TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 28, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 28, 2014 users admin

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
Watched Snowpiercer (released last year, new to Netflix) today. I would watch it again just for the visual effects, some very cool stuff, no pun intended :-) It is a dark post-apocalypse movie, but I tend to like that kind of stuff. Chris Evans is great.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I just saw Birdman too. Michael Keaton was awesome. I think I got too caught up in the unique camerawork more than the story. I thought that Ed Norton was good too.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Going to see Gone Girl today (I read the book based on Landi's recommendation a year or so ago). I better go make sure I didn't misread the movie clock if we are going to drive 25 miles to see it. Back, good to go. Thanks for the recommendations. We had thought it might be playing the dollar theater when we arrived in South Texas, but it is apparently back for an encore at the first run theater, so we will see it there.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I had just read the book prior to seeing Gone Girl. It stayed fairly true. Have fun!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Saw Gone Girl and found it VERY true to the book, which is not surprising since Gillian Flynn also did the screenplay. Movie was very good and certainly held one's interest all the way through. I am not sure Ben Affleck was the best choice for Nick. I might have liked somebody a bit edgier.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
When I was reading the book, I already knew that Ben Affleck had the part in the movie. So, I saw him in my mind's eye while reading. However, I would have like Maggie Gyllanhall as his sister.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Saw Hunger Games, MockingJay Part 1. The entire audience went "nooooooo" at the end because we all wanted to see part 2 RIGHT NOW, lol! It's true to the book and I felt they've set it up very well for the last part. Just sorry we have to wait a year.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
We saw it too. Of course it feels incomplete because it was just 1/2 a movie! The first half - the set up. Sad and methodical. I guess the second half will be action and more action. It's kind of cruel that they make us wait a year.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Very sad they are going to make us wait another year!!

I also saw St. Vincent and enjoyed it.

Spoton

09-16-2005

Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spoton a private message Print Post    
Horrible Bosses 2 - A lot of laughs, a Lot of "language" and unending sex jokes. In other words, not for the kids. I don't really like so much colorful language but the characters are funny. I laughed out loud a lot.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My DD and I went to see Hunger Games, MockingJay Part 1 on Thursday. I've read all three of the books and the third book was my least favorite by a wide margin so I wasn't terribly enthused about seeing the movie. However, I think they did a good job with it. It is one of those rare movies that is actually better than the book. I can't recommend it to anyone who isn't familiar with the books or the first two movies because it is an ongoing story but anyone who read the books or enjoyed the first two movies will likely enjoy this one.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Went to see Big Hero 6 this weekend. My Tween and I loved it. Really enjoyable and even made me cry.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
we loved it too!

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Monday, December 22, 2014 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
Best movies of the year ! Must see....
American Sniper and Unbroken- I could see BOTH of these movies again. Both such powerful movies with great acting.

Didnt love Gone Girl, ( I didn't get the end! Lol) and Wild was just okay for me.

Watching "Cake" with Jen Aniston now...... Eh

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, December 22, 2014 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Was Wild slow? I couldn't get into the book.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, December 22, 2014 - 7:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw Birdman. It's an odd little film. I appreciated it, but didn't love it. I feel like I should see Wild -- will probably get Reese a bunch of nominations, but it honestly doesn't interest me at all. American Sniper and the movie about the WWII decoder (can't recall the name, something with an I) look good. I also like Tim Burton so perhaps Big Eyes. Tis the movie season!

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Anyone for conspiracy theories?? The whole cyber attack on Sony for the movie The Interview was a publicity stunt that will make a lot of people go see this movie on Christmas Day.

The satire really targets America and you still want to see this movie?? Nah... If there is nothing better than this... oh my! Well, 2015 will be worse than 2014 but better than 2016 in the digital world.
Have a jolly holly season..

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
Wild was a little slow- the trailer was much better.

Jennifer did an okay job in cake, but also kinda slow. Eh

But definitely recommend Unbroken - great true story
Bradly Cooper was just AMAZING in American sniper.

I have the screeners for Birdman and the theory of everything- don't care to see either of them.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
This is where I leave you with Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Jane Fonda. Really enjoyed it, many, many laugh out loud moments.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks Lostfan.
Love JB, so I plan to pay per view it Rissa.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Spunky ~ The first words spoken in our house after hearing about the Sony cyber hack was "PUBLICITY STUNT", lol!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, December 26, 2014 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
So I'm doing my usual late in the year film catch up activities, watching screeners while I house/dogsit for my BFF and her husband.

So far I have watched:

Boyhood. If you know how it was made, it's really good. But if you are watching it purely as a film, it has a lot of melodrama but not a strong narrative arc. The acting, OTOH, is uniformly excellent. By the time he reaches adulthood, you realize how smart and subtle the lead actor's performance has been throughout the film; Ethan Wawke and that Arquette woman (don't remember which one it is) are really quite amazing, too.

Theory of Everything. I didn't want to watch it when I found out it was about Stephen Hawking, but I did anyhow. I'm glad I did. The lead actor does an amazing job of inhabiting Hawking's deterioration (I thought he was born that way for whatever reason) and being believable at every moment. He also gives Hawking a great personality, even managing to make him remain randy even when he has only his eyes to convey it.

Still Alice. Julianne Moore plays a Columbia linguistics professor who develops early onset Alzheimer's; Alec Baldwin is her husband. I've read that the Oscar for Best Actress will be between Ms Moore and Reese Witherspoon, so I had to see this. Ms Moore is, as always, simply sublime I can't say enough about how powerful her performance is....but the topic is something that might make almost any performance look good. Anyhow I'm hoping she wins--and this is without seeing Wild yet--because Ms Moore should have won about 5 Oscars already and this performance merits it.

Grand Budapest Hotel. I. Love. Wes. Anderson.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Ms Moore has always been under rated. I've been wanting to see a movie this holiday season but the premises are all such downers. I always get a case of the holiday blues is there not something uplifting out there?
I'm interested to know how Nr Hawking has survived for so long. I've lost two friends to ALS within two yrs of diagnosis.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just saw The Imitation Game. Oh my god, it was one of the best movies I've seen. BC was amazing. The audience applauded at the end, which does not happen much when I see movies. I highly recommend it.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
I saw the Imagination Game as well, such a great movie! I loved it, and the entire audience was applauding at the end. We went to a 2pm showing and the theatre was completely packed which I have never seen before for a Sunday matinée. The acting was really good, and the story is true. I wasn't excited to go see it at first because I had no expectations, and didn't know much about the subject but after seeing it, I can't recommend it enough!