TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 28, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: Archive through September 28, 2017 users admin

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Nocturnal Animals (Tom ford's new film) is really good, not quite great.i loved his first film, A Single Man, and this doesn't disappoint. It's beautiful to look at, smart, and well-acted.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Arrival as well. As Kappy and Brenda said, definitely not action packed and minimal special effects but I agree that it makes you think.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, December 19, 2016 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Saw La La Land over the weekend. A real throwback to the movie musicals of old. While the singing is not as strong as in old musicals, the overall look and feel of the movie was wonderful. It was a charming film.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw it too. Charming and sweet. A little indie musical. Not for everyone of course, but nothing offensive in it. Thumbs up.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw Nocturnal Animals as well and it's very arty. It is good, but not quite mainstream. I agree with Tishala's assessment above. Thumbs up for it too, but I'd probably rank it below Manchester By the Sea and La La Land.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Since I have the day off, I think I will see Manchester by the Sea on Friday. Then, I will have seen all the movies that interest me this year.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
OMG Kookliebird bring tissues. We loved this movie but forgot the tissues. It was an excellent film and so well acted.

Also saw La La Land and loved that too, much happier.

About a week ago I saw Collateral Beauty. It was so sad, but I remembered tissues, the entire theater was openly crying. It was an ok movie very easy to figure out.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Nocturnal Animals bothered me a lot. It just left me with a queasy feeling. The intro was way too long.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Saw Passengers yesterday. It's a fun movie. The critics did not like it, but the ratings from the public were not bad. If you want a light sci-fi romance, this would hit the spot.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My DD's and I just saw Passengers. We thought it was very good and definitely a cut above the regular type of science fiction movie that is normally out there. Interesting premise (quite thought provoking), good actors, some humor and good special effects. Normally my views are fairly inline with the critics so I'm surprised that they didn't like it. Without giving anything away, there is one key aspect to the story that some viewers felt very strongly about and maybe that is why it got some bad reviews. It is receiving a lot of positive reviews from regular movie goers.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, December 30, 2016 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Wasn't really sure if I liked Manchester or not, but all night I kept thinking about it. So, I guess that makes for a good movie. Didn't cry though....

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Loved loved loved "The Arrival". I felt my mind was was twisted into a spaghetti mess that I was able actually sort out at the end. LOL

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Saw Passengers and while I agree somewhat with the critics in that it wasn't great, I still enjoyed it because I like the actors and because the premise was a new one.

I also saw Hidden Figures and was brought to tears more then once. Please don't let this current administration in DC return us to a similar existence. Tariji P Henson deserved an Oscar nod.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
I saw Hidden Fences and really enjoyed it.
Well acted and inspirational..sad, happy and exciting, all at the same time.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Monday, January 30, 2017 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Hidden Figures, not fences for above!

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, January 30, 2017 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I would like to recommend "American Pastoral". It was so freakin good.

It starts out in the 1950s when the football hero marries the beauty queen. They have a baby girl. When she hits her teens in the 60s and starts ties with protesting groups, what should be a perfect family is turned upside down from her activities.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
This week we saw Get Out. It was really good and very funny. Reminded us of Snakes on a Plane (that type of funny).

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Hidden Figures was a good inspiring movie. Who knew?

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Beauty and the Beast - Loved, loved, loved it! The cinematography was amazing and Emma Watson was perfectly cast as Belle. The movie made me laugh and cry and I look forward to seeing it again.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Beauty and the Beast was wonderful! So beautifully filmed and all the characters were great. It took a few minutes for me to not see Hermoine but that didn't last long. I am a huge fan of the original, I have a big collection of items, and I was not disappointed at all. I will be adding to my collection.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Happy to hear the great reviews!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I totally agree Mamie. Loved the film. It's my favorite animated film so I was worried they might ruin it, but it was lovely and had enough original material while still being faithful to the animated film. It's a must see.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thumbs up for Baby Driver. Cool and entertaining.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
Home Again with Reese Witherspoon

Quite liked it. Simple but sweet.

Really looking forward to Pitch Perfect 3, Bad Moms Christmas and Wonder..

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'm eagerly awaiting the new Murder On The Orient Express with Kenneth Branagh as Hucurle. The who-done-it is never in doubt when you've see all the predecessors but the new cast should be a hoot.