TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 13, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through March 13, 2022 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, February 11, 2022 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well I'm in Canada (as is Rissa) so .... I don't think we get it.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, February 11, 2022 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, we can rent it through Apple and through the cineplex app.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, February 11, 2022 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's good it's available at least that way.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Just finished House of Gucci. Not as bowled over by the movie as I thought I would be. Haven't seen any of the other movies (and acting) up for Oscars, but kinda not surprised this one didn't get any nominations.

Maris

03-27-2002

Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Belfast is a really good movie.

Being Irish, I recognize those kids and even though I was in the south I remember those times. I remember RTE the tv station was across the field at the back of our house and we woke up in the middle of the night to it being bombed. There was this innocent time but accented by the occasional bombs down south. Nelson's pillar that was a favorite of kids to go up on a Saturday was also bombed.

In the early eighties, I went to visit my sister in Dublin. I lived in NY. She wanted to visit a new mall in Belfast before it was bombed, That was a thing, malls were bombed during the holidays, after hours usually. I was like ok, there is a Laura Ashley store there, I am game.

So we drive up from Dublin, my sister in her car with Dublin plates, me her American sister with an American passport. We get lost in Belfast. Back in those days, the corner of the curbs were painted according to what neighborhood you were in. green/white/gold was a catholic neighborhood and blue white red was a protestant neighborhood.
We were in a blue white and red neighborhood. We weren't driving around a few minutes before a British tank came around corner, blocked us off and British solders with their rifles pointed at us stopped the car. I am freaking out and my sister says, I got this. So she starts flirting with these guys, explains I live in NY and we only want to shop. SO they let us go and I got the heck out of the north. I haven't been back since.

Maris

03-27-2002

Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I guess what enthralled me about Gucci was I had no idea sbout the back story. I had no idea bout the murders, the intrigue, the d rama. I just found it entertaining and I thought Lady GaGa did a great job.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Maris, the IRA, or what's left of them, are still running a lot of things in Northern Ireland. A friend of mine who grew up there, left, and went back was telling me about their local butcher. I think he'd borrowed money and couldn't pay it back, but anyway his punishment from the local IRA mafia, or whatever they want to call themselves now was a kneecapping in one knee. He was allowed to choose the time and have an ambulance at the end of the road waiting for him, to take him to the hospital. This was pre-covid so I'm guessing 2019 or 2018.

Barbaric people never stop being barbaric. I told him he should come back, but his partner is a teacher and loves her school.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Wow Maris, I appreciate you sharing your story. You too Kitt.

I saw Belfast too and it's a lovely film. The little boy does such a great job. I enjoy slice of life movies that show us a bit of real life and history.

Maris

03-27-2002

Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
It is a slice of life Branda. I primarily grew up in NY but we went to Ireland from June to September as soon as school let out. We visited my grndparents on my father's side who were working class (mothers side had more land). We looked forward to going to the field at the end of the road where there was a swing. Imagine. being excited to use an old sswing because you share the field with cows. It was magical, swinging on a swing while cows ate grass around you. simpler times.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, February 13, 2022 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Maris, a month or two ago ABC aired a documentary about the whole Gucci story so seeing the story in the movie was no surprise. IIRC at time only promo clips from the movie had been seen. And again IIRC there was nothing in the documentary about how Patrizia and Mauritzio met. That was interesting in the movie though maybe some artistic license was taken re that. If I hadn't seen the documentary quite possibly I would have been more taken with the movie.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 15, 2022 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I just saw Jane Campion’s Power of the Dog with Benedict Cumberbatch. Interesting movie. Visually stunning. BC and Kirsten Dunst were outstanding. Having said that, the movie seemed slow to me at times, except when BC was on the screen. I recall that same feeling the movie was slow when seeing Campion’s The Piano. Regarding the plot, I kinda figured out what was going to happen before the ending, which was fine. It helped me to follow a bit better than if I hadn’t. Anyway, it’s worth seeing Benedict Cumberbatch playing against type. Different than anything I’ve ever seen him in.. he is very very good. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins an Oscar, he was that good.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, February 16, 2022 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw this film too and your description is spot on. It is SO SLOW! I felt there was payoff at the end, but boy did it take a long time to get there. It's a very subtle and quiet film and the cinematography is stunning, but I can't say I recommend it to the casual movie viewer.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, February 16, 2022 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Exactly… I just wanted to see it because I heard about the Benedict Cumberbatch performance.
Next up, I’m going to try to see Belfast, after seeing the discussion above.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, February 16, 2022 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I finally watched "Marry Me" and it wasn't very good. Owen Wilson didn't get to do what he does best (be funny), and Je-Lo sang too much. I thought it was supposed to be a rom-com, but they left the com out.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, February 17, 2022 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Left the com out, very funny Naja. I wasn't really interested in this movie and will definitely give it a pass.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I just saw Belfast. Wow. Excellent movie. Of the 4 best picture nominees I’ve seen, this is the one that I’m thinking about most. Maybe it’s because of the times we are in, I’m not sure. But, I thought it was excellent.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, February 26, 2022 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Watching Nightmare Alley right now and not particularly liking it. To be fair I have not been paying as much attention as perhaps I should have but find it slow. Hubby says it is OK. I'm having a bad arthritis pain day so maybe I should try watching it again later. I'm not a Bradley Cooper fan but it does have quite the cast.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 27, 2022 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I thought Nightmare Alley was slow. And just meh overall. So not sure it's worth another go!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 27, 2022 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I agree, Nightmare Alley was meh. I'm not going to try to watch it again, I saw enough and will add it to my ever growing list of "How the Holy Heck did that movie/person get nominated for anything?"

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, March 07, 2022 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am adding Power of the Dogto the list of not particularly interesting or surprising movies. It was well done but nothing new to see. I can agree with Benedict Cumberbatch being nominated for an Oscar but not the movie, Jesse Plemmons or Kirsten Dunst.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 07, 2022 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I agree Sugar about Power of the Dog. It is SO SLOW. It has a payoff, but it really takes its time to get there!

Now I did really like The Batman. Maybe it's the "Twilight" effect. But I enjoyed Pattison in this role quite a lot.

Cyrano -- it was a bit of a disappointment. PArts of it are very pretty but the second half of the film is slow and I think a friend hyped up this film too much. I wasn't blown over by it. It's good, but not great.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, March 12, 2022 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We watched CODA this evening and quite liked it. It was well written, well acted and a good story.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, March 13, 2022 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I enjoyed CODA a lot too. It's fresh and funny and ultimately a feel good movie.

I tried to watch Dune. What a bore. I honestly felt like nothing was happening and yet I have no idea what was happening. And then it ended. Trying to make my way through all the best picture nominees. I have two left -- the Japanese film and the tennis film.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, March 13, 2022 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Dune does not appeal to me in the least. I think my husband liked it.

When I first heard about CODA, I thought it was a series, not a movie.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, March 13, 2022 - 11:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mercifully slept thru most of the Dune remake. 😁