TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Footloose

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Footloose users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I confess that I've seen the original probably a dozen times, could nearly recite parts of the script. It was released during my formative high school years, so made quite an impact.

Last night DD, 9, and I watched the original. I watched some of the extras on the DVD as well. It spoke of the music, how the music and movie launched each other. A #1 album, several #1 songs. The songs were characters in the film, not an afterthought. I think the original holds up fairly well over time.

DD and I saw the new movie and both of us enjoyed it a lot. I appreciated that in many parts they stayed very faithful to the original -- things like fashion and even some camera angles and right out of the first film. I appreciated some of the plot changes, not just to set it in the present, but also to fill in some possible gaps on the original.

Of course I had some issues with the remake, places where I think they dropped the ball.
#1 - the music -- I don't see a #1 album here at all. The remade songs are not as good as the originals. The other songs feel like filler or background -- not speaking from or about the characters. Not adding to the movie or moving the story along.
#2 - a key scene between the preacher and wife is missing! It's only 2 or 3 lines of dialogue and I can't believe they left it out. It always felt like a key sequence to me, addressing the "evilness" of dance and what it can lead to.
#3 - the scene at the drive-in was so much better in the original as the kids were not blatantly dancing, but they were moving to the music. Very different feel, showing how the music, spirit of dance just comes out of you naturally. The new scene was just dance and not as catchy or clever.

Overall, DD and I liked the new film. We both agreed that Kevin Bacon is "hotter" than the new kid. We both agree that Julianne is way better than the orignal girl (Lori Singer -- who I never really liked in the film -- the only bad casting in the original). We both like the preacher and wife from the original better. I think the breakout star of this flick is going to be the hayseed sidekick who can't dance. He stole the show.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: