TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 19, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through March 19, 2023 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 03, 2023 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Avatar is top of my must-see list Pamy! Can't wait!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 03, 2023 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Saw The Fablemans. It had great moments towards the end. But otherwise I found it disappointing.

Saw Matilda: The Musical. Too dark for my taste, and surprisingly triggering for me, so I found myself awash in bad memories and sobbing a lot. And very glad I was watching it alone at home, and not in a movie theatre surroundedby other people!

On a more objective note, I found it reminiscent of Annie and Willy Wonka. I enjoyed many of the musical numbers and although I'm not an Emma Thompson fan, she was outstanding, as was the little girl and her teacher.

If you don't have emotional childhood baggage, you'll probably love it. šŸ˜‰

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, January 03, 2023 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I watched The Menu and it had such potential but it fizzled for me

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Saw Megan. It wasn't really a horror movie like Chucky. More of a psych thriller I enjoyed it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am really looking forward to seeing Women Talking. It is due for wide release on January 20, 2023. It looks fascinating to me. Many talented people involved.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The Menu was just okay for me. I found parts of it amusing, but I think it kind of missed the mark overall.

I would like to see Women Talking too.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, January 15, 2023 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I havenā€™t heard of any of these movies except for Avatar which isnā€™t my genre. Iā€™ve all but stopped watching anything new bc everything is some kind of cultural lessonā€¦so tired of being lectured to, I want to be entertained. Most of these suggestions seem promising, I really need to get back to film watching. I donā€™t even know who half the up and coming stars are anymore. I watch a little Golden Globes and did not know half the ppl. I did enjoy seeing several women my age win awards which is refreshing.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, January 15, 2023 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I'm a Tom Hanks fan and I look forward to seeing his newest movie, "A Man Called Otto". It's based on the novel "A Man Called Ove", which I enjoyed reading a few years ago.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, January 19, 2023 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
A Man Called Otto was good. I am a fan of the book and the Swedish movie.

I have tickets for my sister and I to see Women Talking on Saturday and am really looking forward to it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, January 20, 2023 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I was wondering if A Man Called Otto was the American version of a Man Called Ove. Now I REALLY want to see it! I adored the book (read it in one night) and had the great privilege of seeing the movie when it was first released on the big screen.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, January 20, 2023 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
II need to read the premise on Otto,I have no idea. My husbands doctor is named Otto and heā€™s probably the worst doctor Iā€™ve ever encountered so I had a negative vibe about it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 21, 2023 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I liked Women Talking. A talented cast portraying interesting characters. I was surprised there was so little of the Frances McDormand character, completely appropriate to the story mind you, just expected that actress to have a bigger part.

I am a fan of seeing actors play different roles vs being pigeonholed in the same old same old part. Granted, actual talent helps and this cast has talent aplenty. All the women gave great performances and Ben Whishaw deserves many accolades for yet another outstanding performance to add to his outstanding resume.

I did find it a bit odd that women who are so uneducated, sheltered and secluded had the vocabulary used, they were illiterate. They did not lack intelligence, but had no schooling and I think it improbable they would have or have been exposed to such lexicon.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 28, 2023 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Am halfway through The Banshees of Inisherin and not impressed. Overall, it is boring, which is ironic considering that the complaint of one character is that the other is dull. The only interesting character is Dominic played by Barry Keoghan. Mr. Keoghan has been nominated for an Academy Award along 3 other actors. Nods also Best Picture as well as other categories for a total of 9 nominations.

This may well be another film I don't understand the rave reviews or the many nominations.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, January 29, 2023 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I don't understand the rave reviews/nominations for The Banshees either. I tried to like it but just found it sad and ridiculous.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, January 29, 2023 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Well said Mak1. It was absolutely ridiculous.
Beautiful scenery, yes, talented actors, yes. That is where it ends. The story is basically missing. There is no character growth. I suspect there was supposed to be some sort of allegory with the war but don't think it was successful. The only redeeming bit of it was the sweet, funny and tragic Dominic.

I am quite the fan of art house, small independent type films, movies sans super heroes and explosions. Although I wasn't actually all that interested in seeingThe Banshees of Inisherin I was surprised at what a disappointment it was, a waste of time.
IMO, the only nomination it deserves is the one for Barry Keoghan.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, January 30, 2023 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I watched Banshees last night and I didn't dislike it like you both did. I liked it but it is not a feel good movie. It was depressing. Colin made me sad through the whole film. I cannot imagine living on an island where there isn't much to do or everyone knows your business. I think Colin deserved his nomination. Will I watch it again? Probably not but I liked it.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, January 31, 2023 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I did enjoy the scenery and the acting and sweet, tragic Dominic. I would have liked the story better without the parts about the fingers and the animal. :-(

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, February 04, 2023 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I liked The Menu, didnā€™t love it. The actors are what kept me interested. Judith Light sure didnā€™t have many lines, such a waste on such a good actress. John Legizamo,I could have done without him. He got political on me. I donā€™t like that I let that affect me, but it does. I donā€™t like to be lectured to or told that I am ā€˜less thanā€™ because I vote differently than they do. Youā€™re an actor not an activist, entertain me. Now Iā€™m hungry.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, February 05, 2023 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Judith Light is on the latest episode of Poker Face and she is fantastic!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, February 18, 2023 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Everything Everywhere All At Once. IMO would be more aptly titled Nothing, Scattered, Took Far Too Long.
I had hoped it would be clever and interesting instead I found it unnecessarily convoluted, dull and often using tacky tropes for humor. I'll never understand the Oscar nomination of Jamie Lee Curtis in this mess versus any 5 of the actors from Women Talking who all played far more interesting, fully developed characters with far greater talent.
I think the writer's room was designed hoping to prove that the Infinite Monkey Theorum would actually work and provide a great script. It did not.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, February 18, 2023 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sharper is a good Hitchcockian kind of film.

Maris

03-27-2002

Wednesday, March 15, 2023 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Popping in after the oscars.

Everything Everywhere, I do not get at all, the rave reviews. To me it was a second rate Tarrantino movie. It was boring dull.

Banshees - being Irish and very familiar with that part of Ireland, I thought the accents spot on, the characters were also spot on but what is the point of making a movie aboout two set in their ways characters who have a falling out. not Oscar worthy in my v iew.

Elvis - I really liked this movie and thought should have gotten awards.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 18, 2023 - 12:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I think one of the reasons The Oscars viewership is so low. No one can connect to the movies that are nominated anymore. Seems every movie is dark and complicated, boring or too artsy. We need to see more movies like Elvis and Top Gun get nominated, more blockbusters. I noticed a lot of the actors said they loved the movie Everywhereā€¦ but I havenā€™t heard a single avg everyday person say they liked it.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Saturday, March 18, 2023 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
My 12 year old son absolutely loved every second of Everything Everywhere All at Once. And thought the ā€œvillainā€ Stephanie Hsu should have won over Jamie Lee Curtis. I throughly enjoyed it too- laughing through most of it and loving hearing Key Hu Quanā€™s voice again plus Michelle yeoh is great at everything she is in

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, March 19, 2023 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Iā€™ve watched about an hour of it and now that itā€™s won best picture Iā€™m going to try again (starting at the beginning).

Comments and reviews about this movie are so contradictory. People either seem to love it or just donā€™t like it at all.