TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 19, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 19, 2014 users admin

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Tish, I'm really curious now...why do you dislike Bullock so much? I think you met her at one time (?) or perhaps just know someone who knows her well...I can't remember but recall you mentioning your dislike of her before. The details escape me though.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Monument's Men!!!

I agree with Kappy and Knightpatti... I want to do further research on these guys. I grew up in a house with a dad who was a WWII buff... and I never heard of these guys and their mission. It is a fascinating story!

My 14 year old son even enjoyed it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, Spill it Tishala!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I have to say that I'm a bit curious as well.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Oh it's nit that interesting. I've never met her, but I did have a close friend who did "fixer" writing in a horrible script immediately before and during the film"s production. He said she was just awful, the worst. Like all the terrible things you hear about stars bright to life in one person. He also said that, even by the standards of other actors, she's dumb as dirt--'too stupid to piss in the shower." Now, there's nothing wrong with either of those things, really: when you're going to be in a film that costs a lit of money, and for which you're being paid a lot of money, tensions will be high. And, bless her heart, she can't help it that she was hit with the dummy stick. While there are some very intelligent actors, they are the exception rather than the rule. She's just, apparently, even below a not especially high norm.

the reason I dislike her, though, is that she played the aggrieved woman role to the hilt when her inked up husband cheated on her despite the fact that both of them had been cheating on each other--she with the costar of the film my friend worked on, among several other there)-throughout their marriage. Who knows...this could have been their agreement or whatever and she just turned in the sad wifey act because it hit the press. I dunno. I just know that her blatant dishonesty, in light of the things I'd heard from my friend, soured me on her for good. Besides, I'd never much liked her because most of her films feel like they're made only to insult my intelligence.

See? Not exciting at all. Now back to the movies!!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Brenda I agree about June...I'd love to see her win. But that category has such good nominees this year. I'm almost sure the woman from 12 Years a Slave will win and I was also terribly impressed with Julia Roberts (!) performance in August: Osage County. It had an angularity I'd never seen in her acting before and I was really impressed (OTOH I thought Streep was close to terrible with what I felt was overacting. I can't imagine why she was nominated ahead of many others except for the fact that she's Meryl Streep).

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Streep has been overacting since menopause struck. At least that's when she became permanently giddy.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think Julia Roberts really was not a supporting actor -- she was in most of the film! So, I think she's wrongly in that category so shouldn't win it, although it was impressive. It's like cheating. She should be in the best acting category.

Sandra doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb for sure, but I did not find her distracting or annoying in Gravity.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for that, Tishala. Interesting.

I've avoided Gravity simply because I think that despite the stellar effects and acting it is a predictable movie with a predictable performance by Bullock.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Saw Monuments Men today and didn't enjoy it at all. It was so slow moving. The funny parts weren't funny, the tense parts weren't tense.
In general, for me the movie just didn't work in spite of the great cast. I kept waiting for something to happen to hold my interest. I actually fell asleep for about 20 minutes. Hubby agreed it was boring.
Watched Dallas Buyers' Club yesterday. To say it was a terrific movie given the subject matter doesn't seem right, but can't think of another description. It was very tough to watch, and brought back memories of friends whose lives were affected by AIDS back in the early days. Heartbreaking. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto were brilliant! Prior to seeing this movie I thought Christian Bale should win best actor, although I hoped Leonardo would win because he's so long overdue for the award. After seeing DBC, I hope Best Actor and Best supporting actor awards go to Matthew and Jared.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Just saw Kevin Costner's "3 Days to Kill". Much b better than we expected. Really enjoyed it. Had some humorous moments as well.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
We just saw Monuments Men and enjoyed it. Definitely a quieter, more thoughtful type of movie but, I thought, well done. I have lost faith in the American entertainment industries ability to tell the difference between a lie and damned lie. LOL Annoys me that we have hundreds of thousands of people who will see a movie like Argo and think it has any resemblance to actual events. Monuments Men actually restored some of that faith. LOL It did do some adapting but it's to be expected, they got the spirit right. Mind you, we just finished watching the 2 hour documentary 'The Raping of Europa' the night before so was fascinating to compare the two in such a close period of time. I was surprised to hear how much of Hitler's motivation came from his desire to acquire art.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Tishala -- what did you like so much about "Her"?

I saw Her today to round out my Oscar Viewing. I'd give it a B-. It gets an A for originality and creativity, but a C- for editing. It really moves along too slowly. I started nodding off! Zzzzzz! There was no need for it to be 2 hours long. It needed a good editor that would trim about 30 minutes out of it.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Well, I thought the production design and cinematography were excellent, for one thing. I'm a sucker for a film that looks beautiful and Her has that in spades. I also think the script is pretty amazing. What it does that I enjoyed so much, though, was to take a time-honored trope of cinema or literature--the ill-fated lovers--and cast that trope in new and interesting ways. Connected to that, I think, is the way the film tries to explore the prosthetic nature of modern relationships--we talk to each other frequently without talking at all; it's a computer or a phone doing it for us--and how the electronic prosthetic necessitates, in some ways, a reexploration of what constitutes the human, or of rethinking the place where the human begins and the machine ends, and whether, as machines have become more human, humans have themselves become more mechanized. This was actualized, for example, in the machine that allowed Roger Ebert to talk (hearing him talk on Oprah made me cry because, even though it was a machine, it also wasn't) or the gadgetry that allows Stephen Hawkings to speak.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, the concept of the movie is really interesting. I think the execution was a bit overblown. Could have used a tighter edit IMO.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
And yes, hearing Roger speak blew my mind and made me cry. Miss him SO. He opened up the world of film to so many of us. What a gift.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
The Act of Killing, nominated for best documentary feature, is an AMAZING film.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I’m ready for Oscar night! I did it! I saw all the films nominated for Oscars in best picture and acting and screenplay categories. 9 Best Pic films plus 2 more to cover acting and 1 more for screenplay. Also saw 4 out of the 5 nominated for Animated Feature. It has been several years since I’ve viewed so many of them. My conclusion – this was a solid year for film, but no single film rises above the others for me. Nebraska probably surprised me the most. I’d be tickled if Squibb won supporting actress. For actor I’d like to see Matthew and Jared take the awards for Dallas Buyers Club. For Best Pic I’m not even sure I have a favorite -- maybe American Hustle. Actually Frozen would be my pick for my favorite film of the year. I hope it wins the Animation category. Can’t wait for Sunday night!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Tishala -- was it a brutal and difficult film to watch? It looks like it's probably very memorable but I'm not sure I have the stomach for it.

I did see Miyazaki's The Wind Rises today. I would say it's a bit slow, but it's just so beautiful. It's like a bio pic. i'm not sure how much of it is factual. If this really is his last film, my heart is broken.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
It was more surreal--almost unbelievable--than it was brutal.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Watched The Hunger Games: Catching Fire today. It was good. Enjoyed it! Wondering where they are going to split Mockingjay in two.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Saw Philomena tonight. 10 out of 10 stars. loved it to pieces

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Non Stop...great action movie! kept us guessing the whole time! and a nice surprise was seeing the beautiful Lupita in a small role :-)

We liked it better than 3 days to Kill

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Dallas Buyers Club. Not too shabby.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Single Moms Club...enjoyable but I could have waited for dvd.