TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 30, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Les Miserables: Archive through December 30, 2012 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. Review below, read at your own peril. ;);)

I think the overall singing was definitely somewhat rough, but that's primarily due to the fact that they didn't dub the songs in afterwards, but just sang it live throughout the action AS THEY WERE FILMING.

Even my yummy Hugh Jackman, who is a Broadway Veteran, wasn't 100% slick with his singing. But they were going for realistic depth of emotion rather than musical perfection, and he certainly achieved it.

I thought Russel Crowe was fine. Not a strong voice, but he was effective.

I've seen the theatrical musical at least 4 times throughout the years and am used to various performers in the various roles, so maybe I'm a bit more forgiving.

I was a bit disappointed with what how they filmed one of my favourite tunes. I'm not sure, but it FELT like they shortened it, and that's the 'Beggars at the Ball' ditty. In the stage production, more is made of it, that's for sure.

The kid playing Gavroche stole the film, IMHO. What a little cutie-patootie/powerhouse! And the gal playing Eponine was OUTSTANDING.

Anne Hathaway was tremendous. Can't believe she wasn't nominated for an Oscar!

All in all, everyone was wonderful and I loved it. Bawled my head off from start to finish. :-)

Dragged DH to see it, and even he liked it, but not nearly as much as me.

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
Mame I saw Les Mis today. It was soaring. I especially enjoyed Eponine. I think she also stars in the broadway production. Ann Hathaway's brutal rendition of " I Dreamed a Dream" was heart wrenching. I think she deserves an oscar. Jackman's solo, "Bring Him Home" is one of the prettiest songs I have ever heard.
When Jackman's character is finally released of his responsibility to raise Cossette, and is thanked by the ghost of Fontaine, you could actually hear people in the audience weeping. I thought the movie was magical. I loved it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Olivia, ITA 100% I went through about 10 tissues. And the audience applauded at the end. Definitely a classic. It will be around for the ages. I love your word: Soaring. That's the perfect description of this exquisite musical. Not sure if you've ever seen the musical play but don't pass up the opportunity if you have the chance. It's equally as powerful and heart-wrenching, in a more intimate way, of course.

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
No Mame I have never seen the musical but certainly will if and when it comes to town. I will probably watch this movie again when it is available to rent. This proves that great movies can still be made and enjoyed by all.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ack! Also wanted to praise Eddie Redmayne who played Marius. He's super. Not your average pretty-boy, but more character-actor average looking. A bold casting choice. IMHO.

ETA: Someone just told me that they haven't made the Oscar noms yet, so I guess I was thinking of some other awards show that snubbed Anne in Les Mis.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The thing that impressed me most as that they were singing live, not lip syncing to a soundtrack they recorded in the studio. I think that made it feel so authentic.

I've only seen this live once and I wasn't impressed. We were in the nose bleed seats and I had worked an early shift so I was exhausted and the show put me to sleep. I heard there's a new song for the movie, which one was it?
It really is a tragic tale. I shed a tear or two. People clapped at the end of my showing as well.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Brenda, it's the song SUDDENLY - they discuss adding it in for the film here:

http://www.playbill.com/multimedia/video/5303/Hugh-Jackman-and-Les-Miz-Team-On-the-New-Song-Suddenly

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
My dh went with me not expecting to like it. #1-he's not a fan of musicals & #2-he really liked the Liam Neeson film and didn't think this would compare. He liked it! He even admitted to shedding a tear in a couple of places.
Oliviamimi, I was crying so hard at the end that it took everything I had not to start hitching and sobbing out loud. Wasn't thrilled with Russel Crowe as Javert, I'm used to a deeper voice in the part. But when he sang "Stars" he drew me in.
I applauded at the end, I was the only one, but others started to after me. Even dh clapped. I'm definitely going to see it again and I informed my family that if I don't get the dvd for my b'day (in March-it should be released around then) "there's gonna be hell to pay at the end of the day".
BTW-it was only a tissue movie, but mine were the triple ply...lol

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We went to Les Mis Thursday night and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Would agree that Russel Crowe probably wasn't the best Javert but all in all the cast did very well. The end of the movie hit us very hard as my mother just passed a week ago. My mother's passing had also brought back those suppressed emotions for my wife as she lost both of her parents just a few years ago. Guess we were both a bit emotionally raw and the ending had us both in tears.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I saw the musical many many moons ago and was bored. My girlfriend suggested we take the husbands to see the movie Mon night,these guys are manly men so I think they would go kicking and screaming.I cant imagine them sitting thru a musical and a long musical at that.I think Djanjo will be better suited for the foursome. Maybe her and I can check it out later.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for starting this thread and the great reviews and discussion. I so loved seeing it live with all the performers and orchestra that I fear I will miss that in the movie. However, I think the movie must add realism. I'm not sure if I'll like that or not.

Spoiler to follow. Funny story. We used to go see a lot of these shows with another couple who likes musicals. She wasn't sure about Les Mis as she thought she would find it too depressing. However, I convinced her that it was a wonderful uplifting story of redemption (which it is) and not depressing. So we were sitting there watching it with her concerns in mind and I gradually realized that by the end of the musical, virtually the entire cast is dead!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Lakecat I did drag hubby basically said 'I sat through the Hobbit {blah} for you, so you owe me one. LOL. He grudgingly admitted he quite enjoyed it. <GRIN> But he insists I tell you his rating is 3.4 out of 10. (I'm pretty sure he's kidding.

Jimmer, lol, NOT QUITE the ENTIRE cast bit the biscuit... just MOST. ;);)

At some point, I am going to want to see this again. Just wish they'd done more with my fave bits which are the whackadoodle Thenardiers' songs.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Oops, meant to say it was a 3 tissue movie for me. Loved Sasha Baron Cohen & Helena Bonham Carter as the Thenardiers! Wish they'd had a bigger presence like in the stage production, too.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
daughter and i are heading out in 30 to see it. i am not wearing mascara cause i cried like a baby during the musical and the commercials keep making me tear up!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yay Tex! Can't wait to read your take on it. Enjoy!!!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
From what you're saying, I agree that it's too bad if they didn't do more with the Thernardiers in the movie. In many respects, it's a very dark musical, and the Thernardiers' over the top nastiness and humor provided some much needed comic relief.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We saw it on Christmas day and loved it. The only singer who annoyed me most thoroughly was Marius - his voice was just too constricted/tight. His blond friend, though - WOW! I adored his voice - he was the one who truly sounded trained for Broadway - the power and accuracy! I liked all the main stars as well; it's definitely different than the live version, but still fabulous.

And yes, Mame, Gavroche totally stole the show! :-)

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
am exhausted. feel like i fought the french revolution! after all the reviews of russell crowe, i was really expecting him to be horrible. i thought he did a good job...in the beginning half. it's almost like he became tired midway through and his voice suffered. i thought they used the Thernadiers like they did in the musical. Was the little boy Gavorche? if so he was great.
Eponine as amazing. Anne Hathaway took my breath away. I never once felt that Hugh Jackman was acting...i believed him ever step of the way.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Gavroche/12 year old Daniel Huttlestone

http://screenterrier.blogspot.ca/2012/03/les-miserables-finds-its-gavroche.html

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
thanks for the link, mame. it's kind of cool reading all the other people who have performed in Les Mis who are also in the cast.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
YVW Ms. Tex. :-)

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
I will never forget the song Jackman sang, Bring him Home, or the song Hathaway sang. They were both so brilliant in their performances. Best film and best acting I have seen in 20 years.
My all time favorite movies list is very short. Les Mis will now be on it. My other favorite movies are, The Godfather, Tender Mercies and 300. Very wide range of subject matter lol

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I was looking forward to seeing this, but after reading so many posts here and elsewhere about viewers crying start to finsh think I'll wait for the dvd. I don't mind shedding a tear at a movie, but crying for 3 hours isn't outside of the privacy of my own home is a turn off.
Opted instead to see Django this afternoon. Won't go into reviewing it here, but I LOVED it. Far exceeded my expectations.

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
I know many cried at the incredibly sad fates and injustices done to innocent people. I cried only at the end when Jackman's character dies. I didn't cry because it was sad. I cried because it was a beautiful moment of release for him. In other words his life had been one of incredible hardship but he had managed to do the one thing that mattered most to him. He had protected and raised Cossette, Fontaine's daughter. I don't know. I didn't cry because it was sad, I cried because the moment was just too beautiful for words.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. It's amazing how a story can be so sad and yet uplifting at the same time.