TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Help

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Help users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 25, 2011Lakecat25 08-25-11  9:02 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Yes - it's a movie and it's fiction - but if I had lived w/racism, it would just be another example of how the white world has more power.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, August 26, 2011 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Another article about the big and small problems of The Help

CLICK HERE.

Boberg

10-04-2002

Friday, September 02, 2011 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Well, I’d like to testify that if you forget about what The Help looks like it adds up to “on paper,” and if you actually watch what’s up there on screen, what you’ll see is a movie that is tender, biting, honest, surprising, and far, far more curious and morally adventurous about race than many have given it credit for. The key to the film’s power, and its originality, is this: It’s a movie not about taking bold crusader’s stands — which, at this point, wouldn’t be a bold movie to make anyway — but about the low-key, day-to-day, highly ambivalent intimacy of black/white relationships in the Deep South. It’s about what really goes on in middle-class households between the lines of the most seemingly ordinary encounters.

More than that, what’s refreshing about The Help — and this, I think, is what the critics of it have gotten wrong — is that it doesn’t use white characters as a false entry point of identification for the audience. It is, rather, a sprawling ensemble piece that asks everyone in the audience — black and white, women and men — to identify with everyone on screen. That’s the way that Robert Altman’s films used to work. They were tough-minded spectacles of shifting empathy, and The Help, though it lacks Altman’s storytelling magic (it’s prose rather than poetry), isn’t so far removed in spirit from an Altman film. Every woman in it has her own way of looking at the world, and the movie wants you to understand how those viewpoints all jostle and mesh and collide.

Why does this movie centered on black experience have so many white characters? Because it’s one of the rare Hollywood movies that begins to capture the extraordinarily complex black/white synergy of the Deep South. There’s a fantastic contradiction at the film’s core: The chatty, upscale Betty Draper-gone-Dixie housewives treat their maids as lowly, often invisible employees, yet they rely on them as nannies, and the children the maids take care of regard them as surrogate mothers. So, in truth, they’re far from lowly. Yet if the reality of these relationships were readily acknowledged, it would be a blasphemy....more at link

http://preview.tinyurl.com/Review-The-Help

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I thought it was a great movie and so did my 14-year old (who was the one who wanted to see it - I didn't). I thought it was a period piece that showed a view of the way things were at the time...it could have been harder hitting but that wasn't the kind of movie it was meant to be. It made me think, it made my daughter and I have meaningful conversations about racism and classism, it made me think about situations in my childhood and wonder whether my mother was one of those women...and made me know that racism is still alive and well although somewhat less overt. I could share all of this with my daughter and know that she has been raised in a different time with a different viewpoint and hopefully will never allow this kind of situation to happen in her time.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I will be watching this later today.

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Monday, December 12, 2011 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
great movie I think I but it.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
It was pretty sobering, but I enjoyed the education...plus it was great seeing Cicely Tyson again.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I loved the book so much I can't bring myself to see the movie!

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Tnt, I read the book a while back and just recently rented the movie. IMHO, the book (as usual) is much richer in details and drawing in on our feelings. I did like the movie but as expected, it cut out parts of the book although it covered the jest of the book all the same. I hope that made sense. I'd recommend that you see the movie.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, December 19, 2011 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Eggie! I might just do that since you recommend it! I so hate when the movie loses the "juice" of the book -

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Happened to notice in the credits -- Nate Berkus was an executive producer. How'd that happen?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 06, 2012 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I wondered that too so I went and looked...he read the book before it was published and thought it should be made into a movie, and then when it was published he was contacted by some people from Jackson, MS who were friends of his that wanted to make this movie so he got involved. It is his first foray into the movie world.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Roxip.

Rslover

11-19-2002

Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
Critics' Choice Awards:
Viola Davis - Best actress
Octavia Spencer - Best supporting actress

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Both actresses looked beautiful at the Golden Globes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: