TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 23, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through October 23, 2019 users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Mary Poppins Returns.... just saw tonight. A little darker than the original, but the singing just took me to a place of wonder and joy. wonderful surprises all along the way. The 2 hours went very quickly, I thought it had only been a few minutes, but it was already over an hour when I checked the time.

Don't try to compare it to the original.... it's a different movie. The guy who plays the father.... excellent. He and Lin Manuel stood out the most for me.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, December 21, 2018 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I watched the following two on DVD. Well worth the rental.

Searching ~ It's about a father searching for his missing 16 year old daugther. It's very different in that all you're seeing is a computer monitor or a phone screen as he checks text messages, emails, etc. You're basically seeing the story play out through 'facetime' images. I didn't think I would like it but it was a good thriller.

Crazy Rich Asians ~ SO FUN!!! Highly recommend!

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
I'm looking forward to seeing Mary Poppins Returns, hopefully on Christmas day. I saw the original in the theater as a child, and read the book.

As a side note, I liked the movie Saving Mr. Banks that came out 5 years ago. It's about the author of Mary Poppins (P.L. Travers played by Emma Thompson) and the making of the movie (Walt Disney played by Tom Hanks). It shows how personal the story was to her and her relationship with her father, and emphasizes how much Mary Poppins was as much a redemption story for Mr. Banks as anything.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Mary Poppins Returns is delightful! Perfect in every way!

And yes, Saving Mr. Banks was very good.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Weinermr, I loved that movie too! It was fun taking the Walt Disney studio tour and seeing some of the famous places from that movie.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just saw Vice. Christian Bale should win an Oscar for his performance. Talk about the embodiment of a character! Having said that, I thought the movie was good, but quite depressing cause it explains,to some degree, why we are where we are today in the world.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, my parents saw Vice yesterday and loved it. Said the same thing... shows the government corruption to the point of it being depressing..

Christian Bale is Amazing in anything he does.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
People have been encouraging me to see Green Book, but I've never heard of it and have no idea what it's about. Can anyone enlighten me?

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Kar, I saw it, you should go see it.

It's based on a true story about the friendship formed when an Italian from Brookyln (Or was it the Bronx?) who is a bouncer at the Cocoacobana, is hired to be the chauffeur/body guard for a famous black pianist from NYC, who wants to do a tour of the deep South for a few months. The pianist needs protection because it's the deep South and it was back in the Jim Crow days. The Italian guy is out of work because of renovations at the club and needs work, and he's on the brink that he could go down the path of getting involved with the mob because he needs money.

The green book was an actual book back then that listed all the safe restaurants and hotels that blacks could go to and be safe.

It started off a little slow for me and I fell asleep for a bit of it at the beginning, but that has nothing to do with the movie. It's rare when a don't fall asleep at the movies.

It's a nice, relaxing movie about the two of them, except the parts when they encounter racists and those parts are very tense. Like the videos of today when cops pull black people over and you don't know what the cop is going to do.

You really should go see it. Except for tense moments, the rest is about their friendship forming.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Grooch!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Nice review. Thanks for that!

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, January 04, 2019 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Alison. Viewable on Amazon Prime video.

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
The Upside. Also based on a true story. I really enjoyed it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 28, 2019 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Trying to get caught up on Oscar films...
Green Book -- very good. My teen enjoyed it a lot too.
Vice -- Clever story telling, interesting. Will leave you shaking your head.
Roma -- beautiful to look at but very slow and I'm not sure there's enough substance here to warrant over 2 hours and all of the award nominations.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I need some movies to watch. Greenbook it is. Vice, I get enough of Republican bashing from our reg news stations and Roma has sub titles.
What about The Wife or Can You Ever Forgive Me? Has anyone seen these two movies?

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I saw the Wife with a friend. She liked it and I wanted to get up and leave in the middle of it. Glenn Close did a wonderful job acting but I could not get into the actor who played the husband. Why would such an intelligent woman stay with such a schmuck? Maybe if he had some charisma I would have been able believe it. I was annoyed that she stayed with him all those years.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Have you seen the Dressmaker with Kate Winslet? It's an odd movie I liked it. And I haven't watched it yet but everyone I know liked Wonder Woman.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
No, I haven’t seen either. The premise of Dressmaker sounds good to me.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Where can I find it

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Do you have Amazon prime? It says you can watch for free with it. Otherwise you can rent it from them. I had borrowed it from the library.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I really must get Amazon Prime.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
You can get a 30 day free trial.

I used to have it when I ordered a lot on Amazon. Then I found out you can get free shipping if you order over a certain amount and I realized I hardly ever watched anything on it. It all starts to add up if you have Netflix, etc. But trying it out and seeing if there are things you like on it may be worth it.

I think I also got annoyed because things I wanted to watch weren't included with the prime. Yep. That really annoyed me.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Today I took my little daycare buddy to see 'To train a Dragon'...awe it was way cute' I even got tears in parts..
After, we played quite a few round of air hockey in the arcade.... What a really fun day.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sounds fun Chewi! ♡

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just watched the new live-action Lion King. I enjoyed it. I also love the original, too, though.