TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 26, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through July 26, 2023 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, March 19, 2023 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Watched A Man Called Otto last night. For my taste, it was the BEST thing I've seen Hanks in, in quite a while! I'd read A Man Called Ove, and loved it, but had no recollection of it.

Hated, loathed, and despised EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. I don't enjoy choppy pastiche surreal films. Because I like the cast, I stuck with it longer than I would have. Still fell asleep, and when I woke up, gave up on it entirely.

I should add that if I had a Nickle for everyone who said they hated it upon 1st viewing but finally 'got it and loved it' on 2nd viewing.... I'd still be broke, lol, but I have heard it a lot. Not willing to subject myself to it again, at this point in time.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 20, 2023 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw Everything in the theater back in May and I liked it a lot. It's definitely a film that requires full attention and because it is odd and doesn't always make sense, I think that is very hard to do at home whereas being in a theater means you are a captive audience. I laughed, I cried. It felt life affirming to me, although I couldn't give you a synopsis of what happened or what it's about.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, March 20, 2023 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I was SO excited to see A Man Called Otto! I was lucky enough to see A Man Called Uve in an indie theater when it first came out (after devouring the book in a single sitting). Otto lived up to the original for sure!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, July 05, 2023 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I saw Asteroid City yesterday. It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, although I liked it. If you know Wes Anderson movies, you know that they are weird and often, you have no idea what’s happening. In parts of the movie it was like that for me. It took mope awhile to figure out what they were doing. However, the movie was so different than anything I’ve ever seen, I’m still thinking about it.
One of the things I really enjoyed was the aesthetic of the movie. It was shot on Kodak film with a very cool look to the color of the movie (or was it a movie?). It felt like movies of old in its look. As someone who does a bit of photography, I could’ve looked at the color and scene staging in the movie forever. Anyway, you may or may not like it is all I can say about.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, July 05, 2023 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Wes Anderson is an acquired and specific taste. I have not seen this one yet, but Moonrise Kingdom is a favorite. Thanks for the review!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, July 05, 2023 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
We loved the new Indian Jones movie. It was a fun ride.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, July 06, 2023 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’m sorry to hear it’s not getting better box office results. It sounds great!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, July 23, 2023 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I saw Oppenheimer today. It’s a very good movie. However, be forewarned that, I think, there are a couple of gratuitous sex scenes that really were not necessary to the story. I need to do some reading on Oppenheimer to see how true the story was.

Acting kudos to Cillian Murphy, who will definitely get a guest actor nod, and RDJ, who should get a supporting actor nod.

Having said all that, it was great to see so many people in the theater either seeing Oppenheimer or Barbie. I went to an early show (3 hr movie). While leaving, there were crowds of people coming in. Haven’t seen that since pre pandemic. I’ll probably see Barbie tomorrow.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, July 23, 2023 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw Oppenheimer too. I didn't consider the sex scenes gratuitous, but felt it didn't need that much nudity, but the director said he felt the nudity in one key scene was necessary as it showed how 'exposed' he was. Yes, this is the kind of film that really makes you want to google and learn more about it. So, yes, do google as you will learn one important postscript. All indications are it's very true to the book and real life and not a lot of artistic liberties taken. It's a solid film and I agree about the oscar nods.

And I'm seeing Barbie tomorrow too!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, July 23, 2023 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I guess I could see that as interpreted at Oppenheimer was exposed, but I just didn’t get that upon viewing.

I did google and was a bit surprised as to how accurate the movie was to actual events. Normally, liberties are taken, but not much with this movie. Not sure what the important postscript you are referring to, but did find out some interesting details, including one related to his daughter.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
https://www.npr.org/2022/12/17/1143896431/j-robert-oppenheimer-security-clearance

I posted an article that I thought was an interesting PS for Oppenheimer.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, I saw that one too.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Barbie… just a fun ride. Not everyone will like it though. I found it to be funny and insightful. It did take a turn toward the end that was a bit off for me, but it’s just a movie like it’s just a doll. While Margot Robbie was good, I thought Ryan Gosling stole the show. Loved the credits showing the various Barbie’s, Ken’s, Skipper, Alan and all those Mattel dolls that did not make it.

I never had a Ken doll. Just 2 bubble haired Barbies that I bought myself. My Barbie story is that, one Christmas, both my sisters got a Barbie…. One sister opened hers, then my sister who was a year older got one. I kept waiting to open mine because, my parents usually got us all the same thing. But, all I got was a stupid baby doll instead because my mom thought was too young for a Barbie! I cried and cried, but I learned that if I really wanted something, I had to figure out a way to make it happen myself whether it was a doll, car, vacation or a career. That lesson has stayed with me my entire life.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Lessons from Barbie!

I liked the movie. I find it funny that the amazing opening sequence was lost on most of the younger movie goers. I love the look of the film. And boy did it have the *feels*. I cried multiple times!

I did have a Ken doll. He was a brunette "Mod Hair Ken" and he had little adhesive beards and side burns you could put on his face (think 70's). I didn't play with Barbie much as I was a Tuesday Taylor and Sunshine Family kid. But my first Barbie was the brunette one. My sister had the "grow up skipper" doll. Yes, she was a real doll.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I loved Barbie! I collect and have about 500 dolls. There were so many Barbies in the movie that I have. I kind of wanted it to stay really camp and light the whole way through but the message is true. My fav was Alan!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Brenda, that is the only Ken I had before that I had a GI Joe that a guy down the street gave to me. My Barbies liked him better

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Today, a Monday, I saw multiple generations of women at the movie. So, for those who think Barbie is just a children’s movie, they are way off base. I think the reason the Barbie movie is so successful is because most women, at least in the US, played with a Barbie at some point in time growing up. My Barbie era was before the Dream House, car, etc. I had 2 Barbies, some furniture, but that was about it. My niece, on the other hand, had about 30 Barbies and Houses, etc of all shapes and sizes. She’s now in her 40’s. Barbie is way too entrenched in women’s lives to not have been successful as a movie. Most women, at any age, relate to playing with Barbie growing up.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Kookliebird, I love your disclosure of a life lesson Barbie taught you. Barbie had not appeared on the scene when I was old enough to get my last doll from Santa at Christmas. I was 11, but I had an early birthday after Christmas, So I am not sure if I was 10, almost 11, or 11, almost 12, because almost 12 seems kind of old for getting a doll.

Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Okay, so who here has a saved copy of one of the first ever memes in message board history, and it was either created here or shared here, and it involved Pamy and probably SquaredSC and somebody else, and they were all Barbies in a convertible, and one of them was being run over? SpongeBob2112 "might" have been the creator?

Y'all do realize we may be one of the longest running freestanding message boards in internet history with more than a handful of remaining members? Hello, Guinness World Records. Betcha SpongeBob2112 and others here could look into that.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL that was Tracey (forget her tvch name) she posed her daughter's dolls LOL She and Square were running me over. It pops up in my facebook memories once a year. I dont know how to find the pic

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I loved that pic!!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have always loved that picture. Somebody here will know how to find it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, July 26, 2023 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I would love to see that pic!
Also would love to see pics of your 500 doll collection Pamy!

Vsmart

02-09-2003

Wednesday, July 26, 2023 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
I never played with dolls. My favorite toy was an Erector Set. Both my father and my husband believe that women should use their brains, not their beauty to be successful. Since DH is not handy at all, he lets me do all the repairs and assembling of furniture.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, July 26, 2023 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oh, Tracey! Yes, maybe her name here was Hippyt? I was with her more on another board and that was her name there. Daughter Amanda! I am friends with her on Facebook, can't remember her last name right now. Very dry sense of humor.