TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 01, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 01, 2014 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, July 07, 2014 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Anybody see the movie "America"? I'm curious about it.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 5:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Transformers: Age of Extinction gets a thumbs down from me. The movie was ridiculously long, about 2 hours and 45 minutes. I slept through about 2 hours of it, not in one stretch, on and off. Hubby thought it was ok.
This weekend we saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and I enjoyed it very much.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 5:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Saw "Jersey Boys" last night. I really, really enjoyed it! I think it's probably more enjoyable to the older crowd...ah hem...ME!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Immigrant with Joaquin Phoenix and Marion cotillion Acting and story was very good.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, August 15, 2014 - 5:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Saw "The Hundred Foot Journey" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Saw an ad in the theatre for "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" (Part II) and can't wait to see that either. Richard Gere has been added to the cast!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Dang Reenie, I wish I had seen 100 foot journey! Lol. It was hubby's turn to pick movie so we saw Lucy. Bored me from beginning to end. I had read that the story wasn't great but the special effects made up for it. I didn't see anything (effects-wise) not seen in dozens of other movies and nothing could redeem the story IMO. :-) Then we came home and watched Noah and it was even worse!!! Lol. Two stinkers in one day and that's why I usually tell hubby to take one of our dds. Lol

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just saw "The Giver". I read the book last week and I have to say, the movie was fabulous. They made some changes, but for the better.

Kep421

08-10-2001

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
While laid up this past weekend, with time to kill, I watched a movie on Netflix that was released (I think) in April 2014.

the movie was "The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden”.

It is a real life mystery set back in the late 1920's and early 1930's, and I found the perspective of the people in the region very interesting and sometimes downright funny.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys unsolved mysteries...in a documentary style.

The voice overs (from actual letters and books written by the parties) included Cate Blanchett and Diane Kruger...

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-04-04/new-film-unearths-true-story-1930s-murder-mystery-galapagos

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 11:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I second The Hundred Foot Journey!

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Last night we saw "Gone Girl". All I can say is WOW! What a movie. On the edge of your seat the entire time.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, October 06, 2014 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks Pipin.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, October 10, 2014 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Definitely second GONE GIRL! Great cast!

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Friday, October 10, 2014 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
Gone Girl was awesome. I haven't read the book yet, so I didn't know what to expect. And even though the reviews I've read have been good about not spoiling, I still thought I picked up enough hints to maybe figure out what would happen... I didn't. One of the things I loved most was the music, so perfect in so many scenes. It's a 2+ hour movie and went by so fast.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I will definitely be seeing this one (although probably on video)...I am keen to see how they translated the dual narrators in the book to screen.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Last weekend, I saw 'And this is where I leave you'. The cast was awesome. While some of the family interactions were a bit over the top, it did not bother me at all. I enjoyed it and wondered when Jason Bateman became a hunk. Basically, there was no heavy lifting involved in watching it. So, if you want to see an enjoyable movie that won't tax the brain and will give you a few smiles, I would recommend this one.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
I agree Kooklie. I saw it this past weekend and really enjoyed it. laughed and cried. Ive loved Jason for a long time now ;)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I saw Gone Girl last night. Loved it! We were discussing it for hours afterward. I read the book and it followed it pretty well. Acting was great especially Rosamund Pike.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
We saw The Judge today.

Very well done. Just a couple hiccups (unfinished business stuff). RDJ shows his great drama range here. Oscar nom? And supporting actor for Robert Duvall.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, October 20, 2014 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Third weekend in a row for a movie! This weekend, was Gone Girl. Very nicely done. I read the book, as well, and like Mamie says, it was pretty close. I think someone going in without reading the book would enjoy it immensely.

Next weekend, I'm going to see Birdman. Can't wait for that one.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, October 20, 2014 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I loved Gone Girl!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I wish Birdman was playing nearby. We were going to see The Judge this week but my sister-in-law went with her father so we might go see St. Vincent. I've heard good things about it. We are going to try and go once a week. It's my one escape from the care of my mom.

When we saw Gone Girl, two of us had read the book and two hadn't and I think either way, we all enjoyed it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Saw St. Vincent last night. It's one of those movies that just touches your heart. Bill Murray was great, probably playing himself, but great. The little boy playing Oliver was adorable.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Birdman starts here in Portland on Friday. However, it's only at 1 theatre in the entire metro area. I plan to see it this weekend for sure.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, October 31, 2014 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Night crawler with Jake gyllenhall was good. Excellent acting from a the actors too.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Saw Birdman. Congrats to Michael Keaton! I will be shocked if he is not up for an oscar. The entire cast was good but I was not riveted by the story like I was with American Hustle last year. It starts out great but somewhere in the middle, I felt like it just dropped.

Also saw Gone Girl and feel it will be nominated for best movie. We were talking about it for hours after with one having read the book and the other not.