TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 09, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: General Discussion: Archive through September 09, 2015 users admin

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just received notice that my library offers a service, called Hoopla, to rent video, music, and audio books for your PC or mobile device. Pretty nifty!!

Here is the Hoopla site to see if the service is available through a library in your area...

https://www.hoopladigital.com/home

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It looks like a great service, Rieann. And should I ever abandon my (too-proud) Luddism, I will definitely make use of Hoopla (the L.A. Public Library participates). For now, and probably forevermore, I'll keep lugging books out of the library the "old fashioned" way. Thanks again for the tip - let us know how it works (assuming you decide to use it yourself).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, they didn't start out well.. they don't support IE browser.

Anyway I have more books in the Amazon Cloud than I could possibly read before I make my exit.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I sent the link to Hoopla to our librarian (I'm on the board), and she said a library within an hour of us and in our consortium is looking into it. That could be lots of fun!

Finished the Wallander book and am listening to A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow. I'll start Adichie's Americana when I get dug out from under the paper load - probably sometime next weekend.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The app comes in istore and google store, so they aren't reaching out to the Kindle community so far and there are a lot of kindles/fires.

Seems this thread is different than the discussion of books we have read.. and we nee d you there, Teach, for all the great books you add here.

That is cool that you were able to speak up for Hoopla locally.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Oh, yes... keep discussing books you read in the other thread. Maybe I should have named this thread "library related discussion", or something to that affect. I just wasn't sure where to put the info.

I agree it is a bummer that you cannot use Kindle. I was mainly excited to be able to watch movies on my laptop, the audiobooks, and music.

That is good news they are looking into it, Teach. I noticed quite a range of libraries across the country and Canada.

Uncle Ricky, I still lug books and dvd's from the library too!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm on Amazon Prime and can do the music, movies, books, etc that way, so I'm fine. And really don't have time to even keep up with tv and reading and a few games I play on the kindle, but I think it is great that libraries are evolving

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Maya Angelou has passed away.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/05/28/maya-angelou-quotes/9663257/

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
:-(

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Ooooooh. I still miss my Borders big time. A little of it is back. I was in local Barnes & Noble media dept. last Thursday. Heard an announcement, "Come to the music dept. . . ." OMG! Yes, OMG! That voice sounds familiar. I looked towards the desk. KEVIN! He was manager of media dept. at my Borders. He was (and is again) so knowledgeable and helpful. I'd talked with him a lot. So good to see and talk with him again.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 3:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just finished Susan Wiggs' THE APPLE ORCHARD.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's nice to hear, Color. Maybe you could put in a good word for him to the management? Might help him out?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That's super, Color!!!

And I like Jimmer's suggestion.

When we had to change Curves locations.. ours abruptly closed as in one day people worked out on Saturday, they left, and everything was moved out, sign on door, gone. Anyway one of the employees had JUST been asked to come back and had worked a couple of weeks (another was on vacation, not told a thing), so at the new to us Curves, I mentioned to the owner that if she did need help, or want to hire, Linda would be excellent.. she smiled and said she had been hearing this from others too and she had an interview set up .. and Linda has blossomed there since now she has an actual manager, they sent her for training/certification for Curves and she's a valued employee.

Sounds like BN got a good guy!

Mame, that is cool, but the what are you reading thread might get more response (lol, or none, but someone might be interested in the title).

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
That's nice to hear, Color. Maybe you could put in a good word for him to the management? Might help him out?

I did exactly that yesterday. Looked at web site for local B&N. No e-mail address. So I was there yesterday and asked for the manager. Told him I was a Borders fan / customer. So happy to see Kevin there and B&N is very lucky to have him. I think last Thursday when I was there and definitely yesterday, overheard another former Borders customer happy to see Kevin again. I hadn't planned on renewing my B&N membership, but I did when I bought CDs from Kevin.

When I was talking to Kevin, he said he had a five minute interview and he was hired. I could kinda do better than that myself. Was at one legal secretary job and looking for another. Called a law firm in response to a small ad in the paper. Cuz of one particular thing I said to HR person on that initial call (not really work history type of thing), I basically got the job. Was at that firm for 12 years.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Harper Lee to Publish Sequel to "To Kill a Mockingbird"
By HILLEL ITALIE AP National Writer

Publisher Harper announced Tuesday that "Go Set a Watchman," a novel the Pulitzer Prize-winning author completed in the 1950s and put aside, will be released July 14. Rediscovered last fall, "Go Set a Watchman" is essentially a sequel to "To Kill a Mockingbird," although it was finished earlier. The 304-page book will be Lee's second, and the first new work in more than 50 years.

<snip>

ABC News

I can't wait to read this one!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Something fun from the American Antiquarian Society::

amant

This illustration of a woman reading in her messy kitchen while the baby cries and a dog steals a pie off the window sill is entitled "The Novel Reader." The plate appears in several American gift books in the 1840s with texts warning against the dangers of reading "immoral" books.

(Larger image here]

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I need recommendations. My dad has vision problems, but I bought him a Kindle and he is able to read that easily enough (in really BIG text). He loves Westerns (not the romance variety). He has read lots of Louis Lamour and the old traditional westerns...anybody know of some good recommendations I can download to his Kindle?

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, April 03, 2015 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Has he read any of the Zane Grey novels? My grandfather loved those and they are just good old western stories.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I don't know much about westerns. I did see that in the western/mystery section at Goodreads that the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson is popular, as well as novels by Tony Hillerman. I'm not sure if he would go for that type or not.

Also found in standard western...

Doc: A Novel
and its sequel-
Epitaph: A Novel of the O.K. Corral

by Mary Doria Russell

Roxip

01-29-2004

Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yes, he read all the Zane Grey novels. Thanks for the recommendations. I will look them up on Amazon. So many of the ones I found were mostly romance novels and my 88-year old father isn't really interested in romance at this point (I kind of wish he was - I know he gets lonely and I would love for him to find a companion).

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 4:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Morning!! I have a question about ireader/iBooks. I would like to read a new book, My Secret Sister by Helen Edwards and Jenny Lee Smith. It has been in stores for a few weeks now but isn't available through Apple. Is it usual for it to take a few weeks for new books to be available on Apple or if it it's not out by now, chances are the author didn't release the rights to Apple? It is available as an ereader through Kindle so the authors didn't have an issue with going digital.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 4:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Oh, as a secondary question... I used to have a kindle but haven't used it, or the kindle app in years. Anyone have experience with downloading the kindle app on an iPad? No issues or advice? I really would like to read this book so will probably buy it as a kindle download. I have done this a very long time ago but onto my PC desktop, never an Apple based iPad. I am not one to be afraid of playing with new technology/programs ... Until my credit card gets involved. Lol.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Sorry, Rissa, but not an Apple user. Hopefully someone will be by soon who can answer your questions.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It works very nicely on the iPad. Just download the Kindle app from iTunes. Then (if I recall right since it has been a while since I set it up), just sign into your amazon account.

I've bought a few books using Amazon. I usually buy them using my computer and web browser (create an account at Amazon) and then you can pick where you want them sent (your iPad for example).

It's one of those things that's probably harder to explain than it is to do. Let us know if you have any questions. :-)

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Sounds simple enough Jimmer. So you have to read them through the different app but otherwise no issues with using an iPad? Perfect! Thank you.