TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 11, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through February 11, 2022 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, August 22, 2021 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Saw Billy Crystal's Here Today, costarring Tiffany Haddish, on Demand yesterday. Loved it! Hilarious, and stuffed full of poignant moments. It's about a comedy writer who has an extremely rare form of Dementia and his new best friend helping him come to grips with it. I laughed and cried in equal doses. It's now on my list of favourite films! Fun fact: A few celebrity cameos.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, August 23, 2021 - 3:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Watched Reminiscence starring Hugh Jackman this past Saturday. Luckily we got “free” through HBOMax and our regular HBO subscription. We really like Hugh Jackman but this movie was a real snoozer. It just drags on and on to the point the plot is hard to follow.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, August 24, 2021 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Good to know. While I enjoy positive recommendations, negative reviews are very helpful as well.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, September 05, 2021 - 5:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
My daughter and I just saw the Marvel movie "Shang-Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings". It was well written, lots of comedy and parts that pull at your heart strings. The visuals were amazing, definitely see it in theatre if you can. There are 2 more scenes during the credits, so stick around.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, September 05, 2021 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Miz, we are looking forward to it! TY for the tip to stay at the credits

We saw Free Guy, it was good. I love Ryan Reynolds

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Saw the latest Bond thriller No Time To Die and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh that's good news. My DD and I always enjoy the Bond movies.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, December 31, 2021 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just saw Licorice Pizza. I liked it, but think not everyone will. It’s a different sort of film. For me, it was a reminder of my youth.

Just a couple of things about the actors in it…Bradley Cooper and Sean Penn were the names that heard that were in the movie. But, if you watch the credits, you’ll find that Tim Conway Jr, Leo DiCaprio’s father and John C Reilly are also in it. The lead male actor is the son of Phillip Seymour Hoffman in his first acting role…. He is very good. The lead female actor is part of the Haim sister singing group….there’s also a nice surprise when you see the credits.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, January 01, 2022 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw Licorice Pizza too and I enjoyed it, but not as much as I would have hoped. (I like PT Anderson's early writing better -- Boogie Nights and Hard Eight). It's a small film, little indie flick. The atmosphere of it is to be admired and it does provide a fun look back at the 70's. People should know that Penn and Bradley are not in it much. I had no idea that was Hoffman's son!

Now I'm wondering what I missed in the credits as I watched them all! I was wondering if that was Leo's dad.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, January 01, 2022 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The girls family was her real life family. I wondered because I thought the sisters looked so much like her.

Pretty much everyone in the movie was friends of the writer and the story was based on a friend of his that was in Yours, Mine and Ours in the 60’s.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 03, 2022 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I am not familiar at all with the Haims. Yes, the casting felt very personal.

I'd like to know if they married in real life! I guess likely not or else we'd have an epilogue.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 03, 2022 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The writer said that the part of the story of the boy and girl was based on something he saw while either driving past a school or dropping his kids off. He wove that around his friend’s life story.
I had to google after seeing the movie.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, January 04, 2022 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
This is a recommendation NOT to waste your time watching The Lost Daughter.
I had been looking forward to seeing this film and was terribly disappointed. I find Olivia Colman and Jessie Buckley to be interesting actors but their talents could do nothing to salvage this mess of a movie. None of the characters are likable or particularly interesting. It moves like cold molasses and nothing ever really happens, or by the time it does, you just don't care. It is flat, meandering and dull.

I generally like small independent films and don't need explosions, spies or a crop of superheroes for a good movie but this movie needed something. Probably simply not to have been made. I simply fail to understand all the positive press and accolades associated with this mess. It deserves none of it, especially no Oscars, BAFTA'S, Screen Guild Awards, SAG's, etc.

Do yourself a favor, watch paint dry, grass grow or get that root canal instead of watching The Lost Daughter.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, January 04, 2022 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
OMG Sugar!!!! I so agree with you! I didn't get it at all...I watched it this past weekend, and made myself watch it all the way through, hoping somehow it would make sense at the end. But NOPE!

I second Sugar's recommendation to NOT waste your time!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, January 04, 2022 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Scooterrific, I came close to not finishing it, actually checked to see how much longer the torture would continue. As it was almost over, I made it to the end but should have stopped. Why continue with bad books or movies when there are so many good ones to read or watch?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 15, 2022 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We just starting watching Being the Ricardo's and, well not impressed.
Nicole Kidman seems really off as Lucy. She is out of cadence with Lucy's voice, manner of speaking, movements...
Maybe the movie will get better.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 15, 2022 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Being the Ricardo's is another miss. The overall story is dull and Kidman and Bardem just do not get a grasp of the characters.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, January 29, 2022 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just saw Encanto. What a beautifully done movie. The songs were very infectious. So much packed into the movie, I’ll probably need to see it again. I loved it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 29, 2022 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Kookliebird, we saw Encanto this very day as well. It was so pretty. I was amazed at the animation, the hair and clothing looked real.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, January 29, 2022 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
It was very real. I had a bit of an issue following who was who in the beginning, but quickly settled in. I had just discovered a local theater/pub/hotel that was showing it for only $5! Got to sit in comfy chairs!

Maris

03-27-2002

Wednesday, February 09, 2022 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Just watched the Gucci movie, incredible. I never knew the story of the House of Gucci, those people were crazy. Lady Gaga was great so was Adam Driver. Pacino was great but he was really just playing Pacino which I always enjoy. Really entertaining.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, February 11, 2022 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That Je-Lo movie with Owen Wilson "Marry Me" is on Peacock right now and in theatres. I'm watching it this afternoon. It looks so cute.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, February 11, 2022 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Naja, come back with a review please. Thinking about renting it tonight.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, February 11, 2022 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’m interested in hearing what you think as well. :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, February 11, 2022 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought everyone got peacock with their tv provider? Or is that just with xfinity/comcast?