TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 21, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through August 21, 2021 users admin

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Monday, January 20, 2020 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
Hi Pamy, yes I liked The Mandalorian a lot. I’m glad it’s a hit so there’ll be more episodes. They have a lot more to explain along the way. I haven’t been to the Star Wars at Disneyland yet.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, January 20, 2020 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Weinermr, you will love it!!! probably best to wait until the fall to go, I hear it is hard to get a boarding pass for the new ride since it just opened :-)

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, January 27, 2020 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We finally got around to watching Yesterday. I thought it was a lot of fun. It was great hearing all those Beatles songs again. Fun romantic comedy with a clever alternate universe twist (the Beatles never existed and only one unknown performer can remember them). LOL it gives him a bit of an edge to say the least. Good performances all around and good singing. Oh and a fun cameo by Ed Sheeran, as himself.

Don't watch the trailer. It gives away too much IMO (as most trailers seem to do now).

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
While not a recommendation yet, Lin Manuel announce that they made a movie of the stage version of Hamilton with the original Broadway cast that will be released this year. As someone who really wanted to see the original stage version, I can't wait for that movie to come out!

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I highly recommend Jojo Rabbit and Ford vs. Ferrari.

(I bought myself, my son and his girlfriend unlimited movie passes... Putting them to use!) :-)

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the tips Cass. My husband wants to see Ford and Ferrari.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I recommend seeing it in a theater... big screen, great sound... really adds to the experience.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I prefer to watch movies in theaters rather than at home. Love having the movie bigger than life.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
We aren’t much for going to the theater but the reclining,massaging seats and the adult milkshakes made by a local chocolatier,along with truffle butter popcorn make it easier. It’s harder on the pocketbook,but worth it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's expensive. I enjoy seeing movies in the theater that benefit from the big screen and sound. Usually big budget movies with special effects. I agree though that going to the theater is a fun experience.

However, since the advance of CGI, I've ironically been enjoying those types of movies less and less. In the old days when you saw a car jump a gap in a bridge or someone hanging onto the roof while it speeds down the road, you knew that someone actually did it. If you saw a scene with a beautiful location, you knew that they were really there. Now, so much of it is just created on computers.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Jojo Rabbit is excellent. I reluctantly went to see it and it is so good. It's funny and absurd and brilliantly witty, but also moving and sharp.

Ford V Ferrari has broad appeal. Good solid film.

I try to go to the first showing of the day, often just $6 to get in. Watching at home is just not the same as in the theater.

I did watch Joker at home. I was impressed. I didn't really want to see this one either, but it's good. It's not as dark as I thought it would be and some of the visuals are just mesmerizing.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I bought the Regal Unlimited Pass... it amounts to $18/month for unlimited movies. I need to see at least 2 movies/month to make it worth it... went 5 in January... plus I earn points for going and earn concessions.Really a sweet deal.

Brenda I know what you mean about Jojo Rabbit... my son tried to explain it to me and I couldn't believe it... the actor who portrays the kid is great... and I loved his friend. Really a great movie and original.

The actor who portrays Hitler is also the director and he was the director of Thor: Ragnarok.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, March 30, 2020 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
The Green Book. Loved it! Warning, the racism is hard to watch.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, June 11, 2021 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I just saw ‘In the heights’ in a real life movie theatre. I smiled, I cried and just thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was a good movie. I only wish I could’ve seen the actual play. Anthony Ramos is a star whose light is shining very bright right now. Some amazing performances.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
We enjoyed it a lot too. And it felt so good to be back in the theater!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, July 10, 2021 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Nobody ~ I went into it certain that I was not going to like it and ended up really enjoying it. It's a dark comedy and quite violent so I would not recommend it for anyone under 18.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 10, 2021 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Who doesn't like Bob Odenkirk? I have liked everything I've seen him in. And "Nobody" was great! :-) I never thought I'd see him doing action movies.

"After failing to fight for his family during a robbery, an unassuming father calls on skills from his hidden past to become a lethal vigilante blazing a wild ride to revenge."

https://www.amazon.com/Nobody-Bob-Odenkirk/dp/B09238VQ81

eta: Kappy, I'm not sure how you think it's a black comedy. It's crime/action.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, July 10, 2021 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Lol. Naja, I would call it a dark comedy/action/thriller as well. Had more laugh out loud moments then half the comedies I have seen lately. I agree with both of you, really good movie, highly recommend.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 10, 2021 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here is how I see it. Think of "Die Hard" or "Lethal Weapon" and similar movies. They have a lot(!) of laugh out loud moments, but they're not dark comedy.

I think of dark comedy as things like Fargo or Pulp Fiction. I suppose others can have a different idea about it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 12, 2021 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I liked Nobody a lot too and I'd categorize it as action/dark comedy. Love Odenkirk. He's just so funny in a dark comedic way.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, July 12, 2021 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We watched In the Heights and both thought it was ok. Not my favorite musical but much better than the disappointing LaLa Land from a few years ago. My crush, Lin Manuel Miranda is a very talented person.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, July 14, 2021 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Naja - When I find myself laughing at moments or things that are actually quite horrible, I think of it as dark humor/comedy. I have no idea what the actual definition is. And yes, it's definitely an action flick as well but so much more clever then I've seen in a long time. JMO

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, July 31, 2021 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I watched Pig with Nicholas Cage in the theater this afternoon. I’ll prelude that it will not be everybody’s cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. Very different than anything I’ve seen before. Some may have issues with the story.

Visually, I want to say it’s more artsy movie than anything, however, that’s probably a wrong analysis. I don’t know exactly what I mean, it just looks different to me. It was filmed in Portland in 2019 and I love seeing my city in movies. The cinematography was interesting to me, as the background always seemed to be blurry. That’s why I thought it was more artsy.

I love me a good Nicholas Cage movie. He’s gone off track in his over the top interpretation of characters in some of his prior movies, but this was perfectly understated IMO. May possibly be mentioned during Oscar consideration. The young guy with him was amazing to. I’ve never seen him in anything before. He may be a future star.

Fun fact… the bakery scene was filmed in the bakery just kitty corner from my condo building. According to the bakery’s Facebook page, the bakery was in 4 scenes, I only recognized the one. I remember when it was closed for filming. The bakery remodeled shortly after filming, so I’m thinking they were paid nicely for the use of their store.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, August 15, 2021 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I just saw Free Guy in the theatre. I have to say that it is the most imaginative and fun time at the movies than I have had in a long time. I’m sure gamers will relate to more than me, but I just had fun and laughed.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, August 21, 2021 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I was just coming here to say the same thing Kookliebird!
We just got home from watching Free Guy and it was a fun movie! We watched it in 3D and DBOX. My first experience with DBOX and it was so neat!! Really worked well with this movie!