TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 26, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: 2021 Oscars: Archive through April 26, 2021 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Tis Oscar day and here are my opinions on this years movies.

Best Picture:
The Father
One of the years better films. Well written and acted. Not exactly what I expected but quite thought provoking. Quite possibly Anthony Hopkins best work.

Sound of Metal
I didn't think I would like this one but I was wrong. Riz Ahmed is mesmerizing and I found myself drawn into the story. It is quietly heartbreaking and hopeful.

Nomadland
A slice of a different kind of life movie, not preachy but rather lovely in an unorthodox manner.
Frances McDormand delivers another stellar performance. I myself would hate this kind of a life but there was no pity, no ugliness to the nomads. Beautifully filmed.

Minari
The movie is well acted, well written and nicely filmed, I just found it a bit slow.

The Trial of the Chicago Seven
IMO, not worthy of a Best Picture nomination, seems more movie of the week fare. Overall, I found it a bit substandard despite the plethora of talent involved in the movie. How Sasha Baron Cohen scored a Best Supporting Actor nomination is a mystery.

Judas and the Black Messiah
Many a fine performance in this movie especially from the leads, Daniel Kaluuya & LaKeith Stanfield. I found it interesting as I didn't know this story but not sure I think it is a Best Picture.

Mank
Boring with a capital B. I fell asleep. I have no desire to even try watching it again.

Promising Young Woman
I really disliked this movie. I remember seeing the trailers for it last spring thinking it was a pass but then all the positive press and nominations lead me to watch with an open mind ready to be surprised and impressed. I tried to like or at least appreciate the movie but it simply doesn't deserve the accolades. It is derivative, the "surprise" ending not a surprise and Laverne Cox is likely the worst actress on the planet. The only positive I found in the movie was Jennifer Coolidge. It was great seeing her play a character different from what we generally see from her, an undetermined accent, over the top, badly dressed character. She does those parts with aplomb but it was nice to see something new. I hope casting directors take notice and let her shine in a variety of roles. I liked Emerald Fennell in Call the Midwife and generally prefer her acting to her writing. I tend to agree with the review by Dana Stevens in Slate.

At this point I would not be disappointed with a win for The Father, Nomadland or The Sound of Metal.

Regarding Best Actor, I hope Anthony Hopkins wins but also think the Riz Ahmed and Chadwick Boseman gave stellar performances this year.

I have not seen Andra Day in
The United States Vs Billie Holiday. Of the other four performances, I am rooting for Frances McDormand or Viola Davis who both gave captivating performances.

I sincerely hope that next year AMC will bring back the Best Picture showcase, I missed doing that this year.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I haven’t seen any of the movies this year.
Regina King looked amazing on the red carpet. She should be best dressed.
I do like the venue they chose. They should probably use the LA union Station for all Future Oscar events.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
What a difference a year makes. Last year I saw all but one of the nominees, and this year not a single one.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I think that is particularly true this year, fewer people have seen the nominated movies.
Viewing numbers for all the award shows have been dwindling for some years now and I will not be surprised if the Oscar show viewing this year is rather low indeed.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I really like the beginning with Regina King walking in. It was like a movie.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
So far most of the predictions seem to be holding true.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Soul is the only one I saw. :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have to say, that I'm not finding the show all that entertaining. :-(

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LMAO ... George Takei @GeorgeTakei
·
4m
People of color keep winning tonight. Has anyone checked on Tucker Carlson? His head may have exploded already.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Dipo, thanks for that, most amusing.

Karuuna, I find it disjointed and a bit dull. I cannot stand lil rey for some reason, I find him completely without talent. I would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than him.

I like the small setting but have found most of the presenters lacking. I am surprised at how long they are letting people talk which is nicer than rudely playing loud music over them but quite a few of them need to wrap it.

Is Angela Bassett the loveliest lady on the planet? I think she is supposed to be a nice person as well.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I liked the In Memoriam that it was just pictures of those who died and not the person singing so maybe they can adopt this method in future. I did think that some of the pictures were gone up and gone too quickly to read who they were and I am a fast reader.

Ack! My recording stopped mid Rita Moreno!!!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Seems we didn't miss but a minute. Things are out if order Best Picture is usually the last award.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yeah, Frances!
3rd Oscar

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yeah, Anthony! I do believe it was an excellent performance.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am also pleased that Nomadland won Best Picture.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Well, that was a shocker. I think the show was geared to have a big emotional moment with Best Actor and Chadwick Bozeman that just fell flat .

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I don't know that it fell flat but Mr. Bozeman was a favorite. I do think Mr. Hopkins gave a better performance with a more difficult role so am pleased he won. I also ranked Mr. Ahmed ahead of Mr. Bozeman in regards to complexity of the role and the performance. Another year with multiple good performances.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I agree, saving Best ACtor for last was an odd choice when it didn't go to Bozeman.

I saw the Best Pic films and I agree a lot with Sugar's opinions.

Sound of Metal -- I would never have picked this film to watch, but I found it so compelling. The way it uses sound is impactful. It deserves all of the recognition it's getting.

Trial of the Chicago 7 - easily the most main stream and accessible film. My teen and I both really liked this movie.

Nomadland is a quiet and moving film. Frances is always amazing. This film left me sad but hopeful.

Minari was dull to me. It was my least favorite of the 8, easily.

Promising Young Woman -- the ending was spoiled to me by a Bill Maher rant about the oscars :-( I still found it a dark and interesting take on things. It's a hard film to describe.

Mank -- this is a movie lover's film and I did enjoy it as a revisit of some of the history of hollywood. But I think it has limited overall appeal.

The Father - another film I would never have watched, but am glad I did. How they portrayed the confusion was quite effective.

Judas and the Black Messiah -- just a solid film deserving of recognition. Left me feeling sad and angry.

I also watch Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. I was expecting more musical, but it's a play and it feels like a play. Not one of my favorites.

I enjoyed the Oscars but I always do. I'm not sure the new format was a big hit. I do like seeing clips of the performances and hearing some of the music, and that was lacking. It seemed to move along at a better pace and I liked learning little tidbits about the people.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I also missed the clips and would much rather have seen those than listen to whoever was presenting ramble. I did not miss the poor jokes that presenters are often given so that was nice.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Torture. Root canal is probably more entertaining and exciting than this LAME production was. DH wanted to watch or I'd have given up early on. Not referring to the nominees or winners. Congrats to them. Just the utterly unexciting Academy Awards Show. Completely lackluster production. I do understand they were trying to 'make do' because of the pandemic, but the location, the tiny handful of people in the audience, it was as my mother used to say: Missing salt and pepper. A HUGE disappointment.

Yes it had some poignant, and fun moments, but overall, felt like a waste of my time. Boring! Hopefully the pandemic will be over by this time next year, with most vaccinated, and healthy. And back to the entertaining format I know and love.

They could have had it in the same place as always, with half or 1/3 attendance, spaced out in the audience, and wearing masks until they got up on stage. Or somesuch.

It's supposed to be the annual crowning glory celebration of Show Business. It was dull. All business... no show. :-(

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
"Missing salt and pepper"
That is so funny Mame, thanks for the laugh.
Yes, it was a lackluster show.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ETA: I'm a hugh Questlove fan. But having a 'DJ club vibe' instead of the usual glittering theatrical aura complete with orchestra? Fitting perhaps for the Grammys or a Fuller Brush sales convention perhaps, but surely not the Oscar's.

Because of the stress and dreariness of life during a pandemic, I was craving the glitz and glam and pure escapist topnotch entertainment factor the Oscar's usually provides. Case in point Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's moving duet Shallow, 2 years ago.

Damned Covid-19!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, April 26, 2021 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I didn’t even remember it was on.

I did enjoy reading everyone’s posts (LOL probably more than I would have enjoyed the show anyway).

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Monday, April 26, 2021 - 6:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I can't even tune into these "awards" show any longer, they are nothing but political platforms. It's so sad :-(

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, April 26, 2021 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed the Oscar show. It was different, yes, but interesting to me to see some different sides of the actors. I thought the intros of the nominations brought a new dimension.

As I said previously, the initial shot of Regina King power walking in was fabulous. I love Questlove, he is always so chill. Adored the best supporting actress nominee. Wondered why Frances McDermont didn’t comb her hair. Glenn Close made me laugh. I felt the setting was like a fun dinner party, at times, similar to the Golden Globes, but less over the top.

My only complaint was for the camerawork when they introduced the nominees. It felt a bit jerky, like the cameraman was just panning tables, at times. Other than that, I enjoyed the Oscars.