TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 19, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: SUGGESTIONS DESPERATELY NEEDED!!: Archive through June 19, 2017 users admin

Iheartkaysar

08-16-2005

Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iheartkaysar a private message Print Post    
Naja, have you read anything by Andrew Pyper? I just read The Damned and it creeped me out. His earlier book, The Demonologist, is quite popular, too.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thanks for those suggestions, Teach and Iheart. Andrew Pyper sounds especially good to me.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 4:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Naja, someone just sent me a link to Bookbub, and I thought of you when I saw this there: https://www.bookbub.com/books/rage-against-the-night-by-stephen-king-and-ramsey-campbell?ebook_deal

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I have to say, I'm creeped out just by reading some of the suggestions.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Naja, I haven't read this, but I had it on a list of possibilities to read. The band/scary house angle appealed to me. It's only 146 pages.

'Wylding Hall' by Elizabeth Hand

From the award-winning author of Waking the Moon, a short novel of unexpected terror

When the young members of a British acid-folk band are compelled by their manager to record their unique music, they hole up at Wylding Hall, an ancient country house with dark secrets. There they create the album that will make their reputation, but at a terrifying cost: Julian Blake, the group’s lead singer, disappears within the mansion and is never seen or heard from again.

Now, years later, the surviving musicians, along with their friends and lovers—including a psychic, a photographer, and the band’s manager—meet with a young documentary filmmaker to tell their own versions of what happened that summer. But whose story is true? And what really happened to Julian Blake?

Synopsis from Amazon

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
22 years, 2 of my own kids, and 10 nieces snd nephews and it has finally happened! My 2nd to youngest niece reads for fun, I'm so happy it's ridiculous. The other kids read, but only cuz they had to. I've always bought them books, but jump around genres trying to find something they might like.

She is 8, nearly 9, and headed for the 4th grade. She's smart, just tested for the GATE
program, but I don't want to go too advanced for books yet. She reads chapter books and loves fairy tales and princesses. She's not interested in anything too scary. She's also the only girl in the family, and this includes the grown women, lol, who is a real girlie girl.

Any suggestions? I'm really not up on girlie girl, fairy tale princess stuff, but I'd love to buy her some books we can enjoy together. Anything your kids, grankids, etc love?

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Wargod, consider:
Bridge to Terabithia
The Indian In the Cupboard
Nancy Drew (is that still relevant?)
Anne of Green Gables
Alice in Wonderland (can be enjoyed on many levels)

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I second Anne of Green Gables.

There's also:

The Secret Garden
The Little Princess

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
War, my mom always had books for me. Of course the typical series, but a real theme was biographies I powerful women.. Clara Barton, Amelia Earhart, etc.

And now we have more women writing in ways to empower girls.. tennis players, gymnasts and I get there would be a ballerina.

A little girl who loves link and princesses, unicorns and my little pony and so much more dictated her book and approved the illustrations.. She had CMT a progressive neurological condition and had lost use of her hands and had to talk around her bills machine.. But her mind was amazing and her taste in princess apparel was impeccable.

Julianna Snow.. Anyway, her book might be interesting and certainly illustrated for the girliest of girls.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29911637-julianna-s-adventures

CMT is Charcot-Marie-Tooth.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Charlotte's Web
I also like the Anne of Green Gables suggestion. I remember my mom trying to get me to read it and I didn't read it until I was a young adult.
Perhaps Judy Blame, the Ramona books.
Matilda
I remember The Magic Treehouse books being popular back in my bookstore days.

I just did a bit of googling and found something that might be fun. Chris Golfer (He was in Glee) has written a series called The Land of Stories. It appears to be about twins who fall from the real world into fairy tales and discover there is more than meets the eye.

I think I will check that series out for myself.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
How could I forget Hans Christian Anderson's Complete Fairy Tales?
Pippi Longstocking
The Wind In The Willows

My thought about princesses in stories is that there usually is an antagonist, so that could be scary, too. For that reason, I wouldn't rule out the first couple of Harry Potter books.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I personally never think anything is too advanced if it's something of interest

The narnia series in the order published ...lots of female heroes in there

Little house on the prairie series

Wizard of Oz series

Russian fairy tales were great, be it with the scary witch

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I loved a really old book that a babysitter gave me.

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter.

Magical, but based on her own chikdhood, I think.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Thank you guys, I'm going to have to look some of these up that I'm not familiar with.

The Chris Golfer series sounds fun. I know there are several authors who have been taking fairy tales and reimagining them for adults, and more modern, not sure there are many like that for kids. Disney has The Descendants (I think thats what its called) with the Disney villians kids, but I wonder if stuff like that is too old for her.

I've thought about the classics, I especially loved Nancy Drew and Pippi Longstocking when I was little, won a Halloween costume contest one year dressed as Pippi, lol.

Heh, funny, I was looking at a book yesterday for the 8 and 9 year old nieces in mind, something like 20 girl & women heroes from history. I'll have to look up the title later in case any of you are interested. I'm on a mission this year to find toys, games, and books for the STEM subjects and some fun history would be pretty cool too.

I'm going to admit this, and people usually look at me like I'm nuts, lol, but I'm not a fan of the Wizard of Oz. I've seen the whole movie once and I still have nightmares about the flying monkeys. They rank right up there with Pennywise.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 12:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Ok, that book is called Women Heroes of the American Revolution: 20 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Defiance, and Rescue (Women of Action) by Susan Casey.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 2:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Wargod, my brother hates monkeys to this day because of that movie. So, you are not alone. We tease him unmercifully about it though.

My aunt feels the same way about clowns. A few years ago I found a large stained glass face of a clown. It was hand made. The person even put googly eyes on it. I bought it and wrapped it up in a pizza box and Christmas wrapping paper. My monkey hating brother does stained glass, so i put his name on it as the giver. When she opened it up, she screamed and flung the clown across the room. Best dollar I spent. Lol!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 2:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
LOL, Grooch, that is funny!

Darren's been teasing me for years that he's going to send his flying monkeys after me, lol. I don't know what it is about them, but they are just wrong.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 4:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I totally understand about the flying monkeys :-) although they might not be as scary on the pages of a book... just as a caveat the whole SERIES of Oz books is far more interesting then just the "Wizard of Oz"... the other characters in more of the books can be very captivating.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
War I'd like to suggest Little Women and also by Louisa May Alcott, Eight Cousins and the sequel Rose in Bloom.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Misty of Chincoteague is a must read! I think it was a true story. It's about a mare from Assateague Island. We had the toy ponies when we were kids.

And The Witch of Blackbird Pond was good, also.

Don't forget Heidi.

I like books that have a little bit of history and what life was like back in the "old" days.

I second Little women, also. But you have to get Misty. Who can resist ponies? Lol!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Little Women, but also get Jo's Boys.. I think there was a third.

Also there might be books by and about Sally Ride.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jimmer has two daughters.. They might have some recommendations..

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah Heidi and also Pollyanna

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Anne of Green Gables series.