TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 29, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through December 29, 2023 users admin

Egbok

07-13-2000

Thursday, July 27, 2023 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Tracey Hall Roberts. She continues to post with me on FB. Yes, very dry sense of humor and I love that about her. She always makes me laugh.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, July 27, 2023 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
yes it was Hippyt!!!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, July 29, 2023 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I had a Malibu Ken and donated it with some other stuff last Spring. I see now on EBay he’s worth $60, mostly bc he still had his swim trunks.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, July 29, 2023 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I used to collect and have over 500 dolls. I have the Malibu Barbies and Skipper but never had the Ken.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, October 03, 2023 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finally saw the Elvis movie last night on Prime. It was okay. Glad I didn't pay money for it.

Maris

03-27-2002

Saturday, November 18, 2023 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Movie now streaming on Netflix. Is amazing. Rustin

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, November 18, 2023 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Disney Wish is really good. Lots of cleverly disguised nods to classic movies

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, November 19, 2023 - 1:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I REALLY want to see WISH.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, November 20, 2023 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I finally watched Barbie, that’s 2 hrs I’ll never get back. I paid $5.99 for it so I forced myself to watch til the end.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, November 21, 2023 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Wow. Sorry to hear you didn't like it. It was very funny and moving to us. My college aged daughter could not stop crying. It brought out all the feels!

We are seeing Wish on Thursday. I hope it's good!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, November 21, 2023 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I loved Barbie!! America's speech at the end was so powerful.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, November 23, 2023 - 7:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Americas speech was the only thing I liked about it.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, November 23, 2023 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Her speech summed up the movie. Barbie thought she had changed the world and women were respected and successful like they were in Barbie land. In the real world she found out men rule the world and it is much harder for women to succeed. I honestly had not even thought about it but the speech hit me. It was so very true. I went into the movie expecting it to be totally camp, which is was but then it changed and I thought the message was powerful. I have seen it twice and get more out of it each time. So many little nuances that I missed the first time watching.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, November 23, 2023 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Same as Pamy. I’ve seen it twice and noticed more the second time than the first. Probably the only thing I didn’t like was Will Farrell.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, November 23, 2023 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Agree, I have never been a fan and those scenes were so forgetable.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven’t seen Barbie yet but my DD’s loved it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, December 17, 2023 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I’ve concluded I don’t like a lot of “camp”.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, December 17, 2023 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I’m still surprised that Mattel allowed the movie to be made, considering the company didn’t fare so well in the movie....
But, I guess, Mattel is laughing all the way to the bank.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, December 17, 2023 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, I was as well.

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, December 18, 2023 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen the movie but I was working at WB when the movie was premiering. They had those Barbie booths all over the lot and headquarters. Threw a big Barbie party. A lot of money and promotion went into the movie.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, December 27, 2023 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The Boys in the Boat
Based on a true story, I had seen a local PBS documentary about the UW crew team. I knew the story, knew what happened and yet, the storytelling and cinematography was so wonderful in this movie, I was still at the edge of my seat for a good portion of the movie. I cannot recommend this movie enough. Uplifting, inspiring and true. George Clooney did a masterful interpretation of the story.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, December 28, 2023 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Wonka
This afternoon, I saw Wonka and didn’t really know what to expect. I did know that it was a prequel, that was it. I’m not sure if I liked the story a lot or just so so. I lean somewhere in the middle.

First, Timothee Chalamet embodied the Wonka character. He can sing, dance, be charming… it was a nice bridge to Gene Wilder’s Wonka (which is still the Wonka Gold Standard to me). I’ve never seen him in anything before, but he embodies the character.

The story lost me a bit, it seemed a bit forced, at times, just didn’t flow to me the way I think a movie should. Maybe I was looking too hard for links to the original Wonka movie, who knows. I think if I saw it again, I might think differently.

Hugh Grant should always play an Uoompa Loompa. I giggled every time he was on the screen. He was wonderful in his normally curmudgeonly way.

Finally, stay for the beginning of the ending credits. That’s all I’ll say.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, December 28, 2023 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Wonka is such a beloved movie from my childhood that I wasnt sure about this. I hated Johnny Depp's remake.

Kooklie, ty for the review. I think I will wait until it streams. I agree Timothee seems great for this prequel and I do enjoy him.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, December 28, 2023 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I am looking forward to seeing Wonka’s origin story …and skipped the Johnny Depp remake….Gene Wilder was the golden ticket for the original film.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, December 29, 2023 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
It’s getting panned by my women’s group but all of us are of a particular age and anything past Gene Wilder is sacrilege