TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 11, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: General Discussion: Archive through April 11, 2019 users admin

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Oh for crimminies sake. Lol already done, what was that? Less than one minute? Downloaded app and I still had one-click set up from when I had the kindle. Way too easy!! Thanks again.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read Karin Slaughter? She came up on a 'recommendation' list at the library for me. I want to start the Will Trent series with Triptych.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have seen her name and maybe read a book but it would have been long long ago and I have no memories to help you.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, February 19, 2016 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    

Ruperbear2, thank you for a good laugh!

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Friday, March 31, 2017 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Interesting article about a book about writing:
'Nabokov's Favorite Word Is Mauve' Crunches The (Literary) Numbers
The author lists the authors who loves cliches, write in a certain way, their favorite words (this was funny), etc.

I don't have the book but thought the article by NPR looked promising.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, March 31, 2017 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Too funny, Scotchbright. My one e-mail interaction with an author involved this very thing. M. Clifford wrote The Book one of my very favorite dystopian novels; I went looking for others written by him and found The Muse of Edouard Manet - a bit of a mystery with time travel and a painter. In that 400-page book, the word "smirk" was used 40 times, so much that I was beginning to think it was a clue to the mystery but one that I hadn't manage to figure out by the end. Solution: I e-mailed Mr. Clifford (who has a blog with an e-mail option) and asked.

His reply: Whoops! No clue. No mystery. Editing wasn't good enough.

My thrill: He posted my e-mail and his reply to his website for a bit as an example of how editing/publishing works and how not all things are going to be perfect. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, March 31, 2017 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Fabulous story, Teach - love it!!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am so annoyed at the slipshod editing of the book I am currently reading. They missed a few little words here and there, which I can forgive, however, not this big thing IMO.

Please note that this 1st time author is a teacher per the book jacket.

One of the main characters has finished Thanksgiving dinner and gone to bed. The next morning she wakes up to take the kids to school...she does the same thing the day after that. There is no kindergarten the Friday after Thanksgiving and no school on Saturday.
I have never heard of a school holding classes over this holiday weekend. My family is chock-a-block full of teachers, nary a one of them has had school on those days. These are teachers in different states, districts...

A little thing in the grand scheme of life, but it really irritated me.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Is the author Canadian or British where either their day is different or non-existent?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
No, she teaches in Chicago and is from the USA where she grew up in the Midwest according to the book jacket.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, April 03, 2017 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
The story is set in Connecticut.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 03, 2017 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ugh -- that would drive me nuts, too. Even NON-teachers know that kind of schedule!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Really.. all students know about day after Thanksgiving.. uh.. Black Friday..

Kind of like in the movie The Graduate when Dustin Hoffman is on the Bay Bridge.. but they show a car going the other direction that he just said he was going. Of course that wouldn't be as universally known. but I saw the movie in Oakland so the entire theatre groaned..

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sadly, I've almost never seen a movie or TV show accurately portray a profession that I know something about. My wife's obstetrician told us that she would get so frustrated watching some medical dramas that she'd have to change the channel.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I can imagine!

Reading on the Call the Midwife site, they always have an actual midwife on to make sure the birthing scenes are accurate..

But that certainly seems to be an exception.

I know I hope my surgeons were not fighting while they operated on me!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
For Agatha Christie fans, there's a movie on Netflix now called Agatha and the Truth of Murder. Christie went missing for 11 days after her first husband asked her for a divorce. She claimed amnesia when she returned and supposdedly never did tell anyone where she had been. This movie is a fictional account of what might have happened during those 11 days and because it plays out like one of her own novels, it's a fun who-dunnit.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
If anyone has read A Gentleman in Moscow, CBS This Morning has a story about the author and the hotel in the book. You can watch it and see how the hotel compares to what you imagined as you were reading the book.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the tip, Grooch. I always tape that show on Sundays - I’ll watch the segment tonight. Thanks again! 😛

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Here's another tip.

Remember when Maris came by and told us about her friend writing a book about the View called Ladies Who Punch?

The book must be out now because I was watching a repeat of Watch What Happens Live. Andy had the author on as the bartender. I can't remember if the guests were Ramona Singer or the night with John McEnroe. You can watch it On Demand. Or get the book. :-)

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Here's a good article on what's in the book.

New Book Reveals Stunning Misconduct And Dysfunction At ABC’s 'The View'

I will have to try and watch the show this week to see if they talk about it.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, April 04, 2019 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Has anybody seen this?

Microsoft announces it will shut down ebook program and confiscate its customers' libraries

quote:

Microsoft has a DRM-locked ebook store that isn't making enough money, so they're shutting it down and taking away every book that every one of its customers acquired effective July 1.

Customers will receive refunds.

For the life of me I can't imagine having my books just taken away from me like that. And what if Microsoft was going belly up and couldn't afford to give you a refund? Could they still take them away?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, April 04, 2019 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is one of the things I dislike about eBooks. To a large degree, the customer doesn’t actually own the book in the way that the customer owns a paper book. There is no physical copy that you own. It’s hard to transfer it among devices and you usually can’t lend it to friends or family. On top of that, they charge libraries a significantly higher price to purchase them (because they can do it, unlike with paper books where the library can just purchase them like any consumer). Plus they’re incredibly cheap to produce and those savings aren’t transferred to the consumer but go straight to profit.

I’m not sure what will happen when there is more self-publishing as I understand the industry is very tightly controlled.

Incidentally, the same problem occurs when you “buy” a TV show from Apple, for example. Although you can view it as many times as you want to there is no guarantee that Apple won’t take it away at some point. It’s not like you have a physical copy of it.

And don’t get me started (again) on the appalling gouging costs for audiobooks. It’s shameful.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Friday, April 05, 2019 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
I couldn't agree with you more, Jimmer, on all points.

Bottom line for me, I need a real book in my hands. The experience of reading for me is much loved and part of that love is for the book that I hold in my hands, a book, not an electronic device.

For those who do own e-readers and enjoy the experience, great. For me, it will never happen.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Here’s an interesting article about eBooks, libraries and privacy. At the moment, I’m not very concerned if people know what I’m reading but I can easily see how this could be a big issue for some people.

What e-books at the library mean for your privacy
Folks know what you read last summer.
by Laura Hautala

“Privacy ensures that there's no chilling effect," said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, deputy director of the Office of Intellectual Freedom at the American Library Association, "so you don't avoid a topic because you fear the judgment of neighbors or your government."

The new technology environment is at odds with the traditional role libraries have played as champions of privacy. Librarians stood up to the US government over requirements in the 2001 USA Patriot Act to share records with law enforcement. They designed policies that require that records of the books you've checked out are deleted as soon as you return them. And they've pushed every US state to adopt protections for patron records.

E-books and audiobooks, now standard at libraries, make protecting privacy harder. Titles are usually provided through private companies, which can access your data. And today's software can create more comprehensive records about you than a simple list of the books you checked out. (You can also get many e-books and audiobooks online free and legally.)

.... more at the link

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-e-books-at-the-library-mean-for-your-privacy/