TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 19, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 19, 2014 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finally watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. Loved it. After watching American Hustle on Friday, I have completed my Jennifer Lawrence/Bradley Cooper weekend.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I watched Blue Jasmine and saw August OSage County yesterday. More downer films! :-) August Osage County does provide the laughs, but really it's a downer. And Blue Jasmine gives a compelling performance from Cate, but it's also mostly a downer and I actually found myself getting a little bored at times. Both good films and amazing performances from women.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
We enjoyed Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Great reboot of the series with modernized motives.
And Chris Pine is dreamy.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, January 24, 2014 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just watched Dallas Buyers Club. Another case of topnotch acting and I totally understand all the awards that Matthew and Jared have won.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 1:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I thought Jack Ryan was super slow until last hour and even then I didnt think it was as good as the last ep of Blacklist :-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
agree with Mame. Acting was stellar. I also enjoyed learning about the DBC.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Finally saw American Hustle today. Agree with all that the acting was great, especially Christian Bale's performance. Thought the movie overall was a bit boring though. One of my faults is that if a movie doesn't hold my interest, I fall asleep and found myself dozing a few times during this movie. By comparison, Wolf of Wall Street was about an hour longer and held my attention throughout.
Also saw Labor Day this weekend. Not bad, would give it about a 6.5/7 out of 10. Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin gave good performances, but the movie didn't hold the same intensity as the book. I'd like to hear opinions of people who didn't read the book. Thought some of the flashback scenes lacked narrative explanations and could have been confusing to those that hadn't read the book first. For the most part, the movie followed the book pretty well, but there was a melding of characters and I thought the omission of Frank's grandmother muddied some of his background story.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just watched Frozen.

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
I admit I was crying at the end. I love that the act of true love was between sisters and not a prince and princess.

Loved it.

<added spoiler box>

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Uh, isn't that a spoiler? :-) I loved the film too.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I thought Labor Day was long and boring. They took forever to tell a scene. I did enjoy that the ending was as predictable as I thought it would be

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Saw Nebraska yesterday. Would give it a 10+++++!
Acting was superb. June Squib as Bruce Dern's wife stole every scene she was in. Will Forte as the son gave a wonderful performance as well, and Bruce Dern was stellar.
The underlying storyline of an adult son learning about the man his elderly father was and is was touching, and much of the movie was laugh out loud funny. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this film.
I've now seen 4 of the Oscar nominated films - Gravity, American Hustle, Wolf of Wall Street and Nebraska. Nebraska far and away is my favorite.
Hoping to catch Philomena or Dallas Buyers Club next weekend if still playing anywhere.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I also just saw, and loved, Nebraska. Great acting and good direction. I put it up there with Her and American Hustle for my favs of the year with the nid going, ever so slightly, to Her.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I've heard mixed reviews of Her, and have no desire to see it myself. I'm not a big fan of Joaquin Phoenix and the whole concept of the movie doesn't interest me.
Of the 4 nominated movies I've seen, American Hustle was my least favorite. The cast was great, but I thought the movie was draggy and boring in parts.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I'd forgotten about 12 Years a Slave. OK,that and Her were my favorite films of the year. I also just saw Captain Phillips and was surprised at how good it was. I thought it'd be sort of weak and predictable but Tom Hanks was pretty amazing in it, especially in that scene right at the end. He's sort of unlucky that Christian Bale and Matthew McC had such physically and emotionally transformaative performances this year...

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw Captain Phillips too on DVD. It's a very good film. He's such a solid actor.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have not seen Frozen, but I have seen a Coming Attraction trailer for it in a theater, and that trailer contained the information Mamie's "spoiler" had. That is what I am expecting the movie to be all about (although I likely will not see it).

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 5:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Frozen is delightful!! the 2D is amazing and the music/singing is just beautiful.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
Frozen is really good! and so is the LegoMovie. So much fun. I might have even liked it more than my 8 year old. Loved the ending!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I went to Monuments Men today and really enjoyed it. It makes me want to look further into these guys and what happened to them afterwards.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 2:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
I saw Monuments Men, too. Thought it was excellent and would like to read the book.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Sorry if this movie has already been mentioned ...(2012 ) Angel's Share. Watched it on netflix a few days ago. So funny .

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Robo cop was ok, wait for dvd, imo.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I finally saw Nebraska, which means I've seen all the films with nominations in the bug categories(picture/director/actor/actress/supporting). Anyhow, Nebraska was an utterly charming film, simultaneously full of pathos and humor, with absolutely great performances by the entire cast. It's also a beautiful film to look at in its beautiful black and white cinematography that brings the starkness of the vistas, and the main characters lives, in full relief.

*I should admit: I haven't seen, and won't see, Gravity. I don't do Bullock.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw Nebraska too and agree with everything you said about it. I laughed more than I thought I would. I really enjoyed the movie.

I was feeling badly that you'd seen all the movies until I saw your footnote. I have seen all except "Her". I haven't been this close to seeing all best pic and all best acting nominees in years, so I feel like I really need to seek out Her. Unfortunately it's not an easy one to find now and I don't have a ton of interest in it.

Adding... I would cheer wildly if June won Best Supporting Actress for Nebraska.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I just commented on Oblivion on the other thread and I would recommend it, special effects are great and an interesting sci-fi spin in the doomsday scenarios of so many other movies of this kind.