TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 07, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 07, 2010 users admin

Rissa

03-20-2006

Friday, October 30, 2009 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
We just finished watching St. Trinians. British movie... Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, Gemma Arterton (Lost in Austen). Very off-beat comedy about a highly dysfunctional all-girls private boarding school. Very funny and probably the only role you will see Russell Brand in that you won't have to hide from your children. LOL Our 13 and 17 yr immediately ran upstairs to download the school chant on Itunes. Won't win an oscar but suitably diverting for teens and adults (rated PG).

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, October 30, 2009 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Anything with Colin Firth works for me :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just watched "Dean Spanley" (2008) on cable. To be honest with you, during the first 20 minutes or so, I had to hold myself back from just deleting it from the dvr without finishing it. Boy oh boy am I glad I stayed until the end. The best way I can describe this movie is "satisfying". I didn't feel ripped off for giving it my time. As a matter of a fact, I felt rewarded. I don't feel that way about most movies these days.

It's starts out as some kind of stuffy old England cliche type of movie, but turns into oh so much more.

Here is its IMDB info page
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135968/

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Wow, for once the critics agreed with me. I swear I never looked at reviews before this minute, and Rottentomatoes.com gave "Dean Spanley" 85%!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dean_spanley/

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Sherlock Holmes was excellent. Little bit of action but not too much, lots of wit, and Robert Downey Jr was a treat.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Kitt, how familiar are you with Holmes and all the insider type story information? I had heard that this movie has a lot of insider type details.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Not familiar at all! I recognised the street name and that was about it :-)

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks! Good to know you don't need that inside stuff to enjoy the movie. Downey Jr is such a talent.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Avatar isnt just a movie it's an experience. I swear I even felt like I was smelling the cool air from Pandora.

I watched the last hr with my mouth open and barely moved(I constantly have to readjust when sitting due to fibro) It was so unusual that Bill asked me twice if I was asleep! LOL

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Saw UP IN THE AIR yesterday and it was a very enjoyable movie. While I'm not a rabid George Clooney fan, he was born for that role, supported by a great cast, and thankfully the film was not as predictable as I had anticipated.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Pamydoll, Avatar is on my list, but thanks to your review, it's moved to the top of the list!!! :-)

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Cool!! Its complicated was on my dvd list but hearing some of the reviews in the thread about how funny it is may make it move up my list but I plan to see Avatar again before anything else! Thats how great that movie is!

Msbullwnkl

08-16-2005

Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Msbullwnkl a private message Print Post    
We went and saw "Up In the Air" last night, and it was great. I highly recommend it.

The other recommendation I have is "The Hurt Locker" now out on DVD and PPV. While the subject matter (Iraq war and IED disposal) is very heavy, it definitely gives you a small look at what our soldiers are doing over there.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm trying to get a hold of the Hurt Locker. It has a very long wait on Netflix. I may have to see if one of those Redbox's has it.

I liked Up in the Air too.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 2:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Brenda, I'm not one for watching movies on a computer screen, but maybe Netflix has it where it can instantly stream to your computer. (My current laptop is too old and our desktop stopped working long ago. I wanted to see if it would work and tried to watch the first ep. of 30Rock.) We are on that $9 plan and have unlimited instant viewing to 6 unique devices plus 1 at a time dvds in the mail.

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I got the Hurt Locker from Netflix. I'm not sure what to say about the film. It's not one of those that I can say "oh, I loved it!", but I can tell you it effected me deeply. It is very well done, compelling characters, really draws you into their world and left me feeling shaky afterward. It's not manipulative or melodramatic. I think it's really honest and raw. I think all of the praise this film is getting is well deserved.

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Monday, February 01, 2010 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
I have seen the Hurt Locker twice now. It was really good. I agree with Brenda1966 that it felt really honest and raw and I can't stop thinking about it.

Gidget

07-28-2002

Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
I slept thru much of Hurt Locker the first time... LOL it was 2am. Rented it again this week. I was intrigued when I learned it was directed by a woman. That just wasn't what I expected. Somehow she created an aura of suspense and tension without being the least bit obvious. Brilliant direction. I hope she wins.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
If a movie is listed as long wait on your Netflix queue and it's at the top are you stuck until you get it? How does that work? tia :-)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
When you're due to be sent a new dvd, they go down your list until they find one that is available and send you that. If all are on wait I'm not sure what they do.. I suspect they'll increase your priority in the queue for one of the dvds and you'll get one of the wait-listed dvds within a couple of days, but I don't know for sure.

A caveat on that is if all the discs in your queue are from a series. They didn't send anything to me once because my list contained only not yet released dvds and dvds from a tv show. One disc in the tv series was unavailable and (at least at the time) they will not send out later dvds of a series if you're waiting for an earlier one, ensuring you get them all in order. Then there literally can be none available and you'll get nothing until you put other dvds in your queue. Took me ages to sort that out - but that was in the days when Netflix's customer service was practically non-existent.

Holly

07-22-2001

Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Another question...

do you need anything other than downloading the 'silverlight' software in order to have movies directly to your computer? Is that download safe?

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Ketchup, if something has a "long wait" I always move it to the number 1 spot (my effort to be at the front of the line LOL). It does not prevent you from getting another movie.

I have found that sometimes it will say long wait and then 2 days later it's available. Doesn't always happen that way, but often does.

Kitt, did they fix the series distribution? In the past if you had 4 discs from a series and disc 1 was not available, they would send you disc 2. Lot of good that did because you'd just sit on it until you got disc one. Glad to hear they fixed that!

Brenda1966

07-03-2002

Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Gidget -- I agree. Really skilled filmmaking there. I'd be pleased if she won for directing or best pic.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 9:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
You don't need anything else, Holly, and yes it's safe. I've been watching Netflix on my computer since we got it last summer and have not had any problems at all.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Brenda it was years ago that that happened - so I don't know if it was what they did before they put it so they'd send you the next episode disc, or what they did because people were upset at getting disc 2 when they hadn't got disc 1.