TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 30, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 30, 2011 users admin

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
we saw Sanctum...not worth the imax price. horrible acting

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Lycanthrope, I agree with you on "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest." I didn't get what all the fuss was about after seeing the first in the trilogy, but I enjoyed each successive one more than the one before it so coming up on this last one I thought it was indeed a satisfying end. Will be interested to see the upcoming US version.

I rented on Amazon this weekend the film "Never Let Me Go", which was a thought provoking little indie with Keira Knightly, Carey Mulligan (An Education, Wall Street 2) and Andrew Garfield (The Social Network). I knew virtually nothing about this film but had heard one really positive comment about Andrew Garfield's performance so decided to check it out. It was not at all what I expected. I won't spoil it by sharing any details except to say it was a great film with great performances. It left me thinking. Check it out.

I also caught on Netflix "Prince of Persia, The Sands of Time," the Jake Gyllenhall (sp?) action adventure from last year. I'd avoided it before now because I was expecting it to be awful and I didn't want to tarnish my otherwise good opinion of Jake. But with little else to watch this weekend I finally went for it and I'm glad I did. As soon as I saw Ben Kingsley appear I knew it couldn't be all that bad and it wasn't. Got slightly hokey in one or two spots, but otherwise was good, clean entertainment.

Last, I posted in the Documentary Fans thread but it bears a mention here -- up for the Academy Award for best documentary feature this year is a little film called "Exit Through The Gift Shop." I had no idea what it was about other than the underground world of street art, whatever that is, but just decided to go with it. What a wonderful surprise. The story has interesting and unexpected twists and turns and is told in a way that made me want to keep watching to find out where it was going and what was going to happen. Great little film -- amusing and enjoyable. I highly recommend it.

Enjoy!

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, February 14, 2011 - 7:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I finally went to go see The King's Speech yesterday. It is a very good movie (a little slow the first 30 minutes into it).

However, both my friend and I give a slight edge to Social Network as the better film.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 14, 2011 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My 13-year old and her friend went and saw the Bieber movie...they loved it...and they weren't Bieber fans (until now...I shudder to think what they are going to download at this point!).

Bandit

07-29-2001

Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bandit a private message Print Post    
The King's Speech was just wonderful! Beautifully acted by all, and very funny in parts. I agree Colin Firth is deserving of every award he gets for this film.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, February 18, 2011 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Bandit, I agree that Colin Firth will probably win for his role in King's Speech, but my money is on Social Network for best movie.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
We just finished watching "John Adams", the HBO mini-series. That last hour was gut-wrenching, but boy was the series good (despite historical inaccuracies). We were both riveted. Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney were absolutely stellar. Highly recommend.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Been meaning to watch that.Was it on HBO currently or was it a DVD you bought? Someone else here,maybe Tishala? gave it good reviews back when it first aired.Love history related movies and books.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I was at the library and saw the DVD on the racks, Lakecat. I checked it out for free!! (It is sad how much I love "free", did I mention that I watched it for free? Except not entirely because of taxes and whatnot, but it's nice to be able to see my tax dollars at work keeping me entertained LOL).

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Grey Gardens, the HBO movie with Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore. Excellent film. I was afraid it would be depressing, but it wasn't. Jessica and Drew both turned in top notch performances.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 4:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I really liked Grey Gardens too.

Mictay

09-29-2006

Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
I thought I had come and shared but can't find it,I watched For Colored Girls a couple of weeks ago,I loved it,Tyler Perrys best film.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I recommend "Young Victoria." Romantic, sweet, perfectly cast. I hope it is a role that Emily Blunt returns to several times during her career, like Cate Blanchett has with Elizabeth I.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
We saw The Adjustment Bureau yesterday.

Pretty good, certainly the romance holds your attention, but it ends in a way that feels it's a bit rushed. I'd say it's a maybe to see at the cinema and a definite to see on dvd.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed the ride of Adjustment Bureau and would agree -- don't expect to be wowed by the ending.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, March 14, 2011 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Just saw the Adjustment Bureau. It wasn't what I was expecting, guess I thought it was going to be more of an action thriller and not as thoughtfull as it was. Enjoyed it. One thing bothered me though:

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Did I understand incorrectly or did they imply that David's father and brother were *adjusted* to die so that David would be more motivated to strive for the White House?

Thought that revelation was glossed over with less reaction from David than one would expect. Maybe by that point he was numb. LOL

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 14, 2011 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
regarding adjustment bureau
Spoiler
I can't remember how the father died -- do we know? I took it to mean that his father and brother's paths were also planned and set, as are everyone's paths -- his brother's path was to OD, his father's was to endure whatever heartache -- both motivators for David. Whether those plans were adjusted or not I don't know, but they were the plans sent down by the man in charge.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, March 14, 2011 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Thanks Brenda. I don't know either. Have a feeling it was rolled into the newsclippings/newscasts they showed at the beginning and I just missed it.

Spoiler
David asked about his mother and was told her death was just the way it was supposed to be, they had nothing to do with it leading to the conclusion that it was a different case with the dad/bro. I think it was a flaw in the film that David has next to no reaction to finding this out.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed Limitless. One of the best and most entertaining movies I've seen in a long long time.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Bradley was great in that movie. I loved the way they filmed certain scenes. Sometimes his eyes were like the drops of water, soooo crystal clear blue

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Monday, March 28, 2011 - 2:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
It's really amazing how far Bradley Cooper has come since Alias. I always liked him and I'm glad he's becoming an "A-Lister".

Pamy

01-02-2002

Monday, March 28, 2011 - 5:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
me too!!!! sigh...Alias how I miss that show :-)

Happymom

01-20-2003

Monday, March 28, 2011 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I really wasn't prepared to like him. I've only ever seen him as the grinning, comedy or romantic comedy type. For me, he was on the edge of going the (for me) Matthew McConaghy / Tom Cruise route of annoying me. (Both those two really annoy me now even though I liked them at first. At least Tom is such a good actor that I can forget about my annoyance when he is in character.) I was quite surprised that Bradley did not slip over my edge...I wasn't annoyed at all and thought he did a great job with the role. It was nice to see there was more depth to it than the previous roles I've seen him in.

Here's another recommendation: wait to see Paul on dvd. It was just ok. I don't agree with the high ratings it got on imdb at all.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Monday, March 28, 2011 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I knew him from Alias first, which was a dramatic role. So I was opposite when i saw him in comedies.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 12:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Same here, Pamy.

He did a dual interview with DeNiro on Jimmy Fallon's show last week, and it was pretty cool. Bradley kept deferring to DeNiro, but DeNiro kept deflecting things back to Bradley, and Bradley was articulate and very good in the interview. I've noticed that DeNiro really sucks at interviews, so it's a good thing he had Bradley to lean on. And to his credit, Bradley really seemed to respect DeNiro and look to him for approval of his answers.