TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 29, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 29, 2010 users admin

Holly

07-22-2001

Monday, February 08, 2010 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Thanks Teach!

Beckie03

07-05-2007

Friday, March 05, 2010 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beckie03 a private message Print Post    
Alice in Wonderland. A must see.

Only disappointing thing, well not really disappointing, but odd...was Anne Hathaway's character. I know it's Tim Burton and all...but it was just a lil too off for me.

That doesn't even ruin the movie...it's such a great movie and Johnny is Johnny and the best as always.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Just saw "Coraline" on tv. Great story. Reading the reviews, I discovered that it was shown in 3D in the theaters. Unlike "Avatar", this would great seen in either format.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Monday, March 08, 2010 - 4:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Here's a few I've liked recently:

In Bruges - (from 2009) Brendan Frasier, Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes. About a couple of British hitmen in hiding in Belgium after a botched hit. Great dialogue, beautiful scenery, nicely told story.

Zombieland - Woody Harrelson and Jessie Eisenberg, with a priceless cameo by Bill Murray. Clever, funny, laughs from start to finish. Pure zombie fun!

Moon - Sam Rockwell. Interesting sci-fi film about a guy in the final days of a three-year contract as the sole employee overseeing a lunar mining base. Rockwell was fantastic; the story was interesting; the direction and visuals were nicely done. I really enjoyed it.

The Informant! - Matt Damon, Melanie Lynskey, Scott Bakula. Based on the true story of a corporate whistleblower who works as an informant for the FBI. Interesting story and an awesome performance by Matt Damon.

Hurt Locker - Just won multiple awards, including oscar for best pic and best director. About guys who diffuse bombs in Iraq. Riveting.

Inglorious Basterds - Tarantino's most mature work. Incredible dialogue, beautifully orchestrated scenes, nicely acted (especially Christoph Waltz who won multiple awards including Oscar for best supporting actor).

Up In The Air - George Clooney, Vera Farmiga. Great performances, interesting story, nicely directed with enjoyable music. All around great film.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Monday, March 08, 2010 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks! I agree with your last 3 picks so will add your first few to my Netflix queue! (In Bruges is already in there) :-)

Beckie03

07-05-2007

Friday, March 19, 2010 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beckie03 a private message Print Post    
Finally saw Sherlock Holmes. I absolutely loved it. Became more attracted to Jude Law...but he has to stay looking like that, lol.

If you haven't seen it...you should.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
We saw Repo Men today, another one with Jude Law. It was a little slow in the middle but overall worthwhile. Pretty gory (medical procedures and killings) but not slasher-gory.

Beckie03

07-05-2007

Monday, April 05, 2010 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beckie03 a private message Print Post    
absolutely hated "men who stare at goats". i knew it was going to be a quirky type of film, but it was nothing like i expected. I wish I hadn't bothered with it.

Mictay

09-29-2006

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
Remember Me,loved it,maybe not for everyone but I really liked it.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Here's a rec. of what NOT to see: Hot Tub Time Machine. I thought it would be good because it was rated highly on imdb...7.5/10 and because John Cusack is in it and I can't think of any movie I've seen of his that wasn't good.

I did laugh, but it was not a good movie and not even all that funny. It was stupid and I did not like it. I'd give it about 2.5 out of 10. I'm so sorry I wasted my money seeing it in the theater.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
We saw How to Train Your Dragon this weekend and I thought it was pretty wonderful. Really good voice acting (Craig Ferguson playing a Viking?! So what, he was funny.), the animation was spectacular, and the score was terrific.

Based on this being a Dreamworks movie and some of the annoying early ads, I was worried this would be crass and too self-aware, kinda like how the Shrek films can be. But it wasn't. We had some rude folks in the theater but when it got to the part where Hiccup befriends Toothless (who, as far as I'm concerned, is now one of the most memorable and endearing non-human characters in film history), the audience became transfixed. Everyone quieted down and really got into the movie.

I wanted to clap at the end.

½

P.S. The 3-D was good. When we saw Alice in Wonderland I kinda thought that, except for the fall down the rabbit hole, the 3-D there was pretty superfluous. But I liked that movie too although I'd had my doubts going in.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Calamity, I was just coming in to write about the movie! We went today and absolutely loved it. It's one of the sweetest kids' films I've seen in ages and doing daycare, I've seen a ton. We all did clap at the end. I loved Hiccup and Toothless. Their relationship was so sweet. Toothless reminded me of a big cat. And Hiccup was one of the best heroes in ages. All the kids in the audience were giggling and I admit, I got a bit teary-eyed. Great film! I loved it, my 24 year old daughter loved it and the kids all loved it. We did not see it in 3D and it was still really good. The flying scenes were great.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Mamie: Oh yes, it's really a film that can be enjoyed by all ages (although maybe some scenes are a bit intense for really young or sensitive kids). It's got a good story too, it's not just a cute kids' cartoon. Kind of a combination heroic fable, coming-of-age story, and family film with warmth, humor, and genuine wonder. And makes you think a bit too.

Toothless & Hiccup
Toothless

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I highly recommend "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" Enjoy :-)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Go see Toy Story 3, in 3D or 2D. Perfect movie for all ages!

Msbullwnkl

08-16-2005

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Msbullwnkl a private message Print Post    
I recommend "A-Team" if you are looking for a funny action movie, Bradley Cooper and Liam Neeson aren't half-bad eye candy either. Stay through the credits...

Kaili

08-31-2000

Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kaili a private message Print Post    
I watched "Book of Eli" last night. Wasn't sure I'd be into it, but I love Denzel and it ended up being a pretty good movie. I like the post-apocalyptic type movies though. I even liked "The Postman" and no one else seemed to. LOL

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Karate Kid!!!! surprised there isnt a thread for it. Dylan Bill and I really loved it. Jaden is one talented little boy

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Knight and Day-not exactly a mind bender but it is what Summer movies are all about,action,comedy and big movie stars.Id recommend it for a fun Summer movie, but dont expect a lot of substance.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Im looking forward to that one and Im not a Cruise fan.

We plan to see Grownups today, anyone see it yet?

Konamouse

07-16-2001

Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Knight and Day was a fun romp - expect laughs and good old action/adventure, suspend your disbelief, and just grin (like Tom's smile).

Double feature it with the A-Team, have a picnic with some cold beverages and you have good ole summer fun!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If you have trouble with Tom Cruise's craziness in real life, then the character he plays in Knight and Day is just like that, and you might have trouble getting into the movie for the first half - I know I did. But other than that, like Kona says, it's a fun enough romp.

Holly

07-22-2001

Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
No thanks, can't stomach Tom Cruise any more.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
We saw Grownups. It was ok, some LOL moments. My friend belly laughed way more than I did. My 14 yr old thought it was really funny too. For me I could see some of the jokes comming a mile away.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 5:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Saw Toy Story 3 last night. Probably the best Toy Story of the bunch.