TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 03, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through January 03, 2023 users admin

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Sunday, March 13, 2022 - 11:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
I tried to read Dune. I couldn’t.
I tried to watch the 1984 film. I couldn’t.
I tried to watch the remake. I couldn’t.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, March 14, 2022 - 4:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm with Weinermr. The book started out good, but it became unreadable to me. I went with my friends, who were into the book, only because Sting was in it. I don't think any of us liked the movie. Not going to bother with the remake.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, March 19, 2022 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Watching Don't Look Up right now and find it to be meh.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, March 19, 2022 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Didn't care for Don't Look Up. I think it fell short of the satire it was trying to be. There were a few funny bits but came away thinking there's a couple hours wasted.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 19, 2022 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah Sugar, it was so irritatingly stupid. Waste of a talented cast.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, March 20, 2022 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Me and my college student daughter both like Don't look Up quite a lot. It's not best pic imo, but really liked it.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I thought I'd love Licorice Pizza and didn't (although it was fine I suppose).
I thought I'd hate another version of Macbeth and I loved it. It was absolutely shocking visually, one of my favorite cinematographic things I've seen in years (I say, forgetting briefly how astonishing I found the ascetic cinematography of Nomadland).
I said that of all the films that didn't need to be remade, I'd put West Side Story at the top of that list. I was wrong (Spielberg did some great and some very self-consciously "look at me" type direction).
I hadn't seen a Jane Campion film since she disappointed me with Portrait of a Lady--Henry James novels are essentially un-filmable--but Power of the Dog was beautifully subtle and I plan to watch it again if I ever get the time.

Unfortunately the only Oscar nominated documentaries I saw this wear were "Flee" and "Summer of Soul." Both were phenomenal.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, March 26, 2022 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We just watched Belfast and quite liked it. It is my favorite of the Best Picture nominees I have seen.

I doubt I will manage to see all the nominees prior to the Oscar awards tomorrow night.

This is the first time in many years that I have seen so few of the movies and am a bit ambivalent about it all. That makes me a bit sad. I miss the AMC Oscar Showcase despite not being overly excited about a lot of the movies and performances this year.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, March 26, 2022 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
JJust saw Lost City.. dont waste your money. This was a Hulu movie at best.. The only thing that half way saved it was I love the actors. There were a few fun moments but it was no Romancing the Stone

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, March 26, 2022 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I was thinking The Lost City was probably one of those movies that showed the best/funniest bits in the trailer. Thanks for the warning.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We are watching West Side Story right now and are not overly impressed. It's OK, just nothing special.

I like a lot of the music but have never been particularly fond of the musical.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I felt the same. So much has changed over the years, the story just didn’t hit right with me. The music was good. And, I was impressed with the actors who portrayed Riff and Anita.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We just returned from seeing, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. It was mildly amusing, not as funny as I hoped it would be.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 29, 2022 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The One I Love is on tubi tv

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, August 16, 2022 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Mrs. Harris Goes To Paris was a charming little film. I am a Lesley Manville fan.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, August 31, 2022 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We saw "Nope" last night and it was so good! It's another horror movie by Jordan Peele who made "Get Out". Its about Aliens landing on a horse training farm run by a brother and sister. It's scary, but it also has some funny stuff in it.

Keke Palmer and Daniel Kaluuya are the brother sister, and it also has Steven Yeun from "The Walking Dead".

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 04, 2022 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
We watched The Greatest Beer Run Ever yesterday and really enjoyed it. Such a crazy story to be true. And does Zac Efron ever look bad?

Maris

03-27-2002

Wednesday, October 05, 2022 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mamie for the recommendation, I watched it today and it was a really good movie

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, October 27, 2022 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
See How They Run was a fun evening at the movies. Saoirse Ronan and Sam Rockwell head a nice cast playing a constable and inspector investigating a murder at a theatre of a very popular play that some want to see made into a movie and some do not.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, November 04, 2022 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just watched The Weird Al Yankovic Story on the Roku channel. It starred Daniel Radcliffe as Al. He did pretty good. Not quite a real documentary. Had some funny moments.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, November 13, 2022 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl, some funny moments and great cameos.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, November 20, 2022 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed Wakanda Forever. The silence in the theater during some scenes was so moving.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, November 24, 2022 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
The Menu both is and isn't exactly what you think it will be. A dark comedy with some quite amusing bits. We enjoyed it.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, December 24, 2022 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Avatar was really good. I am surprised more people arent talking about it

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, January 03, 2023 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Menu is on HBO MAX now so I will have to watch it.