TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
PHILOMENA

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: PHILOMENA users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Philomena was wonderful. Out of 5 stars, I give it 10! The excellent script just crackled with a perfect balance of humour and pathos, and the acting (Judy Dench! Steve Coogan) was superb. Best film of my year. It resonated deeply for me, as did these other fairly recent biopics, The King's Speech, and the Blind Side. It kills me that co-star Steve Coogan didn't win the Oscar last night for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just watched this and thought it was wonderful! The way the story unfolded was perfect. Judi Dench is superb, as always, and I was very impressed by Steve Coogan's performance as well. He did a great job with the screenplay. I agree with Mame and give it a 10!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Years ago, I read a book about the Irish laundries. I was shocked when I read it so many years ago and hadn't heard mention of it again. I didn't realize that it played a part in this movie - I need to rent this.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I now have the DVD sitting in front of me to watch later today. Can't wait!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I hope you like it, OG. I sure did.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Yes, I did like it, Rieann. It is just too sad at what was done to the Magdaline girls in the name of God. My God says the greatest thing is 'love' and those nuns didn't show a ounce of love. I'm sure glad it was all brought out in the open. I was so sad Philomena never got to reunite with her son while he was alive.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Some of you might be interested in "The Magd(e)(a)line Sisters" movie.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I've seen it KL and it is heartbreaking.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, May 12, 2014 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Rented it. Wow, what a movie. The premise of these poor girls being given away by their parents because they were disgraced is so sad.

I wonder how the parents who gave away their daughters and grandchildren feel now about how they handled their daughter's pregnancy.

Shameful all around.

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Friday, June 06, 2014 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
This movie was so wonderful. I loved it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, June 06, 2014 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I must see movie

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Did any of you catch this news:
New research suggests that some 796 children were secretly buried in the sewage tank of a home run by nuns in Tuam, Ireland, where unmarried pregnant women were sent to give birth in an attempt to preserve the country's devout Catholic image, NBC News reported. People who lived near the home-- run by nuns from the Bon Secours Sisters congregation between 1925 and 1961 -- said they have known about the unmarked mass grave for decades, but a fresh investigation was sparked this week after research by a local historian purportedly showed that of the hundreds of children who died at the home, only one was buried at a cemetery.

Get More at NBC News

Boberg

10-04-2002

Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Ophilia yes I caught bits of that news also...of course the local priest was saying we should just forgive because things were different then. Huh?

For me that goes right along with the years and years the catholic church hid and protected pedophiles instead of protecting the children.

Of course, infants and children can't put money in the church's coffers.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
796 children? One has to wonder how so many children died in that location. Shameful behavior. Sometimes the church's priorities are upside down.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Take a gander at this nonsense. If anybody buys this I have a bridge to sell them.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/religion/st-louis-archbishop-didnt-know-sex-children-was-crime-n127291

Boberg

10-04-2002

Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Wow just Wow Ophiliasgrandma. I am especially glad that "ignorance" is no excuse for breaking the law.
He is suppose to be a man of God and this is how he behaves...denial denial denial
Where is his remorse, where is his shame?

I see a "rock tied around the neck and being cast into the sea" in his future.

Stormie

03-01-2007

Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Stormie a private message Print Post    
I just saw this movie and I loved it. It's heartfelt and warm and inspirational all in one. If you haven't seen it yet, you might want to check it out, I think it's worth watching.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the reminder Stormie. I do want to see this movie.

Stormie

03-01-2007

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 4:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Stormie a private message Print Post    
Glad to be a reminder There's clips of the real people and places on youtube, but you may want to wait until after you've seen it, as they're spoilers. Very good movie.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
If anyone is interested, CBC radio had an interview with Philomena Lee that aired on the program 'As It Happens' around the time the movie was released. Today they are re-airing it as part of a summer archive edition. It contains some further information that wasn't included in the movie (has spoilers for those who haven't seen the movie yet).

Interview can be found here: As It Happened: The Archive Edition -- The Forgiveness Episode(second one on list)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, November 03, 2014 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I liked the movie, especially the relationship of the researcher and Philomena, how close they become quite quickly and his patience with her and really caring to find out about her son, but I was a bit taken with just how quick the search was and how fast they got the results and just wondered why she waited 50 years to, even 8 years earlier would have given a chance to still find her son. But I guess that's fate, every thing has its own timing.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Good movie,but I was wanting a happier ending. There are no words for Judi Dench. Was she nominated for an Oscar?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Oh, yes! Have you seen her as Queen Victoria in Mrs. Brown. Perfection!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I saw this recently after having read the book last spring. Dame Judie is phenomenal, as she always is, but I was surprised completely by the movie. The book is not about the mother; she appears only in 3 chapters or so. The movie has hardly anything of the son, and his life was mind boggling! I wish there had been more of him in the movie. I usually wait a while between reading a book and seeing the movie so I've forgotten things and can enjoy the movie more, but I think even if I'd waited 10 years, this movie would have been a bit disconcerting.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: