TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Wolf of Wall Street

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: The Wolf of Wall Street users admin

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Wow. That is one sassy movie!

And I probably should have paid more attention to the rating but, just going off the previews you would not expect all of the full on nudity/crude graphic sexuality in it.

Also there are f bombs every other word jsyk.

NOW having said all that, I'm weirdly going to say that it was pretty amazing. It's unconventional which is always a plus IMO for movies (as they can so often be cliche to appeal to the mainstream) the acting is honestly kind of unreal. Leo knocked his character out of the park. I mean he played him to the hilt. And actually Jonah Hill and all the side characters are simply brilliant as well.

As crude as it was, I often found myself cracking up. Mostly at the cameraderie between the main characters. It was so realistic! They are sassy boys for sure, very dirty talkers, but hey, the way I see it is that...if that's how the guys really were in real life...then go for it...be as true to life as possible.

It's an outrageous film for sure, but I'm oddly impressed with it and blown away by the acting. But seriously, the level of crude dialogue is pretty high (my mind of course blocks most of that out so I only remember the good stuff) just fair warning for anyone who doesn't like that.

I think I'm going...to...recommend it. I can't believe I'm saying that though because it's not normally my type of movie!!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Even tho Im not a big Leo fan,You make me want to go see it but the length is a deal breaker. I hope it comes out on DVD soon.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
We were looking forward to this movie, (Hubby met Jordan after he was out of jail, Jordan not hubby was in jail) He is just as cocky in real life.

We wanted to see how close to real life the movie was, it was pretty bang on.

Hubby was a little disappointed that they did not cover the industry in great detail but, I told him the movie would have been 6 hours instead of three. But I do think they should have mentioned that Steve Madden also went to jail for his part in the company going public.

So yes I would recommend the movie, it is funny but there is a lot of profanity.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Saw it yesterday. What a gobsmack of deja vu for me. I spent about 15 years investigating exactly that sort of industry (high pressure boiler rooms selling all kinds of bogus investments, using outrageous lies). I found the movie to be VERY true to what goes on in that lifestyle and that mindset.

Took a break here to read what others thought about the veracity of the movie, and most agree. I also noted that Belfort has failed to abide by his agreed upon restitution. Gosh, what a surprise. People like that don't believe in giving you back THEIR money which they stole from YOU. They always looked at it as being their money in the first place, like it is their duty to get THEIR money away from stupid people like YOU. (if that makes any sense - they really do think like that)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Not interested in the film. But ALWAYS intrigued with Juju's reminiscences and insider perspective. :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I can't wait to see this one. Hopefully this weekend.

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
I think it was just too long. And there was far too much nudity and foul language than was necessary. We got the point after the first 30 minutes. Why go on and on? I think they could have cut the repetitive stuff out.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Agreed with your assessments of the gratuitous nudity and the "talkiness" of the movie, which made it overly long.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm a huge Leo fan so I had to go see this. I enjoyed it. I heard it described as a "black comedy" and I'd say it certainly has those elements. I knew about the nudity and cursing, so wasn't really surprised. I had read the film was "manic" and while it did have those moments, I found the film was actually slow and quiet at times, and yes, repetitive. I think they could have edited it a bit tighter. That said, I still enjoyed it, esp Leo's performance. It's a humorous view into the debauchery of those crooked wall street ego maniacs. Thumbs up for me, but certainly not a film for everyone.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 1:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
9/10

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Loved this movie!!

The qualude scene was hysterical.

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 1:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
I hate how much I liked this movie. :-) It celebrates a bunch of things I really dislike: Greed. Excess. Salesmen.

The characters are mostly horrible, terrible men who make yacht loads of money by exploiting anyone and everyone that they can. But in a very entertaining, yet very bad way. Leonardo DiCaprio was great, but Jonah Hill sort of stole this.

And yes, the lude scene was hysterical. :-)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
What really surprised me was Leonardo DiCaprio's performance, it came so easy to him to act certain scenes where depravity or debauchery and the constant foul language to a point that in my opinion 'overpowered' the movie and I wonder if it was for this that he did not win the Oscar. I know he's used to being directed by Martin Scorsese but I don't know if it's the director really good or DiCaprio.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: