TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 01, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: THG: Catching Fire: Archive through December 01, 2013 users admin

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Anybody else looking forward to this?!

Catching fire was my favorite book of the series so I can't wait to see it realized in movie form. I find myself haunting rotten tomatoes to see what the critics will feel about it when they see advanced screenings.

*SPOILER*

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
For some reason the two parts I am most looking forward to seeing are Katniss' reaction after she finds out she's going back in the games and her torment by the jabberjays in the arena.

I have no idea why but I love crazy!Katniss. I just love to see her go a bit insane and become unhinged emotionally. I just...appreciate the fact that the author gave her that much depth. What she went through in THG and currently in Catching Fire, the repercussions on her mind and body and soul are unavoidable and the author really pushes that rather than leaving her a surface character.

So YES, bring on hysteric Katniss, running into a deep dark cellar, curling up on the floor and screaming into her balled up front shirt until her voice is gone.

Bring on her breakdown in the jabberjay forest, when she tries to hang on to her sanity while listening to the horrific cries of all her loved ones.

Another reason I'm looking forward to it is that I think Jennifer Lawrence totally has the acting ability to go there.

Anyone else looking forward to anything specific?

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The local theater is already selling tickets for it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'll go see it. I suffered through the books so I have to suffer through the flicks too. :-)

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Suffered?!?

So you didn't like them Brenda?

I think here too Ketchup, in fact I kinda wanted to buy some but not for the opening night on thursday but friday night. I don't even know how fast they sell out but I might check into it this weekend!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
No, I can't say I really liked the HG books. The whole premise is such a turn off for me. I understand why the kids enjoy them. Very original stories, strong female character. I think the first movie was well done so I hope the others are too. But it's not a tale I "like".

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Is the Hunger Games on video yet? I want DH to see it before we go see Catching Fire.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
I love futuristic dystopian novels, so I guess if those aren't ones cup of tea THG wouldn't be too enjoyable. I also enjoy survivalist themes so that was an added bonus for me with this series.

But the greatest asset THG has IMO is that it's an adult crossover series. I'm 29 and it's one of my favorite series of novels and I know more adults who enjoy this series than teens. I think the author did a good job of elevating the tone of the writing just enough (along with a rather brutal concept for a storyline that almost appeals more to adults than children) helped it to rise above the mire of most YA novels.

And I agree that the movie was quite well done (great casting). SO I have hope that they will continue to do justice with Catching Fire!

eta: Yeah, Mame its been out for awhile I think :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
They are page turners! I def felt like I had to keep reading to find out what happens, but they weren't fun books for me. I tried reading the Maze Runner and got through book 1 of that, but didn't read the following books because the reviews were pretty bad.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed the first two books. The third ... not as much. I also thought the first movie was very well done. A far step up from the Twilight series.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, October 04, 2013 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The dvd is about $12.96 at WalMart

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
We went to the first movie and ended up enjoying it so much that I went out and bought the books to read. I was so glad I bought the set because once I had finished the 2nd book, I immediately wanted to read the 3rd and find out what happens. The writing might be simple but I loved the story line and I'm not one who seeks out dystopian themes. The added cast members are a great bonus. Can't wait to see Seymour Hoffman!

CAN'T WAIT for Nov. 22nd!

Happymom

01-20-2003

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Like Brenda, the whole premise is a turn off for me.

And unlike Nolandry, I do not like futuristic dystopian novels or survivalist themes ... and I don't like movies of those types either...

but I loved the books, couldn't put them down, and loved the first movie. I am really looking forward to the 2nd movie.

lol Kappy, I've never heard Philip Seymour Hoffman referred to w/o the Philip! He's a great actor, I'm a big fan of his and of Jennifer Lawrence.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 11:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
I was VERY HAPPY with Catching Fire! Obviously things got left out, but that's always gonna happen. That's why it's called an adaption. And even some details were tweaked, but I'm assuming it was for good reason. Overall I was very pleased with the second film.

Details: Obviously SPOILERY!

Like I said there were several tweaked things that I couldn't help but think "Why did they feel the need to do that?" Like Gale's whipping. In the book he got it because he brought some game to the head peacekeepers house thinking it was their congenial old guy, but it ended up being Thread, who then gave him the whipping as his punishment for leaving the district AND hunting. In the movie he slams his body into Thread to protect Seam woman and gets whipped for the attack. At first I was irked and then I thought "well I suppose they didn't want to waste screentime and the most essential part was him getting whipped" not why he got whipped. Same way I felt when they were dipping their skin into pond water in the movie to clean out the poison when in the book they actually go back to the beach and go into "ocean" water in the middle of the arena. Again, why the tweak in the movie? IDK but I suppose there had to be a purpose. I'm also not sure why Katniss suggests she and Peeta get married in the movie.....because that was completely Snow's concoction in the book. I was thrown off by the purpose in that. Not to mention, Gale and Katniss kiss three times in the movie even though they kiss only once in the book. I could go on and on....but still. There was much to love!

I was extremely happy with the actors for Finnick and Johanna. They really aced that casting. And of course Effie was very well done once again.

I think the thing I was most happy with is the weight given to Katniss and Peeta's relationship development. I was pretty worried about how it would get portrayed. In Hunger Games I had felt that too many of their interactions/conversations had been left out. And I thought the same might occur in Catching Fire but thank goodness it was not! The interaction between them was more pronounced, the conversations having more undertones and feeling weightier. So I loved the Katniss/Peeta aspect of the movie. And I don't want it to be mistaken that that's all I see THG trilogy as. It's not some dystopian love story. But I really enjoyed (in the books) Peeta and Katniss' growing emotional need for each other. Almost codependency (i.e. needing to sleep together) because only they can understand each other on a much more intimate level because they've both experienced the games together. I didn't want that to get short shrift in the movies. I feel like Catching Fire brought that more to light, which made me insanely pleased!

Finally, my FAVORITE scene in the entire movie was the jabberjay forest scene. It was the one scene I felt that the movie actually IMPROVED on from the book. To see Katniss break down at the edge of the jabberjay forest, Peeta right on the other side of that invisible wall that was holding her there. Aughhhhh, Josh Hutcherson did amaaaaaazing in that scene. They both did. I really felt him straining to comfort her with every fiber of his being (imploring with his eyes!) and it was devastating that they couldn't quite touch and totally hear one another. LOVED THAT PART SO MUCH.

I also couldn't help but grin when all Katniss could ask for in the end was where Peeta was, like he was the only person she could think about (just as she was in the book). It will make the next movie all the more meaningful when we see what has happened to Peeta when he was captured by President Snow.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 11:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Okay, haha, I know that really all sounded like I'm obsessed with Katniss/Peeta. I'm really not. The thing I love about THG series is that it's NOT ultimately a love story. It's about cruelty, and politics and revolution with really good world-building. I think perhaps the reason I became so fond of Katniss and Peeta's love for one another is because it is rather subtle in the books and born out of mutual emotional need between two effed up people. And the reactions I've gotten from some people (*cough* some people who push Gale/Katniss) I want to say "what are you blind?!" It drives me mad when people don't recognize the slow building understated love story like Katniss/Peeta have.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the great review! As you know, I enjoyed the books and my DD is reading Catching Fire right now (she wanted to read it before seeing the movie).

I felt the plot and acting in The Hunger Games was a considerable step above what we normally see in these types of movies so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
I felt the plot and acting in The Hunger Games was a considerable step above what we normally see in these types of movies

Completely agreed. And I think you'll be even more pleased this time around because I think the acting is even better than the first (by all parties) and the screenwriters did a good job bringing in more depth from the book while still maintaining laughs and fun.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
loved it and was so mad at the end! I felt we still had more movie to watch!! I dont feel like this movie wrapped up like the first one...I know there is a part 3 but thats 3 yrs from now.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Loved it! Already have seen it twice. Granddaughter could not go with us the first time, so had to take her the next night.

Don't forget about Megs either - all the new characters were superb. And Katniss - could she have done any better acting? No!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 11:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm going to see it tomorrow night. Can't wait. My daughter saw it tonight and loved it.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Pamy ~ I felt it was true to book 2 in how it ends. It's the reason I immediately went into reading the 3rd book. I just want the final movies to be done NOW! At least they're suppose to be only a year apart with one half in 2014 and one half in 2015.

The actors did great. The young sister is so grown up now. I had forgotten what a small 'adult' she had become in the book.

I wasn't sure I was going to like Finnick and Joanna but they both rocked it. I think the cast is what helps to keep this series elevated.

Both DS and I want to go back and see it again!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read all three books in a row so to me, they pretty much flowed into the other. I didn't like the last one as much as the first two but I still am looking forward to how they play out the end on screen.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I read all the books back to back as well, so I honestly couldn't remember what even happened in Catching Fire. I enjoyed the movie. I think they are well done, covering enough of the book plot and doing it with style. I don't love the whole premise of the story, but for what it is, it's well done and interesting.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, November 25, 2013 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I read the series and felt they did an excellent job of depicting it. Loved all the costumes; Effie's costume/makeup; the butterflies on her body and even eyelashes were so cool and Katnis in the wedding gown/Mocking Jay was brilliant. Sutherland is awesome as President Snow. This type of film/book isn't my type of reading/watching as Brenda said but with the added flare of each character and costumes, it keeps me interested. Even the detail of the train and passing through the district was as I envisioned. I too felt empty at the end wanting more however that is how it went in the book as well.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Question....why did they kill the black man when he raised the 3 fingers and then everyone did the whistle? iirc..another district also raised their fingers but nothing happened to them

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Pamy I'm guessing it was because he was the first one to 'rebel' by doing that particular salute, as a citizen. I suppose they were making an example of him.

Bought the Hunger Games at Walmart for 10 bucks, and I FINALLY got DH to watch it before we went to see Catching Fire yesterday.

While I remembered the first book, I'd forgotten most of the other 2 books. Seeing part 2 has made me NEED to reread the books again!

Question: Will book 3 will be split into 2 films?

I must say the acting in these films is superior to anything I've seen in a very long while. Beyond excellent, if it's at all possible!

I have to admit I was sorry that they changed directors. I preferred the lighter touches of the first film. But like everyone else, I am on the edge of my seat waiting for part 3. :-)

ETA: That wedding dress was gorgeous!!!! I wonder if it will start a trend. (Okay it was overkill, but the basic dress was a stunner!)