or her before they're ready.

Anyone doing research on something they may not want disclosed would face similar risks. Of course, even a general google search presents similar problems. People just have to be aware of what they’re putting out there.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
The Weight of Ink was one of the free Kindle owner books. I was intrigued by the cover art even more than the cover. I had not heard of the author or the book before. It got me thinking about what draws us to read a book aside from bestseller lists and personal recommendations. Do you often pick up a book based on the title or cover art alone?

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
All of the time. That's how I pick out most of my books. Just whatever looks interesting to me, or is available.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Covers used to be one draw when I still read paper books. Not so much since Kindle the last dozen years.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Same for me. A clever or interesting title grabs my eye too.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 17, 2019 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Cover art never attracts me, but that's only because art (in general) does not interest me. I can recall seeing a couple of titles that were provocative enough to lure me to read the entire book - just a couple of times though. Otherwise, I'm strictly a personal recommendations or (familiarity with the writer from previous works) person.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 17, 2019 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sometimes a compelling cover will spark my interest.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 17, 2019 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Conversely, some cover art repels me and I will likely pass that book by unless it is just a poor choice by an author I already know and love.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Has anybody used Sellbackyourbook.com?

You put in the isbn # from the back of the book and they tell you how much they will pay for it. And they pay for you shipping the books to them.

My sister just told me about it. She hasn't tried it yet. So far I put 2 numbers in and 1 book they offered $5 And the other they offered 12 cents.

Be interesting to know whether this is a scam or not.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
What were the books?

I’ve often thought it’s such a shame that there isn’t a better mechanism for buying/selling used books.

And I hate hate hate the fact that you can’t pass along electronic books once you are finished reading them.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
The 12 cent book was the National Audubon Society of birds and the $5 one was The Hands on Home.

I try to sell my books when I have a yard sale, but I'm lucky to sell a couple for 50 cents each. And the local thrift stores don't want to take them because they don't sell there either.

I buy most of my books at yard sales and I won't pay more than a dollar for them unless it's something special. And if I go to the yard sale in the afternoon I can usually get them for free. I try to avoid the library because I always return them late and it ends up being cheaper to buy the book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Friends of the Library sales.

Bookcrossing.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Grooch, do you have a kindle? You can borrow your library books digitally and they just take them back when your time is up. Of course, probably not all the books they have are available but I keep myself busy with what they offer.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 3:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    

quote:

J.R.R. Tolkien
@JRRTolkien
23h

On this day in 1937, J.R.R. #Tolkien’s #TheHobbit was published. The story of The Hobbit began in the 1920s when Tolkien was marking papers, of which on the back of one he wrote the words: "In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit.” #CelebrateTheHobbit

I first read the Hobbit in 5th grade. I couldn't put it down.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Thought you'd enjoy this article about reading and re-reading at different life stages:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/to-read-or-reread-new-books-are-alluring-but-dont-discount-the-value-of-the-familiar/2020/01/28/c3ce9ff2-4167-11ea-aa6a-083d01b3ed18_story.html

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Some of these brought happy tears to my eyes..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/how-12-authors-turned-their-book-dedications-into-grand-romantic-gestures/2020/02/11/....

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Friday, March 27, 2020 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Headline in WAPO: If You've Run Out of Toilet Paper, Woody Allen's Memoir Is Also Made Of Paper. Ouch!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/if-youve-run-out-of-toilet-paper-woody-allens-memoir-is-also-made-of-paper/2020/03/27/7ab70f18-6d66-11ea-a3ec-70d7479d83f0_story.html

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, March 27, 2020 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Lol!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I would use it for that it I had a free paper copy. Not one cent would I spend on anything to do with Woody Allen.

I need a list to boycott the publisher. Another publisher backed out when they got blowback from their employees.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Sunday, March 29, 2020 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
An article about books to read during the lockdown: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/life-under-lockdown-recommended-books-ron-charles/

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, March 29, 2020 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thanks for that link, Tresbien! I am now on the waitlist for The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich as I remember enjoying her book The Round House. Her latest book is a story based on her grandfather and his actions in the 1950's to protect his tribe from changes being made by the government to the American Native Indian Treaties.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
The Kindle version of Dan Rather's book What Unites Us is on sale for $1.99 today.