TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Favorite Book Read in 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Favorite Book Read in 2020 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, December 13, 2020 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was perusing my 2020 books read spreadsheet and decided my favorite read this year was Educated, a Memoir by Tara Westover. I found it fascinating and surprisingly compassionate.

My reading was not as robust this year with libraries being closed re Covid but this is the book that I think about the most often of all that I read. The reading year has had many hits and misses and I stopped reading things that didn't interest me more versus plodding thru to the end.
I don't read much non fiction so it is a bit of a surprise to me that my fav for the year is a non fiction book that is a few years old.

I know it is hard too choose, but what is your favorite read of 2020? It doesn't have to be published in 2020, just a book read this year.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 14, 2020 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
My book reading has been way down this year as my attention span is just nil.

I have two favorites:
How We Fight for Our Lives (Saeed Jones) was THE book of this year that I will never forget. Amazing, amazing, amazing. Probably the best final line in a book ever written.

Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other (Sam Heughan & Graham McTavish) was my fun read - both audio and Kindle versions. It made me laugh and gave me a break from all the stress of the school year. For that I will be forever grateful.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, December 14, 2020 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Good question, Sugar.

My list for the year is sad. I looked through this thread and my Kindle and found only 12 books. Dismal amount for me. There may have been a few more through Kindle Unlimited I couldn't track. I found it hard to read this year. I found quite a few started and unfinished too.

I guess my favorite would either be The Escape Room by Megan Goldin or The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid as well.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, December 14, 2020 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Teach, thank you for your two recommendations.

I recently signed up for Audible so I went there to look up "How We Fight for Our Lives" by Saeed Jones. I read the review and listened to the sample. The book is read by Saeed Jones and after 30 seconds of hearing his voice as he read his story, I was hooked. Mr. Jones speaks clearly and eloquently and just drew me into his story.

Audible was having a sale for this book for $5.00 or one of my Credits. I bought the Audible book for $5.00 and I look forward to hearing this memoir.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, December 14, 2020 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Egbok. I took advantage of the $5.00 deal.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, December 14, 2020 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
You're welcome!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, December 14, 2020 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I’m sorely tempted to agree with Teach about the Saeed Jones book as my favorite for 2020. Alas, I must go with Chanel Miller’s Know My Name — it’s been months since I finished it but the haunting elements continue to haunt me because of how disturbing they were. The Jones book got to me in a similar fashion but for entirely different reasons. Again, it was very difficult to choose one over the other. My favorite work of fiction, though, was Matt Haig’s The Midnight Library, which was a stunning achievement on so many levels.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 14, 2020 - 11:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Educated and Know My Name for me.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 15, 2020 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I really loved Educated, so much of it resonated with me.

I'll have to look up these others... what a great idea for a thread!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, December 15, 2020 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Great thread Sugar! I'm going to go with Westering Women by Sandra Dallas because it introduced me to a new author and genre. I went on to read three more of her books this year.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, December 15, 2020 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks everyone, I'm pleased people like the thread.

Kappy, glad you are still enjoying the Sandra Dallas books.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Yes, Sugar, and I believe I have you to thank for that! I actually just finished number five from her, The Last Midwife.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, December 18, 2020 - 2:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Just thought I'd add a certain somebody's favorite book list of 2020. I hope you don't mind.

quote:

Barack Obama
@BarackObama

As 2020 comes to a close, I wanted to share my annual lists of favorites. I’ll start by sharing my favorite books this year, deliberately omitting what I think is a pretty good book – A Promised Land – by a certain 44th president. I hope you enjoy reading these as much as I did.

Link to see list

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, December 18, 2020 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
From Barry's list I've heard tons of praise for Caste by Isabel Wilkerson. It's on my tbr list. I hope to get to it someday.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Saturday, December 19, 2020 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
I love to share favorite reads, and I gave three copies of Truly Madly Guilty to friends.

Wonderful topic, Sugar, thank you and everyone.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, January 03, 2021 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I seem to have only read 71 books last year and did not finish 8. It is over a book a week but I suspect it is probably at least 20 books shy of what I would normally read.

Although I did like many of the fiction books I read, there weren't any real stand out books that I continue to ruminate over or feel compelled to really encourage other to read. As mentioned in my first post in this thread, I was surprised my fav book was non fiction.

Some of the fiction books I did like were:
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman
Clover Blue by Eldonna Edwards
The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan
and the odd little book, Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: