TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 01, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 01, 2015 users admin

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
A high recommendation for Into the Woods. Yes, there were some changes made in adapting the musical to a movie. But it's all fundamentally there. I loved it, and great performances.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yes INTO THE WOODS was terrific. And if possible, Meryl Streep outdid herself. Amazing performance! I highly recommend it. (Though I do wish it hadn't been 'Disneyfied' but all in all, it's nicely done.)

(When I want to enjoy the UNDisneyfied orginal I have the video of the Broadway version with Bernadette Peters as the Witch.)

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Such wide reviews. One of my friends said Into The Woods was the worst movie she's ever seen and another said she was bored. I guess I'll wait on that one. We have Movie Grill gift cards that we've had for almost a year. Maybe we will try wild or Unbroken.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It helps to know the reviewer's personality and the kind of movie that the reviewer typically likes. For example, I always had a pretty good idea of what Roger Ebert was looking for in a movie so I could tell from his reviews if I would like a movie.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I agree Jimmer and with Ebert's passing I just dont' have a reliable reviewer to turn to!

Saw a few this week...
Big Eyes -- not your typical Tim Burton. Mildly interesting -- wait for home video
Wild -- was not expecting much from this (had a free pass) but I got more out of it than I thought I would. It's moving.
The Imitation Game -- interesting, well done, tragic.
Interstellar -- had no idea what to expect, but my tween and I loved this -- blew our minds.
Into the Woods -- this is an old school musical and I love musicals so I enjoyed it. The kids thought it was "corny" but some of it was meant to be corny!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Has anyone seen Annie or American Sniper?

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
The Skeleton Twins was good. The film is a bit depressing but there are enough funny moments to keep it from being a downer. The actors were amazi ng.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 5:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I agree about Ebert as well!! Even if he really enjoyed a movie, he reviewed it in such a way that I knew it would not interest me at all. Worked the other way as well, he would provide such wonderful detail on why he didn't enjoy a film and those would be reasons I WOULD like it. I can't seem to find that in other reviewers, so now I just get a general impression from averaging out multiple reviews.

Re: Out of the Woods. I am always surprised by how many people see movies based on level of hype instead of doing any investigation at all as to whether the content interests them. My FIL walked out of 'Chicago' 15 minutes in. Told us later he didn't care how good the reviews were, all they did was sing. Rflol. Out of the family and friends I know that have seen Out of the Woods, those that enjoy Broadway have loved it, those that don't ... haven't. I am hoping to go this weekend although I would love it they would just keep it simple and film more live Broadway events to air in theatres the way they did with Les Miserables, Jesus Christ Superstar. I know they wouldn't bring in the same numbers but the cost has to be a fraction.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Rissa-
I thought you might be interested in Digital Theatre. They film London based productions and air them in cinemas (not much in the states for cinema). You can rent or purchase productions from their website and watch them online though. Not the same as a theatre, but nice to be able to see certain productions. They have one for Into the Woods as well. Here is a link for their current productions available...

http://www.digitaltheatre.com/browse/all

Here is the main page link...

http://www.digitaltheatre.com/

Hopefully they will start doing something like this for Broadway based productions as well. :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
American Sniper is not out here until Jan 16. :-( As for "Annie" -- I refuse to see modern Annie. If they removed songs like "We'd Like to thank you Herbert Hoover", then no thanks! :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The wonderful bio-pic documentary film about Roger Ebert "Life Itself" is airing this Sunday evening on CNN. Highly recommended for movie lovers.

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
Loved American Sniper!

AS and Unbroken are my favorite movies of the year! Loved them both

Even if you don't like war movies,these 2 movies are both great stories

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Rienn, best Christmas gift ever!!!! Will start with 'Much ado about Nothing', move on from there. Thank you!!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, January 02, 2015 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Yay!

You can't go wrong with David Tennant and Catherine Tate (I hope). :-)

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Saw The Imitation Game and was so impressed in every way - the story telling, the acting - just a well done movie! I was expecting it to just be about the code breaking but instead it is a very complex movie with a lot to say about human nature.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks to Naja's reminder of a free-view of the premium channels this weekend. I just watched The Impossible about the tsunami with Naomi Watts. It was very good.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
We are getting the free preview too. I didn't know. Thanks for the reminder.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I watched The Butler during the free preview and it was a kick to see Jane Fonda playing Nancy Reagan.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I highly recommend "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"

you're welcome

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
American Sniper is very good, as was the acting. It did leave me upset though, so many lives affected by a stupid war..and for what?!?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
everyone is saying how they have never left a movie in complete silence. It was quite powerful

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, January 26, 2015 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
American Sniper ~ What an excellent movie! Bradley Cooper was incredible. I think it's a great study in what happens to soldiers no matter what matter what war they're talking about - Vietnam, the Gulf war, Irag - it's all the same when it comes to how it affects them emotionally.

And yes, Pamy, the complete silence at the end was powerful.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Saw a bunch recently...
American Sniper is very, very good. Powerful. Not political.
The Theory of Everything -- such a beautiful, touching film. Very, very good. Bring your Kleenex.
Whiplash -- kind of exhausting to watch, leaves your head spinning a bit.
Foxcatcher - impressive performance by Steve Carrel, but the rest of the film was just so-so for me.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, January 30, 2015 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Julianne Moore is probably the finest actress of our generation. I hope she wins next month. Saw Still Alice today. It's not a film I would have otherwise picked to see if not for her nomination. It's very, very good and she is amazing. I don't adore her. Never really have. I think I still hold a grudge that she took over the role of Frannie on As the World Turns. :-) But she is impressive.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 6:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I saw "The Imitation Game",and loved it! Benedict Cumberbatch...wow!

I also saw "American Sniper". I read the book right before I saw it. Some interesting differences. Bradley Cooper was amazing and quite cute! (To be shallow for a moment)