TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 29, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 29, 2015 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I saw two decent movies on Netflix. " Ask Me Anything" and " The Prize Winner Of Defiance Ohio". The latter starred Julianne Moore and Woody Harrelson.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I saw Julianne Moore in STILL ALICE last weekend. Amazing, haunting, memorable.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
We saw SAN ANDREAS yesterday. Ehhh. I was hoping it would be like "2012" was - completely unrealistic but fun to watch. However that movie had John Cusack who (IMHO) can raise any script, good or bad. The Rock, unfortunately, cannot do the same. I recommend waiting for it when it's free.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
Aloha - wow, maybe I was just expecting a lot but I thought it was pretty bad. Hard to follow story. Lots of great actors in it but so disappointing... although I did laugh.. AND cry!

Entourage - I haven't seen one episode of TV show but I thought the movie was decent. Lots of fun cameos.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Add my name to the list of folks who loved and/or were mesmerized by "Nightcrawler" - one of the most fascinating AND deeply disturbing films released in the recent past. It's become available on Netflix streaming - Seth and I saw it last night and were completely knocked out by Jake Gyllenhaal's performance. It's one you'll never forget. Just amazing acting!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Inside Out -- Another really wonderful movie from Pixar. Very moving. Had me nearly weeping. Especially relatable when you are parenting a teen that has struggled with emotions. Two thumbs up!

Spunky

10-07-2001

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Just seen Still Alice and now I understand why she won the Academy Award, one of her best performances, for sure.

I also saw Noah and I found it interesting, it was a spin that I didn't imagine but I admit quite possible. Great special effects! A movie to see.

A lot of the recent Oscar winners are not discussed on this board and there are quite a few good ones, like the one above, Still Alice.

I'm ready to watch Boyhood for which I don't see a thread and I've got a pile of last Oscar movies at the library but the waiting list is too long.

Can't wait to see The Theory of Everything, the Imitation Game and many more.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm sure you'll really enjoy Theory of Everything and the Immitation Game. Both are fantastic. Yes, Still Alice was very moving and a memorable performance. Not a film I'll soon forget.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Saw Inside Out today. Fun movie. However, I thought it was more for adults than kids.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
May I ask why you thought that, Kooklie? It's one I have on my list to see with Melodie (she's 11) and would like to know if it's inappropriate.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I don't think there's anything inappropriate in Inside Out at all. It's actually quite deep about emotions and how complex they become as we enter puberty and adulthood. I think the profound message will be lost on little kids, but I think they will still enjoy it. It's perfect for an 11 year old.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
It's not inappropriate by any means. I just kept hearing younger kids ask their parents questions about things that happened though the movie, which I won't spoil here. There may be parts that are a bit confusing to them. Like Brenda says, it's quite deep and complex. And, yes, 11 years old should be okay. I used kids in a general term, but was thinking about 6-7 year olds.

There was an adorable preview movie called Lava. Loved it. Oh and stay through the first part of the credits. Some funny stuff there.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Kooklie. I'm probably just over protective but I don't want to sit in a movie with an 11 year old and have to try to explain adult situations to her or keep sending her out for popcorn. LOL

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
All in all, it may have been the same little kid asking his parent the questions.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Loved Boyhood but I felt it really lasted the 12 years it took to film it... endless. At first I was intrigued seeing the transformation in the children then realized it took 12 years to film, so my amazement was great! I don't remember any other movie filming this way, usually they hurry up in maximum 6 months. I think the boy and actually the father deserved the Oscar more than the mother.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
SPY ~ OMG ~ Hilarious and FUN! Great cast! Just not for young kids due to excessive foul language!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Ted2 funny not as good as 1st

magic mike....toooooo much story not enough dancing..awesome cameo by Strahan Loved Twitch

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Ant Man has 2 credit scenes !!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, July 06, 2015 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Inside Out . a galpal and I enjoy animated films. While I really liked the beginning and the end, I found the middle part very dreary and fell asleep!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mr. Holmes - saw a preview - a friend won tickets. It was terrific. 8 out of 10 gold stars

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
trainwreck ...not as funny as I thought it would be but it had a better storyline than I expected.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Mr. Holmes ~ Beautiful scenery but sadly, I would give it a 5 out of 10. Great potential but oh so slow.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I liked Trainwreck. It's pretty raunchy, so be aware of that. I was totally surprised at the acting skills of Bill Hader. I didn't care for him in SNL, but he's quite charming in this movie. Lebron and Ceda were also good.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Just saw Jurassic Park and I loved it!! I got that little chill down my spine when the music from the 3 previous movies started to play. Get storyline and I cracked up when I saw Vincent D'onfrio and BD Wong. (BD Wong was a bad guy in the last movie I saw and I really enjoy him on Law and Order, so it was funny to see him again).

Didn't see it in 3D and I think I am glad about that I thought the dinosaurs were done really well.

Quite enjoyable, a little bloody occasionally.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ant-Man was very enjoyable. How can you not love Paul Rudd?